Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

25 minutes ago, ruckley said:

InA welcome back of sorts.

was an active member a while back, sold my boat, had kids, a business life in general. But my youngest is a keen fisherman, As are my older two and I’m keen to get back into it. We’re lucky enough to have a jetty at out Place we can fish off, and a boat will be coming shortly.

still my best fish was a solid tuna on a charter with sordwie a few years back. 

Is Tapatalk not supported anymore? How do people access these days ?

Welcome back @ruckley

Good to see the next gen coming through.

No tapa here mate.

15 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Welcome back (Luke?)

Stewy remembers that charter on Reef Magic and says hi

Look forward to reports ;)

mrsswordie Donna

Yep that’s me, was a great day 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:13 PM, Brandon H said:

Good day all,

I just found this site today while researching places to catch a Murray Cod. It is a dream of mine. My brother in law lives in Wheeler Heights and we plan to visit from Upstate,  NY in the US. I loved our first visit in 2008 and even though I fished off the rocks and in Narabeen Lake, I didn't catch much but hope to when we visit again. My name is Brandon and I live in Upstate NY. I teach science, tie flies, I wrote a children's book about Atlantic salmon, I have a wonderful wife, and she supports my fishing addiction. I have been fishing since I could walk. I mainly fly fish for trout these days but love to catch any fish anywhere that I go. (usually on a fly but when I fished near Wheeler Heights the fish were too smart for my flies :)

20180212_163638.jpg

welcome to fishraider, loom forward to reading some US reports

Hi everyone!

Joel here, pretty much completely experience-less in the realm of fishing. I'm an international student from Singapore thats currently doing a medical degree here in Sydney.

Having grown up in a metropolitan city back home in Singapore, I never really got the chance to try out fishing! After being here for awhile, I've never gotten sick of the coastal environments surrounding NSW and constantly come across people who are fishing when I'm out for a drive/walk/road trip. I'm also really interested in cooking and farm-to-table stuff and thought fishing might be a good activity to pick up! All the more when I get to run away from studying for awhile.

I've never actually gone fishing before but have done a little bit of crabbing back in Perth where I used to visit my siblings. Would be nice if someone here could actually guide or give me a TLDR on the basic do's and don'ts of the sport! I'm based in the eastern subs and would be immensely grateful for some advice on the best places for beginners to pick up land fishing! 

Looking forward to hearing from everyone:)

Hi and welcome. Lots of clinicians in our community. 
Start by doing some research on the many topics inside the forum.

The search engine is the best way to look for info first. The members will help along the way with queries.

Good luck and look forward to your first posts. 

7 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hi and welcome. Lots of clinicians in our community. 
Start by doing some research on the many topics inside the forum.

The search engine is the best way to look for info first. The members will help along the way with queries.

Good luck and look forward to your first posts. 

Thanks mrsswordfisherman! Definitely having fun reading up on everyones experiences through the forum and getting some insight!

2 minutes ago, JAKSShark said:

Welcome joel, im sure someone around sydney area would be able to give you a few lessons, mentor, guide you etc.

What gear do you have?

Hi JAKSShark!

I basically haven't gotten round to getting anything yet! Still doing up some homework on where I should be headed towards! Honestly considering a basic kmart set-up just as a base point to get into the sport before going any further! Do you think that's a good starting point for someone who has zero experience whatsoever?

Yeh that should be fine, i would look at a 2-5kg rod with a 3000 reel...put some 8pound j braid on it and that would be a good all round combo...but i would go to your local a shop shop and see what deals they have happening, they have plenty of rods for cheap that are good quality, i would also buy one of the tackle boxes with gear included in it (a 500peice tackle box) these are not overly expensive islf you buy that then you have to buy some 8 pound flurocarbon leader as well...then i would learn double uni and uni knot...then the simplest rig to use is= (cut 70cm of leader from your flurocarbon leader/ a double uni knot attaching braid to leader/ thread a small to medium ball sinker onto this leader so that it freely slides up and down/ get a small hook and using the uni knot tie this onto your leader do the sinker slide up and down to the hook) do you understand this? This is how i started and it is fairly easy.... buy a bag of prawns from the servo for bait and pull the head off and peel off the skin from the outside so its nice and soft and cut the prawn into peices just bigger than you hook (so you get more out of the prawns) insert the hook and your good to go make sure the barb on the hook is hidden in the bait, go to any wharf in sydney harbour and you should catch some fish best are balmoral, clifton, rose bay, anywhere around harbour bridge...but pretty much any wharf you should catch something

