Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Hi everyone, my name is Dominic and im probably one of the youngest fishraiders out there. I am 16 next month and im currently studying my final year at school. After i finish school i hope to get into a 4 year apprentaship as a plumber then hopefully go on to become a licenced builder.

I have been fishing ever since i could remember, with my old man taking me out to the wharf chasing yakkas on hand lines. About 6 years ago we purchased a old fibreglass half cabin, and we have been restoring it over the years and about 3 years ago it finaly hit the water, and i never enjoyed fishing more.

Me and my dad usualy fish botany, and occaisionaly sydney harbour and the hawkesburry. I love night fishing and don't mind the cold at all(bring on those hairtail nights :biggrin2: ) This year i hope to catch and mainly target kingfish and dolphin fish out of botany specificaly.

As i get older i hope to buy my own first boat, and hopefully meet alot raiders to fish with.

see you on the water :1fishing1:

• Like 2

All right - here goes

My name is Simon, I'm 30 years old, and have been fishing for as long as I can remember (though I've only become nutty about it in the last five years). I grew up in Canberra but my family spent almost every school holiday and most weekends at Bawley Point on the South Coast of NSW. It was here that my fishing passion grew, through scamming rides on boats with total strangers at the local boat ramp, helping the old local luderick fishermen tie knots and untangle lines (whilst quitely pumping them for information), and harrassing my dad (who doesn't fish) into early morning sessions off the point or beach for tailor, trevally, bream flatties whiting and Salmon.

I was much more into surfing in my younger years and spent most of my free time searching for waves, rather than fish, however as I have grown older (and larger - 6'4" @ 115kg) my ocean obsession has taken a more piscatorial direction.

I am most content on a deserted beach somewhere with a bucket of pippis and worms, a rising tide and a good gutter. On most weekends these days you can find me at Maroubra Beach doing exactly that (minus the 'deserted' bit) or wandering the local rocks and bays trying to get the place even half as wired as I had Bawley Point. I could happily spend all day wandering a 100metre stretch of headland looking at rock pools, staring at the water or snorkelling to check out the underwater structure.

This may all change, however, as I have recently got my hands on a new boat and am starting to explore the wild new world of trailerboat fishing. I have yet to bag my first king/jew/dollie but will be devoting myself to this task over summer this year.

And I'm always keen for an excuse to go fishing. Any Raiders in the Eastern Suburbs are welcome to join me on my local meanderings at any time!!

• Like 1

G'day all,

Names Peter, 18 and work the boring life of retail sales in the electronic industry.

Own an open runabout, just over 4m in length and generally fish in the Georges river although havn't been out due to alot of other commitments.

Havn't really all been a big fisho, mainly a boatie with one day hoping to own a nice plate ally that I can take out of the heads and get back into the fishing scene.

Feel free to drop me a message if you need any advice on electronics and I'll try my best out for the raiders.

Ships Ahoy,

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Rob and I've been lurking around this site for almost 2 years now which is about how long I have been seriously back into fishing, I manage 2 community newspapers have a great partner who is a school teacher a 20yr old step daughter, 8 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son the two young ones love to come out for a fish but the 20 yr old wouldn't be caught dead getting up at 3.30 in the morning to touch smelly fish :074:

I recently purchased jewhunters yak and am about to embark on many bass fishing adventures in my local river the nepean. Mostly I flick placcies for bream and flatties or beach fish for whiting and flatties.

My biggest claim to fame fishing wise so far is holding the FR record for saltwater catfish which I'm sure Stewy is going to be trying hard to earn his crown back.

My other passion is cars and I am currently restoring a 1970 valiant hardtop which is why I don't own a boat as I can't afford 2 expensive hobbies so the boat has to wait till the val is finished (the yak was my compromise)

I also get out and fish port hacking quite regularly on my mates freedomsport, I visit this site way too much particularly while I should be working and absolutely love it and have met a lot of great people.

Edited by robthefisherman
  • Like 1

Hi All

My name is Randall and I am 23 and have just moved to Sydney for work. I grew up in the country out west in a town called Coonabarabran. I went to uni at Newcastle and studied Civil Engineering. I now work for a major contractor currently based in Rhodes. Live in Strathfield and always keen for a fish. I have only recently started fishing seriously using mainly soft plastics for bream and flathead.

If anyone is looking for some company when fishing send us an email or PM. I fish around the Hen and chicken bay land based often.

