Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Hey guys,

Long time fan of the forum but this is my first post. I thought I'd start with this since I really love fishing and would love to be more involved in this amazing community. 

My name is Simon or you can call me Nom (Alias that's stuck from the video gaming days) I'm 29 yrs old and from Sydney. I have loved fishing from the moment my dad took me for the first time as a kid. However, I only really got into it about a year ago after I had to get knee surgery from an ACL tear I got from sports. My 2nd knee surgery on top of all the fractured bones and rolled joints. I thought I am most likely going to be a cripple at the rate I'm going so why not switch to one of my other hobbies that is less taxing on the knees.

I am a bit of an amateur fisherman but I am very keen to learn. I have picked up quite a bit in the last year of fishing (well at least I think). My PB is a 74cm jewfish I caught last year and I know it was from sheer luck because I have not been able to catch a jewie since. I usually fish for silver trevally and squid but I would love to catch a kingfish one day. 

I'm mainly a landbased fisherman but will jump on a boat when I can as long as its not in open ocean water. I tried deep sea fishing once which sent my head spinning for 2 days straight. I fish mainly on the piers/wharfs or wading in the shallow sand banks. I have tried surf and rock fishing with limited success but hopefully I can pick up some tips from you guys.

• Like 3

A very warm welcome to the forum Simon. I'm sure that you will learn plenty of things on here and may even join up with some other members who have similar desires. Be patient, ask questions, feel free to comment. Very few people are treated like fools on this site and there are plenty of very experienced anglers who will share much information...although many don't share where the action is. That's their prerogative and needs to be respected as such. Good luck and don't be afraid to post your successes and failures. We all have them. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 2

Thanks Big Neil, Rebel, Mrsswordie. 

Definitely I find myself these days at work spending a lot of time on google maps looking for new spots to fish. I think working it out is also part of the fun. 

@mrsswordfisherman haha will do although I do want to put that part of my life behind me. It’s taken so much time out of my life already 

Hey @motiondave

Haha I would love to get back into gaming but the missus won’t be too happy about it. She already limits my fishing time to once a week which is probably not a bad thing. I played basically all of Blizzard’s games, countless hours on world of Warcraft and Starcraft. Played a bit of counter strike but was never good at it. Maybe when I have kids it would be a good excuse to get back into it (argument for spending quality Father Time 😂) I actually lived in parramatta till last year I moved to Liverpool area.

8 hours ago, nomispro said:

Hey @motiondave

Haha I would love to get back into gaming but the missus won’t be too happy about it. She already limits my fishing time to once a week which is probably not a bad thing. I played basically all of Blizzard’s games, countless hours on world of Warcraft and Starcraft. Played a bit of counter strike but was never good at it. Maybe when I have kids it would be a good excuse to get back into it (argument for spending quality Father Time 😂) I actually lived in parramatta till last year I moved to Liverpool area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raiders,

My name is Luke. I am coming into this fishing thing a bit late (I'm 40) after watching my brothers grow up fishing regularly but never really taking an interest myself. Anyway with a bit of prompting from my father-in-law and a recent boat purchase, I've got the bug and am trying to make up for lost time. Still a total newbie but having fun on the water and loving introducing my kids to the sport. Hopefully I will have a few reports to post over summer.

Fishing Pittwater, Cowan Creek, Lower Hawkesbury, Lake Macquarie, Swansea

Cheers,

Luke

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1478.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 10.41.26 am.png

• Like 5

Welcome @Luko78, awesome first report too btw, you seem to fish the same areas of me and not far from me, as for fishing Lake Mac/Swansea area, be sure to checkout this :

Lake Mac Land Based 

Also have a good read up on scratchies guide to port stephens if you venture up that way>

Fishing Port Stephens

And don't be afraid to use that search bar, there is literally 100s of thousands of posts on similiar subjects and locations.

20 hours ago, Luko78 said:

Cheers Squ!rt, yeh I have been scouring the forums for a month or two before making my first post. This site is an awesome resource.

Welcome to fishraider You will find answers to most fishing questions here. 

Yell if you need anything and we look forward to your reports :)

mrsswordie

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone my name is Rick.

I live in Mobile Alabama. I am a Die Hard fisherman here, We have lots of big game fish here in the Gulf of Mexico as well.

I use mostly very large live baits or large cut bait, which have landed me some really nice big game fish.

We are coming to visit in April of 2020 and I am excited to fish there.

Been watching a lot of you tube video's about fishing in Sydney and mostly small fish being caught under 6 kilo's from the shore, can the big one's be caught using larger live bait?

• Like 1

Hello Raiders 

New to the forum only discovered fish raider in recent months.  Would like to introduce myself and the family to the community so this is my first post. 

A bit about myself, my name is Dan (Dan0) I'm 54 and from Sydney originally grew up around Balmain and Leichhardt, (whatever happened to Balmain High school?) but have resided in Brisbane last 14 years or so with my ever supportive wife and kids 6 and 8.. Have loved being on or near the water all my life. Used to hire kayaks at the Spit and windsurfers at Balmoral.  Fished around Iron Cove and surrounds. I remember my first ever job as work experience was working at Drummoyne Boatshed, standing on a barrel on a tender reaching up polishing brass portholes sun shining, gentle breeze- I thought it was the best job ever at the time. 

