Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Hi all, thought I would start up this thread for members to get to know each other a little. We have had so many new members in the last few months and its interesting to know where we all come from.

I am mrsswordfisherman aka Donna and have the honour of being one of 2 female members on this site :diepig: . I am a moderator on this site and visit daily to read about the experiences of members. I am pushing 50 ( but sometimes act like a 20 yr old :smoke::beersmile::1yikes: ) and am the partner of swordfisherman aka Stewy.

I am a mother of 2 beautiful and smart daughters. A Registered Nurse involved with Nurse Education/OH&S, I enjoy trivia, fishing, the arts, 10 pin bowling and online card tournament directing and competing (cribbage, canasta, euchre etc.)

I have only been fishing for a year or two but I am learning real fast and have a great mentor in swordfisherman. My catches are not that notable but all caught on sp's. In fact I have never used live bait and have literally "grown up" on these plastic wonders. Best so far is a bass of 52 cms and a pb flattie of 56 cms. I enjoy reading the posts from members and learn something every day. We can be seen around the Sydney waterways in our teal coloured Polycraft boat, give us a wave if you see us.

Don't forget to fill in your member profile and send a personal message at any time if any problems.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

ADDIT: A few months after I posted the above in 2006 I became one of the 3 owners of fishraider.

I am the only female owner of a fishing website in Australia I believe. Now, 12 months on, there are now many, many more then 2 female members, women who like to fish and join in with their hubbys, sons, dads etc.... are now regular contributors to this site.

Our aim is to have the forum evolve into a place where women, young folk and men can share their fishing experiences from beginners to the more experienced. A website that is informative, educational and enjoyable with offline activity such as socials, workshops and lots more.

Contribute to fishraider, don't be shy and enjoy it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I'm Pete known as MallacootaPete on here. I have been living in the U.S. for the past 8 years and recently returned to Sydney's Northern Beaches..where the air and water are a hellava lot cleaner to say the least. I occasionally fished wide in California from Morro Bay..lots of fun but fish were a lot more scarce than here in Oz.

Taken up fishing again since my return, mostly local beaches and particularly Narra Lake trying to latch onto one of the monster flatties that lurk there..no luck so far but I'm a persistant bugger.

I grew up in Melb. and used to visit Mallacoota on a regular basis when I was a kid (hence my nic.)...loved that place.

Would love to do some outside fishing again and one of these days will buy a boat..beats estuary & beach any day. Nice fat mortgage precludes that at present though. :1badmood:

Great site here with a wealth of info and I'd like to thank the mods and posters here for doing a fantastic job.

Trying SP's for the first time ever and warming to them more and more..

It's now part of my daily chores to read all the wonderful posts.

Pete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Raiders,

My name is Kit ("kbark") and I joined the site this summer. Great site. And thanks for the advice so far. Check it daily for reports and tips and browse the swap and sell for boats (planning to co-purchase one later in the year). Like Mallacoota Pete I've recently spent several years in the US chasing Northern Pike, King Salmon, Walleye, Bass, and Halibut when I wasn't playing rugby or studying.

I've been back in Sydney for a few years and have picked up the rods once again. Fish on the northern beaches, mostly in Narra lake and Pittwater. Been have a lot of fun with sp's since I started using them in this country only a couple of months ago.

I'm a university lecturer in theology and have fairly flexible hours so am able squeeze in a couple of sessions a week (am also free mid-week if anyone needs some company in their boat). Primarily target flatties (pb of 77 on bait and 53 on sp) and have been busted off by some very large specimens of late. hoping to post a picture of a lunker in the next few weeks...might need to up the leader strength! Having no luck with the kingies...been downrigging livies in pittwater in a mates 3.4m stacer with no results to date. Ditto with the Jewies off the beach...still waiting.

:beersmile: Kit

• Like 1

Hey Raiders,

My name is Mike and I've been addicted to fishing since I was five. I nearly threw the habit completely over the last few years but then I found these pretty SPs in the fishing shop one day and since then I've pretty much returned to my fishing-addict ways.

I work in IT and I spend way too much time around computers, so I'm forever grateful to everyone who runs and contributes to this site because it keeps me sane when I'm around the crazy things!