Hope this helps

Edited by JAKSShark
  • Like 1

Hey Raiders,

I'm 26 years of age and used to be on the forum 4-5 years ago but forgotten my login. lol

I currently live on the Central Coast and fish either out of Broken Bay or Terrigal on a dark blue 21ft SeaSwirl Striper centre console 'The Panty Dropper', but travel from Port Stephens to Kiama depending where the good currents/water is. I have fished with a few young lads that frequent this forum, and put some of them onto their 'Firsts' - When are we fishing again? 😉😂

632561970_IMG_20180128_200330_319Straightened.thumb.jpg.3e3289a4065f0949de28f283838ba162.jpg

I have fished for as long as I can remember, originally introduced to fishing by my uncles fishing areas like Cronulla, Wollongong etc. beach & rock fishing. I was really into my yak fishing 8-10 years ago until I purchased a small Formosa centre console. Love all types of fishing (Currently have the Hairtail bug) but my heart is game fishing out wide, catching the bug 5 years ago hooking 4 Marlin and a good Dollie the first day (Yes, I now know what a doughnut is!) 😆

For a crust I am a sales assistant selling Modular Homes, so the fishing window is usually only weekends or night times unless I see a good day coming up. I look forward to adding reports (Fingers Crossed!) and learning a lot more from this site. 

Look forward to seeing you on land, or the water. Tight lines. Yeeeewww 🤙🍻

Cheers, Brendo

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JAKSShark said:

Yeh that should be fine, i would look at a 2-5kg rod with a 3000 reel...put some 8pound j braid on it and that would be a good all round combo...but i would go to your local a shop shop and see what deals they have happening, they have plenty of rods for cheap that are good quality, i would also buy one of the tackle boxes with gear included in it (a 500peice tackle box) these are not overly expensive islf you buy that then you have to buy some 8 pound flurocarbon leader as well...then i would learn double uni and uni knot...then the simplest rig to use is= (cut 70cm of leader from your flurocarbon leader/ a double uni knot attaching braid to leader/ thread a small to medium ball sinker onto this leader so that it freely slides up and down/ get a small hook and using the uni knot tie this onto your leader do the sinker slide up and down to the hook) do you understand this? This is how i started and it is fairly easy.... buy a bag of prawns from the servo for bait and pull the head off and peel off the skin from the outside so its nice and soft and cut the prawn into peices just bigger than you hook (so you get more out of the prawns) insert the hook and your good to go make sure the barb on the hook is hidden in the bait, go to any wharf in sydney harbour and you should catch some fish best are balmoral, clifton, rose bay, anywhere around harbour bridge...but pretty much any wharf you should catch something

Hope this helps

Not gonna lie I only have a rough idea of whatever you said thanks to scrolling through google the past couple of days :') Thank you so so much for taking time out to offer your advice, youre a legend! Can't wait to get out and try my hand at it all too soon! Maybe one of these days you'll see some of my posts up on this site!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, Brendan Monks said:

Hey Raiders,

I'm 26 years of age and used to be on the forum 4-5 years ago but forgotten my login. lol

I currently live on the Central Coast and fish either out of Broken Bay or Terrigal on a dark blue 21ft SeaSwirl Striper centre console 'The Panty Dropper', but travel from Port Stephens to Kiama depending where the good currents/water is. I have fished with a few young lads that frequent this forum, and put some of them onto their 'Firsts' - When are we fishing again? 😉😂

I have fished for as long as I can remember, originally introduced to fishing by my uncles fishing areas like Cronulla, Wollongong etc. beach & rock fishing. I was really into my yak fishing 8-10 years ago until I purchased a small Formosa centre console. Love all types of fishing (Currently have the Hairtail bug) but my heart is game fishing out wide, catching the bug 5 years ago hooking 4 Marlin and a good Dollie the first day (Yes, I now know what a doughnut is!) 😆

For a crust I am a sales assistant selling Modular Homes, so the fishing window is usually only weekends or night times unless I see a good day coming up. I look forward to adding reports (Fingers Crossed!) and learning a lot more from this site. 