Cheers

Randall

(newatthegame)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all Dave (offtap1) i am from west sydney penrith area, i run an electrical business at St Marys. I had given up fishing when i sold my last boat about 12yrs ago , but purchased my latest boat early this year and have taken to the fishing bug with vengeance, i have fished Broken bay, Sydney, and Botany weekly since then, im still on that big learning curve and loving it. My Son has become a proud little fisherman and never knocks back any trip wide or even over nighters. I currently have a 4.6 stejcraft which on good days have taken to far fads 22ks for that dollie experience that leaves you trembling. I have a new Custom Plate Allie boat being built in Nowra which should take me anywhere i want to go. 6.8m monster. I love bottom bashing reefs and wrecks and lately hitting the pelagic stuff to keep my inspiration high. I have fallen in love with Fishraider and surf the forum as often as i can. Cheers Everyone Dave.

Edited by offtap1

Gday

I'm Dave, extremely late thirties, two wonderful, great, pain in the ? teenage boys.

I fish out of a twelve foot tinny in Botany Bay, Georges River and Port Hacking. The tinny has been in the family for thirty-five years and with a coat of dulux every now and then does the job perfectly.

I spend most of the time chasing bream, flathead and whiting and whilst I'm not the greatest fisherman in the world I usually get a feed. I like nothing better than sitting in the middle of the bay with a cup of tea watching the sunrise in spring and summer. I dont use lures and sp's very often as I enjoy the bait gathering as much as the fishing (almost). Odd though it may sound I dont mind starting the fishing morning off with a quick fifteen minute nipper pumping session.

Outside of fishen i spend some of my time with kids footy and the rest down the pub or at work with a trade union.

• Like 1

hey there,

well my name is ben but most people call me skip, ive been married for just on 4 years now and live in Roselands, i work in the security industry with guard dogs and have been around boats since i can remember, ive only been into fishing for about 3 or 4 years now and love to get out on the georges river,botany bay or the port hacking to have some fun, my boat is a cruise craft hustler 570 which ive had for about 6 months now. i live on one of the main roads on roselands right next to the shopping centre and if im not working at work im in the front yard playing with my boat so if you ever see me out the front or on the water come over and say hello

It's hard to believe that I haven't replied to this thread.

I'm Grant, 37 yrs old & I'm married with 2 young boys to keep me entertained. I cannot remember ever not fishing &, trying not to sound like a big wanker, have always had a knack of catching fish.

I am a landbased fisho who loves catching Jewies from the beach or stones. I get quite a few of the bread & butter species on plastics & lures down at the local bay as well.

I am a swimming pool builder & have run my own business since I was 19 & I am a very proud part owner of this site. I can't handle fishos with big egos ( they are only fish! ) & that's what I love about Fishraider. No egos, family friendly & people who are willing to help & share info.

From 2000 to 2002 my wife & I travelled the world with the backpacks on. We visited 40 countries, caught some great fish & it truly was a life changing experience.

When I was 21 I was diagnosed with cancer but beat it after 10 months of chemo. Thankfully ( touch wood! ) it hasn't come back.

In a months time we are doing the 'seachange' thing & are moving to a house on the Tweed River in Murwillumbah on the NSW far north coast. There are some exciting times ahead.

Cheers,

Grant.

• Like 1

Hi All,

My name is Matt. I am 29 years young.

I have been a silent member for a little while now, but i thought i would post a reply.

I currently live at Camden South. I am married and have 3 of the four legged variety children, 2 staffies (Rocky and Ally) and a Turlte named Nige. I did have 2 turtles that were nameless for quite a while but I lost one a little while ago, so the :wife: showing her warped sense of humour decided to name to other one nige (short for Nigel no friends).

Currently work for a Fleet Leasing Company in North Ryde but I am a grease monkey by trade.

Bought my first boat a short while ago, and started to surf the net for boating and fishing info and thats when I found Fishraider. Trying to come to grips with the whole boat launch & retrieve thing. First time out had to tend with drongo's racing up and down past the ramp creating waves and the second outing ran out of petrol just as I was heading towards the trailer (was a good home movie moment).

I have only just started fishing again after a 9to 10 year abscense. The :wife: isn't too keen on it, but the inlaws bought a holiday house down the gong at Bellambi, so being only 800mtrs from the beach and the boat ramp I thought I may just have to revive a once enjoyable hobby. A trip up to Cairns and a fishing charter up there also had something to do with it as well.