My favourite type of fishing is wading the flats flicking SPs for bream and flathead. I also try to join my dad occasionally on his (usually fruitless) expeditions chasing jewies because it gives me a chance to land my first hawkesbury catfish :1prop: When I finally get that out of my system I might actually start chasing jewies on SPs!

Apart from fishing I also like playing guitar, going to gigs and hanging out in the pub with mates.

Cheers to all and hope to get out on a social one day to meet all of you!

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I know it has been a while since someone made a reply on this post but as I am new I will reply.

My name is Alison. I am 24, have a little boy almost 4 and a wonderful fiancee.

Recently moved to Sydney from a place called funnily enough " Fishing Point " in Lake Macquarie.

My dad had a boat before I was even born ( poor Golden Girl, has not seen any action for atleast 7 years!! ) which when I was about 12 started going out the heads at Nelson Bay. Did this a fair bit till I was about 15.

Then 2 years ago, meet Jim who I thought at first enjoyed fishing but was not the fish crazed addict I found out he was. First date sat on a Jetty, 2nd date went fishing at North Entrance on the beach - I turned up in knee high stilletos!!!! :wacko: 3rd date fished Newcastle Harbour :)

I was a spectator / yakkie catcher / anchor thrower and puller / lug everything onto boat and back off again / food preparer / photographer / boat washer / rod watcher / gopher ( get the file, hook, sinker, etc) / bait checker until a few months ago.

After countelss all nighters I started to develop a strange feeling in my body when the rod would buckle over and the reel start screaming zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

So since Christmas I have been having a crack.

Best to date has been a 42cm bream, 3.5kg Jew and 80cm Kingie. And what fun I had on those kings!

So know I am shall I say slightly Obsessed :1clap:

Plus I love reading these fish sites which is new to me also. Everyday sometimes two or three times. YAY.

It is relaxing and a great way for me to unwind after a hectic week plus I sleep like a baby on the boat even in the middle of winter. :tease:

So,Hello and hope to see some of you on the water!

HAPPY FISHING! :1boat:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seen this on another site and thought it might be a good way for new members(me) to get to know some people. Please join in if you want to.

My name is Brett, 36, with a wife and two small kids. I have only been into fishing since I got my first boat ( a small tinne) about two years ago. I only get to fish once or twice a month and i am so envious of all you guys that get o fish heaps by the look of the reports. In summer a bit more cause I fish fom my Yak for bass near home. I really love fishing with lures (soft and Hard) but my catch rate needs to improve. I'm sure it will in time. I am now not only addicted to fishing but fishing web sites as well. They are a good way to meet people,have a laugh and LEARN HEAPS. My bigest Bream on Lures/plastics is 24cm(pretty poor I know but its a start) Flathead is 51cm and Bass 42cm. Parramatta is my footy team we are on our way back last weekend made it one in a row for us.

Anyway that it from me. Hope some of you join in.

Cheers

Bretto :1beer:

• Like 1

Gday raiders!

time to bring this thread up to life. There's heaps of members but so few entries.

Here's a bit about myself.

My name is Kevin. I live in Glenwood with my family. Im 22 and I study IT and im about to graduate this year. I've been hooked on fishing since my dad took me fishing at the entrance when I was like 8 or 9.

My first fish was a sand whiting about 30cm! Ive taken to fishing on a more regular basis since then. My PB so far would have to be a gummy shark about 3kg and a silver trevally that went 1.3kg.

Ive just found fishraider this year and love reading the reports from the members!

I fish mainly from the shore, but if I can get a ride out, I love the opportunity. Ive only been out with Kikila on Botany Bay, so look forward to meeting and greeting the raiders on the socials.

My :wife: loves fishing too and i'll be bringing her out to the socials when I can.

favourite spot is on the rocks at the entrance to the cooks river going into botany bay.

tight lines :1fishing1:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To keep the post rolling.

I'm Mitch 24 years old, Married seperated with a 2 year old son Trae who absoloutly loves fishing and boats.

I grew up in Orange in NSW central west, i moved to Melbourne for 9 months after school and then have been living in Sydney and Narooma for the last 5 1/2 years until a few months back when I moved back out to orange Where I now work as a Cardiac technitian and am about to soon start my Synographers course as well.

Other than fishing and spending time with my Son I play rugby. I have had a few years off duee to work commitments and a serious injury and multiple surgery but have made a come back this year. A little bit slower paced playing out here compared to training at the institute of sport an playing in Sydney.