Look forward to seeing you on land, or the water. Tight lines. Yeeeewww 🤙🍻

Cheers, Brendo

Welcome to the forum Brendo. Look forward to you adding a few reports 👍

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gday raiders

Luke here, 35 years old, just moved up to Mackay.  After seeing some pics from guys at work have to say I am keen to amongst it.  I done  a bit of freshwater fishing as a kid and since then have caught the occasional bream and flatty and speared some occyies, that's about the extent of my fish raiding but i will be getting out as much as i can  from now on. I've been learning a few knots and reading up about using lures. I am pretty keen on catching a feed of some of the big predator fish around these waters.

Hope you've all been getting a few, I will post pics of anything i'm lucky enough to catch. Cheers 

11 minutes ago, Pesciesky said:

Gday raiders

Luke here, 35 years old, just moved up to Mackay.  After seeing some pics from guys at work have to say I am keen to amongst it.  I done  a bit of freshwater fishing as a kid and since then have caught the occasional bream and flatty and speared some occyies, that's about the extent of my fish raiding but i will be getting out as much as i can  from now on. I've been learning a few knots and reading up about using lures. I am pretty keen on catching a feed of some of the big predator fish around these waters.

Hope you've all been getting a few, I will post pics of anything i'm lucky enough to catch. Cheers 

Welcome aboard luke.

Lots of good reading material on here.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone from Sydney (Ryde area)! thanks for the add!... I'm pretty new to boating/fishing and a bit of googling have seen a few of my questions answered by members here so I'm very keen to learn from other experienced boaters.If anyone's from around the Ryde area and is keen and able to help out a noob please let me know :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonertic said:

Hi everyone from Sydney (Ryde area)! thanks for the add!... I'm pretty new to boating/fishing and a bit of googling have seen a few of my questions answered by members here so I'm very keen to learn from other experienced boaters.If anyone's from around the Ryde area and is keen and able to help out a noob please let me know :)

Welcome aboard, lots of good info in here which can be accessed via the search tab :biggrinthumb:

• Like 1

G’day Fishraiders🎣
Ian here ,

New member from western Sydney and looking forward to participating on the forum .

These days I predominantly fish off the beach and in the estuary - either in my boat or stalking the flats and mangroves using both bait and lures mainly for Flathead .

Started out 40yrs ago as a jetty rat in Sydney harbour then spent a few years chasing Luderick in Narrabeen lagoon , from there i was either stalking trout in the rivers ( when they had water in them )  or yellow belly In the dams out around Lithgow ,Bathurst or Mudgee .Then  i spent some time on bass in the dams in the hunter valley and when I wasn’t doing that i was out fishing for flathead between Port Stephens and Batemans bay .

Hey lan welcome aboard, I assume you have an xd falcon with a 351. So many awesome people on this site,all willing to help out with advice. Hope to see a report from you soon bud.

Cheers Scotty 

Edited by scottyboy
  • Like 1

Thanks Rebel and mrs swordfisherman!

I know many think that living in western Sydney is a disadvantage but when i think of i have fishing options all around me ! Go west and hit the nepean for bass , north west and the upper Hawkesbury for bass , bream ,flatties and jew  , south for the georges river , to the east is the parra river and the harbour  . A bit further away to the south east is botany bay and to the north east the northern beaches and lower Hawkesbury . All within about an hours drive ! An hour and a half and I’m over the mountains fishing for trout and bass in lake lyall ! 

• Like 1