Other than down the gong i will mostly be fishing out of Botany, so hope to meet a few fellow raiders on the water. As soon as I re-familiarise myself with the fish, techniques and the scene again.

I am keen to get together with gongfisho (Ben) when I get a spare minute so he can show me the gong and what I can expect from down there.

Anyways, I will leave it at that and hopefully get a chance to post a report in the not too distant future.

Matty B

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

been lurking for a bit and thought I'd register.

I'm a 37 year old with a love of fishing and motorbikes.

Share the use of a 4.5m Mercury with my fishing partner, who just happens to be my ex. Did I mention I was Female? And get seasick in big waves? :074:

We fish mainly around Sydney, looking for flatties bream and the odd leatherjacket,and around the lake down at Windang, but dont seem to be able to get out very much lately.

Would love to catch a hairtail or dolphinfish one day.

Cheers all,

Kat

Hello all,

been lurking for a bit and thought I'd register.

I'm a 37 year old with a love of fishing and motorbikes.

Share the use of a 4.5m Mercury with my fishing partner, who just happens to be my ex. Did I mention I was Female? And get seasick in big waves? :074:

We fish mainly around Sydney, looking for flatties bream and the odd leatherjacket,and around the lake down at Windang, but dont seem to be able to get out very much lately.

Would love to catch a hairtail or dolphinfish one day.

Cheers all,

Kat

Yesssssssss another female member. I am waiting for the day we can have a female vs male raiders FUN comp :biggrin2:

Welcome Kat :thumbup: and come along to our annual Hairtail Hunt next year for that hairtail

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just found this thread!

My name is Roberta (Yes - another one of those pesky females!) & I am 53. I live with my 'older' triathlete husband at Forster, mid north coast. Luckily, we are both 'retired' and pretty well do what we enjoy doing! Keith does his training, I do my fishing! I loved fishing when we lived in Qld - as kids we would fish the Maroochydore River at the Cod Hole. Caught mud crabs on my toes & was saved from drowning there by my brother! Moved to Sydney in the early 60's (Mona Vale) & occasionally fished Pittwater with my dad, but he died in '68 & we moved to Wollstonecraft & that was it for fishing for me until I moved to New Zealand in the mid 80's! But I have made up for it since!

That kick started it for me! In my 30's, I got into trout fishing in a big way (the normal trout rod to use in NZ was a 12! They have biiiiig rivers!) Also now have a 6 & 8! Biggest trout was a shade under 10lb! Quite a few 7lbers and lots of 4lb & under. Returned to Aussie in '99 & fished Lake Lyle (when it had water!) and ate at the great little pub up the back there (?Rydal?). Then we found 'heaven' in the form of Forster and live here quite happily.

Initially started fishing for 'anything' and occasionally got something. Now I mainly target Flatties in the leases in my kayak on sps and my biggest is 75cm landed - been busted off by monsters - the head being too big to fit into the net! Now, I love blackfishing - biggest one currently is 45cm (busted off by huge ones, too) and have landed 2 soapie jewies from the breakwall, with the bigger ones busting me off & heading for NZ! I was fishing for bream on fresh worms at the time!

Still remember the first time I really got into my first tailor 'hot bite' at One Mile beach here - every cast a winner - even using half a pillie, you still got great fish! First & last time I caught 'the bag limit' - cos then you have to lug them home, clean them, fillet them, freeze or give them away - all in the dark ...... easier just to catch a few & have an excuse to go back the next day for more!

We also have a 'foldabote' that we take camping with us (campervan) and I love hitting the Qld bass & barra dams. It is my dream to catch & land a decent barra on my own. Will invest in a small downrigger soon, to assist the bass bashing & trout, next time we go south! As the other half doesn't fish, I am a bit hesitant to go out too far on my own (kayak or foldaboat) but have recently invested in a $5 'foghorn' that you just blow into & I reckon Half of Forster would be coming to my aid! Amazing bit of technology for something so cheap & simple that doesn't need batteries or gas! Blew it hard the other day & everyone in the house (who was expecting it) still nearly had a heart attack! It now lives permanently in the kayak, as extra insurance and peace of mind!

Roberta

PS Just had Keith & his twin brother Fran out on the breakwall this morning, showing them the finer art of blackfishing and they both caught fish! Fran would have had a beautie, but he reefed the rod too hard & pulled the hook right out of the fish's mouth! Got the Doctor, tho! Ha Ha

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1

Hi Raiders!