I have been fishing my hole life and for as long as i can remember have loved chasing bream on HB's till placcies came out. Since then I have spent a few years honing my skills on Bream on SP. I also chase Bass, Flattym Kingy and Jew on plastics. That is about all I do. I am a comp angler and am fortunate enough to have some great sponsors who have not minded me taking year off this year.

My Pb on placcies are as follow for my fave species. Black bream 49cm, silver bream 45cm, bass 58cm, flatty 113cm, kingy 122cm and jewy 24kg.

Usually fish sydney wateways lake mc or south coast. with the new boat coming soon will be in sydney or Central coast every weekend so if anyone want to come chase some bream your more than welcome on board

Mitch

• Like 1

G'day fishos

Names Brad and im one of the younguns on the site at 16 but that dosent stop me from goin fishin as often as i can. I am still at school (unfortunately) and i love playiong guitar.

I usually am land based as imnot in ownership of a boat but i try to hire on everynow and again. My fish pb's arent too hot and im STILL TO CATCH A JEWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to come along to the socials reall bad to see how its really done :1prop: but its hard for me as i only have basic gear and i dont own a car....

cheers,

Brad

• Like 1

g'day raiders

my name is mark aka 'live bait' i live in the sth sydney region spending alot of time on the georges, land based and out of my best mates boat (huntingforjews).. i love fishing so much it has nealy broke me and my girlfriend up a 1000 times.. lol, but really i do alot of fishing mostly river with my pb out of georges being 44cm bream and 69cm flatty still chasing that first jewy.. alot of years, time, and money trying but i reckon this is the year..

since finding this site i have taken in all the advice given by the top anglers that roam this site.. i fish so much i can't explain.. my friends think im nuts sometimes..

a little about myself.. im 24..have a lovely gf, greenkeeper at roselands bowling club.. been in the trade for 7 years and love it..support the mighty sharks.. this is your year boys.. and thats about it.. oh yer and do too much of this :beersmile: lol..

regards live bait!!

post-2163-1152844735_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

my name is Peter aka Big-Pete,I live South of Sydney, I am A Constuction Site Foreman in road construction, I have many qualifications, Butcher,Security Guard,Welder, Cutler to name a few (I dont know what I want to be when I grow up).

I am on the wrong side of 40, I have fished since I could walk and there are some embarasing photos of me fishing puddles after a rain storm.

I love all styles of fishing from fly to game but I have gone to mid ground these days chasing fish with soft plastics. I fish the Port Hacking and Georges River and spent considerable time fishing Burill Lake.

I spent nearly a year doing up my boat so it is suitable for chasing bream,its a 4.1mtr quintrex, but just when I was getting close to using it,I was put out of action due to a torn rotator cuff muscle and surgery to fix this problem I have been out of action for some time and will remain out until October this year then hopefully I will get the all clear to resume a normal life.

Hint do not tear a rotator cuff muscle its not worth the grief

I love to tinker making my own flies, lures, flytying vices and anything else that takes my fancy.

I would like to thank Ken, Donna and Stewart for all the work that they put into this site. :thumbup:

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

Jesus Pete ,hope you get on the mend very quickly and would love to hook up with you for your first fish when you recover :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Well thought i would also add to this thread,

My name is Oz and I live in the Southwest of Sydney,

Never really liked fishing much till i got married a few years ago and then i realised i needed a hobby quicksmart before i commited suicide or worse murdered my wife...lol....

Had been fishing a few times before marriage but nothing seriously.

Now 3 years on a absolutely love fishing and it has become a major part of my life.

Love chasing pelagics mainly with the odd jew capture here and there, Fish Sydney Harbour and outside of Sydney harbour with the occasional trip to Pittwater.

Am a big fan of Downrigging and love nailing kings in Summer.

Have been fortunate to get to know some of Sydneys most well known fisherman who have taught me alot about fishing and i still have alot to learn.

Look forward to hopefully getting to know a few members here so i can continue learning and also teach some fisho's a thing or two.

Am hoping to take out ma few of the Kingfish virgin raiders this summer to get them there first king so if anyone is keen let me know.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hey Guys

Well my name in Shaun , im from Campbelltown , 22years old.

Girlfriend of 5years

Have a 16ft nautiglass runabout , not much but definatly gets the job done!