Have dived around Sydney and hung around most beaches, Though I love the water haven’t been a huge fisho(s) until about last year when the wife said “ time to go fishing with the kids and create some memories” I read that as go buy a boat, so I did and scored a 43 year old 5m half cabin for a bargain price - owner said still runs perfect... Aaaanyway, after a few minor hick-ups  we introduced the kids to boating and fishing and they loved it. My son Michael caught his first ever fish just recently. The biggest win though is wife loves fishing - YAY!

So now we are trying to fit in learning more about the fine art of fishing and hope to devote some decent time to fishing / boating so here we are. Kids love bream and whiting (and little crabs) but I am keen on catching something bigger. Incidentally in the 6 months or so we’ve been out fishing we have caught about 6 fish - all released lol so hoping to improve on the stats. Usually around Pine River or Bribie Passage both on the boat or off the beach. Have been across to Moreton Island = 1 small cod. 

So needless to say we are all amateur fisherpeople but keen to learn. Have picked up a few pointers here and there already like don’t use bread, don’t play the radio loud, don’t let the kids swim where your fishing, don’t leave bait in the boat overnight etc. (Incidentally I am looking for a bigger boat). So hope to catch up with like minded people and hopefully make some new friends along the way. 

Kind Regards

Dan

Resized_20191019_145056-1-1.jpg

Edited by Dan0
  • Like 1

@Dan0 welcome you and the family to fishraider.

It is great to have a woman angler around - it gets lonely here!! Get your wife to join up as mrsDan0 and post away. 
Plenty of reports and helpful info here. Use the search engine and spend hours learning from members past and present. We have beginners right up to expert and experienced anglers in our membership. 

Cheers Donna (community manager)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey raiders

I've lurked here for ages and decided to join.

Started taking fishing seriously in Dec last year. Since then I have spent my life savings on it.

I'm based in the central coast but fish everywhere in between there and port Stephen's.

I'm aboard purple haze, feel free to holla or join me for fishing :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone

my name is mark im in my mid 30s

ive been checking fishraider for tips for awhile now and decided to be a member

ive been fishing Land Based for 2 years now and still considers myself a beginner.

i usually fish with my missus every sunday about 1-2 hours drive around sydney  and by myself for the rest of the week if im off from work :))

i started as a bait fisherman with my wife ie casting pilchards and leaving the rod in a rod holder and about a year ago a mate introduced me to lure fishing and im hooked ever since then. i mostly just do lure fishing now but will do bait fishing and lure fishing with 2 rods for more chances ;)

just a little bit about my gear for those that might consider me for their fishing trips landbased or boat (will pay for fuel etc)

major craft crosstage 862eh with sedona 3000hg reel for squidding

certate 5000lt and 96mh demon blood/shoregun evolv 103h/zenaq sonio m for medium lure fishing

saltiga 5500h with zenaq accura hh for heavy lure fishing

i live in bankstown area

feel free to hit me up if you want a fishing buddy :)

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What’s up guys!! 

My names Johnny.  I’m 28 from sydney. Been a landbased bait fisherman for years, but recently got into a bit of jig fishing with a mate!

i don’t have too many fishing mates so it’d be sick to find a few people to have a regular fish with.
Would love to get into more jigging and  out for a fish in general. 

so if you need someone to head out with hit me up! Especially if you get thursdays n sundays off 

🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼

Looking for a fishing buddy launch out of Sydney chase what ever is running ‘boats a 21 foot glass boat setup for game fishing however chase the bite up and down the coast kings ,snapper just a enjoy a fish so if your like minded or want to learn throw me a message😁 

Hi, I’m Ben, 40 yrs old currently living in Ballina as of 6 weeks ago relocated from Batemans Bay. Have been fishing since I can remember with my great grandparents, grandparents and parents all avid fishermen. Love every form of fishing and never stop learning new techniques and styles. Just recently upgraded my boat to a brand new Formosa 580 x with a 150 Yamaha 4stroke only got 6 hours on it at present and can’t find an opportunity to get it out at present with the worst cornflake weed in the area the locals have seen, renowned for blocking up water intakes and cooking motors. On top of that big winds. My favourite fishing is land based both beach for salmon, tailor, Jew and shark, and flicking hard bodies and plastics in the shallows for lizards. Had great success with little white bait suspended divers and lightly weighted shrimp plastics.

if I can share any info I have picked up over the years I will, and as I said I’m always learning and looking for advice and new techniques. Heading off for my first run at swains reef in June 2020 so I will be seeking any and all advice on gear to prep before I go. Nice to meet you all and good luck on the water!

34C957DD-285D-4E56-9DFC-6D18FB0FA120.jpeg

Edited by Stino
Added pic

Gday all, long time avid rock fisher here.

Based on Sydney’s northern beaches, bluefish point being my favourite spot.

Back in the early naughts I used the online name Rockhoppa for everything, games, poker, got an old hotmail acc in that name too. Nowadays that handle is always taken that’s why I use ‘originalrockhoppa’

Joshko is my name, look forward to interacting with you guys and gals

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...