A mate of mine introduced to this great site to me a little while back and have been lurking around so I thought it was about time I'd give a quick intro. My name is Warren, 23yo from Maroubra and still a newbie when it comes to fishing as it is hobby which I've recently decided to take up. :1prop:

I mainly fish in Botany along the rock wall on Cooks River but would love to try other landbased places in and around Sydney and perhaps one day buy myself a boat!

Hope to meet some of you soon as you all seem like a great bunch of people! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

As per the username I'm Chris the 55 is my year of entry makes me 51 and counting

Live in Bankstown and that's been most of my life and married to my wife Karen for the past

27 yrs, 2 daughters 21 & 18 who think they are share holders at the "Bank of Dad"

I work in the Forestry industry selling spare parts for timber harvesters since '98, before this

worked as a mechanic and in heavy industry from stores to inventy/purchasing to parts sales

Ive been out of fishing for a while but am starting to get back into it, even stiring the need to fish

with a mate that has be too busy as well (we're getting his boat ready for the summer)

Other hobbies (read motor bikes and tropical fish keeping) took up most of my time then

Had some great trips with the boys in the past, nothing like dropping a wheel bearing 120 km out of Townsville pulling a 6.4 mt Broadbill on the way to Pt Douglas :05:

Found the site when googling info for a new reel to fit up on my Daiwa Procaster yehaa BONUS

finally found a Sydney based website :1prop:

Looking to target estuary and Bass this time round but always willing to be social if someone needs

a DAB (desperate and boatless) fishing friend (until I convince she who will be obeyed that we really

need a tinnie)

Chris

Edited by Chris 55

G'day all,

just a quick intro.

joined today so I figure I should quickly do the social bit !

What to say Hmmm !

hope I'm in the right Place here !

Well I'm married with 2 kids a dog and several cars and a boat of course. live in Sydneys Hills district.

Been fishing since I was 6 and may have improved my skills marginally since then so the name Tryhard is probably inconsistant with the effort ! but then again Ive been called a tryhard so why not ?

I have been browsing the site recently and figure from the experience displayed, if I want to improve the catch rate then I will have to do more reading, and maybe impose upon some of the experts to 'learn me a thing a two'.

I dont get out on the water all that much, so the report posts will be fairly lean, hopefully I can contribute in other ways (I got money prob's too so we arent talkin cash!).

Any way that's me for now, Ill be looking for some help from the boating fraternity tomorrow !

Hi to all the fishraiders

little bit about myself,im 30 and have recently moved to sydney to be with my partner of 4yrs.

Originally from midnorthcoast.eg Nambucca hds and have been fishin since a kid ,Grew up catchin

perch in the upper reaches of bellbrook ,and have fished off every rock from Coffs to Hathead.

Some pb are 6lb perch,4lb bream ,7lb flattie and a 15kg jewie of the rocks,Bought my first boat 6mth ago

and have since sold it and bought another and now looking towards snapper and pelagics.Im a chef during the week and fisher on weekends ,launch boat from parsley bay but am looking forward to fishing botany and a few other places.And look forward to meeting a few fellow fishraiders also

Craig :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Great site - Just came across it and I love it!!!

Now a bit about me..... Names Steve and I lived and fished in Canberra until I was 25 when I married my lovely wife and moved to her home town of Wollongong 10 years ago. I have 2 kids, a dog and a fighting fish.

I have worked as a solicitor for the past 10 years where I have specialised in litigation and tax law.

I have a 4.75m Seafarer Venus that I have used to extensively fish around Wollongong, Jervis Bay and the Shoalhaven river. My biggest Jewie so far has been just over 23lb and my biggest flattie so far has been 72cm. Yet to catch a decent king or Dollie but this year I am going to have a decent crack at these.

In my (much) younger days I was the Australian Olympic Weightlifting Champion for many years and had the pleasure of seeing the worlds strongest men compete in the World Super Heavy Weight champoinships. In that competition I saw the world record Clean and Jerk broken. The winner lifted an amazing 273 kg - awesome !!

Evets :biggrin2:

Hi all,

My names Katrina, I am 24 and yes female. I live in the Western Sub's area.