Occupation Carpenter work 5days and then weekends try to get out for a fish as much as possible , although is limited , doesnt help not having to many others interested in fishing or the passion i do , guess thats one of the reasons i join fishraider.

Do live a pretty full on life , but hopefully plan to get out and meet some of you guys for a fish or three :1prop:

Hey Guys

Well my name in Shaun , im from Campbelltown , 22years old.

Girlfriend of 5years

Have a 16ft nautiglass runabout , not much but definatly gets the job done!

Occupation Carpenter work 5days and then weekends try to get out for a fish as much as possible , although is limited , doesnt help not having to many others interested in fishing or the passion i do , guess thats one of the reasons i join fishraider.

Do live a pretty full on life , but hopefully plan to get out and meet some of you guys for a fish or three :1prop:

Seems to be a lot of Fishraiders from the Western Suburbs ,we might have to have a get together some time in the near future :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

that sounds like a plan stewy :thumbup:

It has been a while since we had a Social get together without fishing rods and I think with so many members around the area we live in it would be nice to catch up and have a few laughs and get to know one and other :biggrin2:

The online community has now spilled over into reality on this site and thats all because members are willing to go the extra yards to make it happen ie the SOCIALS .

We will get some ideas soon on what the members would like to do and make a poll and see what we can all come up with :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

:biggrin2: hey big pete

how is the daiwa millionair going??

and thanks for the lures

they worked a treat

'Dont Shoot Da Chinamen' ,

the reel is still sitting in the box I am trying to work out what line to put on it

I am glad the lures work for you

Big-Pete

Jesus Pete ,hope you get on the mend very quickly and would love to hook up with you for your first fish when you recover :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Stewy, that sounds like a plan I still owe you a fly trip we will just have to wait until October for the streams to reopen :thumbup:

Stewy, that sounds like a plan I still owe you a fly trip we will just have to wait until October for the streams to reopen :thumbup:

Pete looking forward to that for sure and will pay you back in kindness with a trip out in the poly :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Gday Folks,

My name is Ian , im almost 22 years old and like all of you before me I LOVE FISHING.

I was introduced to this wonderful site by my good mate Anth, (Loomy Lover) and have not looked back since. I cannot brag too much on my fishing exploits as i am somewhat quite ordinary but with some more help from you friendly people im sure i can improve.

I attended the Bay Social which was a real highlight and met some of the crew ( i was very reserved that day due to the fact that i wasnt supposed to be there and was feeling rather guilty, but that :wife: is long gone so im open to more fishing and animation these days :1prop: ) Big thanks again to Buster1 and CFD for all their help. Caught up with Kikila for an unfortunate non event ( Whats been happening mate? Hope your keeping well ).

I live with my family out in Blacktown , i work part time in Hospitality as a Senior Waiter and Customer Service Operator and am currently half way through a Teaching degree at University.

My interests include Sport which i am an absolute fanatic, i was a decent soccer player as a youth but injury cut me down , i still play at a reasonable level to this day, i also play cricket in the summer.

I also like music and play when i get the chance, when saying play i sing. dont have a band at the moment though.

I mostly fish off the stones and the sand but am always keen to expand my horizons, if u ever need company on a trip im always willing, drop me a line sometime!

Cheers Ian

Hi all my name is John a Panel Beater by trade in Hornsby area ,,no wonder i love fishing

as i hate cars , I am married 47 with a 16 year old who are better at fishing than i am these days

Grew up fishing Wallis Lakes Forster since 5 with the grandparents avid blackfisherman most fish caught in 2 weeks between 2 of us was just over 200 quite a few years ago now, lucky to get just a few now.

Wife 8 bream not so long ago on Hawksbury [has been posted befor ] fishing over her sholder eating a sandwhich 3 of over a kilo in under 1hr ,still wont let me forget :1badmood:

Cheers all and hope to get to the socials when warmer

• 1 month later...

Hi Raiders

My Name is Mick and I am a brickie,

I love fishing but don't get to do enought of it due to work and not owning a boat. I caught my first fish on a sp this week and my life couldn't be any better. I live in Greystanes, I am 22 and also enjoy racing motocross. My racing number is 309. hence the name (mick309) I love this site and have learned so much from all of you. I look foreward to fishing alongside some of you in the future.

Hi Raiders,

My name is Kit. I'm 32, married with a 10 month old boy. I've been fishing all my life and can't get enough of it. I usually make 2 or 3 sessions a week with most of my time spent wading the shoreline of Narrabeen lake. Would like to think there is "one more season" of rugby still in me, and I also bodyboard when the waves are good.

When i'm not hanging with wife and boy or flicking minnows around the lake, I'm teaching theology at tertiary institution here in Sydney and working with young people at my church.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow raiders at the upcoming jew social.

Cheers,

Kit

Hi, my name is Diane (49 years young) and I must be the third of two femal fishos!! I live at Dora Creek which runs into Lake Macquarie.

I am mother of two beautiful and talented daughters, one is almost a doctor (studying in Melbourne) and the other is training to be a teacher.

Since retiring four years ago we have completed an around Australia trip in our caravan and 4wd - it was fantastic!

My hobby is fishing mainly with a little gardening on the side. We spend a lot of time enjoying the beautiful water ways of this area. Our boat is a 5.1 Quintrex Bowrider with a 90hp E-Tec motor. I have fished since I was very young when my Dad and Grandfather used to take me with them to throw a line in on our family holidays. I lived for ten years in the N.T. so have had some of the best fishing in Australia. Most of my Territory fishing was done out from Maningrida in Arnhem Land where the waters were virtually untouched. We fished both river and reef in the N.T. and hooked some great fish over the years there including many Barramundi. This time of my life will stay in my fondest memories for ever, it was a once in a life time experience. Have fished quite a bit in Tassie as this is where my husband comes from originally. We fish for trout in the north east on someones farm and have fished Port Arthur, Dover, St Helens, Bridport and Scamander.

My personal best bream in Dora Creek is 42cm (dont know the weight) caught on mullet flesh, a Sand Whiting 43cm and weighed one and a half pounds (prawn bait), Flathead 62cm on lure in Lake Macquarie. We catch plenty of Whiting and crabs in the lake and have had some of the best oysters ever eaten from off the rocks around the lake. All in all life is great here and having moved from Liverpool area in Sydney we appreciate the beautiful clean air and access to the water so close.

Hi my names Rayman (Ray)

I'm 19 years old, I was born in Sydney, but grew up in Vanuatu. Never really did much fishing there as we didn't have a boat :mad3: ... but everyone has to start somewhere! I started fishing around about Feburary of this year, out of a 3.1m Zodiac. I guess my PB so far out of this boat would be a 2.4kg Mangrove Jack or a 3.5kg Red Throat (mostly reef fish over there).

Have since been on a mates boat to go offshore to the FAD for dollies and trolling around for tuna/wahoo ... loving it! :yahoo:

Anyway Iam currently living in Roselands area of Sydney for the duration of my studies, but I took this year off studying International Tourism Management at Manly, so I will be flying back on the 25th of sept to spend christmas/new years with family, returning to syd in january.

Then I guess next year I will be spending most of my time landbased trying out plastics :thumbup:

Came across this site, when we got rained in on a fishing trip ... couldn't have spent the time indoors better :thumbup:

Edited by wirlez

Hi, I am Martin and I work in the construction industry for one of the majors in business development.

I have been fishing since I was young and spent better than 20 years with the sole passion focused on game fishing competitively, having caught a few and learnt heaps about marlin, sharks and tuna. At the same time it cost me a fortune to be involved in the sport. Getting married and then the children put a halt to it. Not fair to be away every second week somewhere fishing while there at home.

I now fish mainly the Hawkesbury and Pittwater, enjoy fishing with my 8 year old son We are learning about bream flathead and jewfish. Our goal is to catch a big jew. I have an Aussie Whaler Profish 5.5 with a 115 Johnstone. Unfortunately this we have not had the spare time to get out there and have not been out since March for a fish. However I hope to give the fishing scene a real work over through summer. My daughter is more into swimming at one of the many beaches in Pittwater. We live all of a few minutes to Bayview boat ramp so we have it easy in getting access to the water.

I do not have the passion I once had for just game fishing, but am still passionate about fishing generally. I really enjoy fishing for flathead and coming home with a feed of fish.

There’s simple pleasure in teaching your kids to fish and be together as a family having a great day out. Fishing lets friends and family get together, have a chat, a laugh and a bite to eat while enjoying the great outdoors.

Cheers

Martin

• Like 1