I love my fishing and have been getting out every weekend of late. I go with my dad mainly, he lived on the Hawkesbury river when he was young, and we used to stay there all the time at my nan's, his family have lived on the river all their lives. I convinced him he needed to buy a boat nearly 2 years ago (haines hunter 630f signature named Mary-Kat after me and my sister) was the best thing he ever brought in his life, say hi if you see us out.

We frequent the Hawkesbury, Pittwater, Harbour, south coast and go out on all nighters as well. Have just recently started doing a few comps and i love it. Every year we go to the south coast for a week and have an absolute ball, (being the only female i get to let loose and act like a guy while we are there). We also go for the annual marlin trip every year.

I work full time, and also run a wedding decoration business. Recently got married and own a house with my hubby.

Here is one of my favourite catches.

post-2319-1167956190_thumb.jpg

Look forward to seeing you all at a social

Fisherwoman

:1prop: Hi All!

Bein criusin the for a while now and i stumbled on this thred just now.

i live on the far south coast of NSW at merimbula n I reckon i must be one of the youngest members at 15! this might sound great to a heap of you older members but it leaves me in a predicament every now and then. eg. im only able to drive a boat with a liscenced driver looking over myshoulder (usually dad) :mad3: n im still a little to young to pinch one of the boats for the w/end! (even if we have a yard full of them, diff shapes and sizes. )....

but i love fishing with dad and my two bros, (chris-18 and ryan-12) and i cant get enough of hauling in big flatties!

my PBs arent that great but i just love leaving behind technology and gettin out on the water.

going into yr 10 this year :tease: and im not sure how ill take it. hence the WISHINIWASFISHIN!

i love fast anything, i race go-karts, water ski, love to go with dad on the road bike and drive the utes whenever possible.

Anyway enough about me

Adam

PS. thanx to everyone who makes this site such a dream! it helps me heaps :1fishing1::yahoo:

Hi my name is jorg AKA snag im 39 work as a real estate agent in fairfield, married with 3 kids jacky who is 17 jacob who is 15 and the little monster Eva who is nearly 6.

Been fishing since i was a kid and have now been fishing plastics for more than 5yrs.

I own a pro stacer tournament boat with a 75 optimax on the back..... and have Huett Marine and stacer boat signs on the boat.The boats blue so you carnt miss it...say hi if you see me

Love fishing and try getting out 2 days per week, most of the time bream and bass.

Try to get on all the sites as much as i can, but like most thing in life time always goes by so quick and your always doing something else.

Thats enough about me for now. Hope everyone has a happy new yr and take care.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Guess I better put something Here too...

My name is Rodger.... and I only tripped over the site a couple of weeks ago.... after a long search for something like it.

1'm 37 (keep having to remember that Kelvin (namesay) is 1yr and 3 days older than me...(Ha ha hawknose...you will be truning grey before me)

Im married to a pommy yorkshire lass (gawd what was I thinking?) with two step kids and 15 and 12yr old boys.

& I live in southwestern sydney near Liverpool... after spending near 10 years living in Yass Near Canberra where I did my stint of Freshwater....

My fishing background is long and varied.....

Started fishing as soon as I could hold a rod and for many years if I wasnt at school or working that was what I would be doing....

Kelvin (namesay) and I spent our Highschool years together masacreing Blackfish on the Georges river as well as rock hopping for drummer, blackfish and taylor...

I ended up down in Yass for some time and became an avid fly fisherman... (biggest was a 7lb brown from Eucumbene river and 6lb rainbow from same on 4x leaders) and tied my own flies etc...

(still have all the gear if someone is interested PM me)

Now Im back in sydney and back to the salt...

I have a white 4.6m Stessl international runabout.... (looked at other bigger boats but they couldny sneak into the shallows for the Lizzards...which I do well for)....

And I want to get out fishing ... ALL THE TIME!!! (stangely my wife enjoys the time away from me...no probs there as long as I can go fishing!...I want one of those shirts ...you know the ones!)

Haven quite got the kids interested enuf yet...

Cheers

Rodger Wearne

G'day all

I'm Simon, just found the site the other day and joined straight away.

I'm 36 years old, married with two little ones and live in Illawong about 50 mts from the boat ramp near the old ferry.

I haven't fished seriously in about 20 years and recently moved up from melbourne for work. I guess being near the river has sparked my interest again!

Can't think of any PB's from the distant past, memory is a little hazy that far back.

I am currently land based but I hope that as time goes on I can either talk the missus into a small boat or maybe get to know a few people and ride along sometime.

Cheers

Simon