Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Hi Raiders,

Peter is my name I am 47 years old, live in doonside with my girlfriend of 7 years, two great kids and 1 granddaughter 1year old.

grew up at North richmond and flogged the local bass and mullet population as a kid growing up it sadens me to see the state of the river there now, all the willow trees that i flicked lures around as a kid are now chocked up with weed, the river is full of it and it is slowly turning into a stagnent lagoon full of ducks and water hens. A sign of the times I guess , anyway i have loved fishing all my life and have mainly fished the Mighty Hawkesbury and still do every chance I get. I love fishing for jew but will turn my hand to just about anything if I get the inclination, I have caught small tuna kingies jew bream you name it! for quite a few years I was boatless so I fished the stones around longreef and other places and became quite accomplished at catching blackfish and drummer and groper. I spent many a night catching bream and drummer from the rock shelf at long reef and have some memorable catches from there.

These days i own a 4metre tinnie and mainly fish the river but occassionally i will fish the harbour for kingies and sometimes leatherjackets.

I dont consider myself to be as accomplished on any one type of fishing as some other people but i can usually hold my own in any company due to the fact that I just love to wet a line and dont really care what we are fishing for as long as we are fishing.

my pb fish is a 25lb jew - not huge but I was well into my thirtys before i caught one that even reached 4lb! but perseverence pays of these days I catch quite a lot of school jew between 6 and ten pound and quite a few each year even bigger than that. last may 2008 in2 weeks I caught a 25lber a 22lb, 14lb 10lb 2x9lb 4x6lb not bad but that has come about from years of learning from others and just putting the time in.The best advice I can give anyone is find someone who is succesful and listen and learn everything you can from them, if you can acually get them to take you and show you what they do it can save you years of learning. If your ever on the Hawkesbury and spot my boat say G'day.

tide'n'knots.

• 2 weeks later...

Gday

My names Ray im 20 from The Entrance, probably one of the most over fished places in NSW haha :05:

Haven't really been into much Ocean/salt water fishing as yet, but I've done a small bit in the Lachlan River out at Condobolin.

Can't wait til the weather gets a bit finer, and I get myself another rod and get into it.

hi mate :1welcomeani: to Fishraider hope your stay is an enjoyable and informative as i have found it on here. Lots of helpful ppl on here so dont be shy on asking no matter how stupid you think the question is no one will laugh at you. Its like one big happy family

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

Hey everyone. My name is Gozza, 29 and I live in Minto, south-west of Sydney.

Ive been lurking this forum for a few weeks now, and decided to join. Ive noticed how friendly you all are which convinced me to sign up.

I got into fishing a few years ago, but still consider myself a beginner. I will try my best to share my own experiences with everyone, as Im sure you will do the same. Because trust me, I need all the help I can get. LOL.

Looking forward to talking with you all!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My Name is Matt, I am 37 years old, and I am a Nurse Practitioner

Have been living in Canada ( in the Arctic) since December 1999.

I recently got married to a Canadian girl, who is still over there at home whilst I came back to Sydney(Wahroonga) for the next 12 months to do a University course as it is cheaper here. She will be here in 8-9 weeks for 2 months so my fishing days are numbered- can`t wait!.

I have fished all my life, around the Harbour mostly, then got into Blackfishing.

In Canada I mostly ice fish or flyfish. I guess I love Flyfishing the best.

I have a nice boat back home ( no good to me here!) Habercraft with Merc 110.

I can be seen fishing 5 days a week at the moment, mostly at Narrabeen Lake for Blackies, or at Kirribilli.

On my `hit list` is- GT on fly, Drummer on Fly, and of course Bones and Permit.

I dream of big sand flats with crystal clear water and tailing GT`s.

I am always up for rockfishing, so PM me if anyone needs a friend.

Cheers,

Nanook

post-8890-1226664850_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1226664863_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys

Been a raider for 2 years now and haven't replied to this.

I am 12, 13 in Feb. I got to school at Barker College in Hornsby. I have done many things in sport but the best is Australian Rugby Champions for NSW and winning 2 representative tournaments playing for Gordon

.I fish mainly the North Coast rivers and Narra lake targeting mostly bream, flatties and whiting all on Sp's and poppers. I also Target Jewies and tailor off breakwalls and from the mouth of Narra lakes when its flooding.

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all

My name is Lock im 23 and i live in the hornsby area and work as a mechanic.

i mainly fish land based in the hawkesbury for whatever really as i am fairly new to fishing and as long as i catch something im having fun.

anyway hope to share some of my fishing adventures with you all soon

G'Day All,

My Name is Courtney but most people just call me Norto (and no I'm not a girl), been kicken about the forum for a few weeks now love fishing but not very good at it.I live out at a place called O'Connell in Central west NSW.Got a boat shes an old boat but a gooden all the same it's a Quintrex breezeabout I think 1982 model am I am still learning how to use it properly,after reading the post where the guy was going out through the bar at Southwest Rocks i don't know whether i will ever get it out to sea (scared the shit out of me). Anyway will try to post some reports if I can managed to actually catch a fish.

Regards,

Norto.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 42 and live in Little Bay (in Sydney).

I grew up in the Snowys so I'm a keen Fly (trout) fisherman but also a mad keen fisherman of any kind.

I've fished alot of places in Oz in my time and also overseas (NZ,Canada , Alaska & PNG) but that was a long time ago.

(That may sound impressive but the truth is I'm one of the 90% of fisherman who catch 10% of the fish)

6 years ago I welcomed the first of my three kids and since then fishing has been shelved.

Until now.

I guess reading this forum has got me keen again.

I've gained alot of knowledge from this forum too.

I've been dreaming of catching a jew ever since my Grandpa used to show me his photo of a jew he caught at every opportunity ( caught from the Georges River in the 1940's I think and it was as big as him).

I've been trying to catch one for about 20 years on and off (probably more off than on).

The investment of time and sleep and lack of confidence does me in every time.

But with all things in life the harder you work for something the more satisfying the rewards are.

Which is especially true with fishing.

Regards

Shaune

• 2 weeks later...

gday all

my names steve im 32 and live on the central coast i was born and bred here so ive been fishing tuggerah lakes ever since i can remember for blackies and lizards , i mainly go fishing with my old man and we can be mainly seen frolicking the north entrance channel after blackies or the entrance channel for lizards although most times our keeper bags are empty haha........also love flicking about soft plastics and hitting the rocks after drummer when i get the chance , i love living on the central coast but it saddens me how tuggerah lakes has gone down hill over the years with the entrance channel being shut on several ocassions and the forshore around long jetty and berkeley vale turning into a stinky mud pit .................anyway im unemployed and single at the moment (ladies if your interested you can pm me haha) so i have plenty of time to fish

enough from me

cheers steve

hey all, my name is Luke but call me nashy. I'm 22 years old and live in the sutherland shire and for the last few years been doing a PE teaching degree at uni but have take time off this semester to set up a new business with my dad. As a kid i use to fish the Hawkesbury at my grandparents holiday house until my parents got a place at shoalhaven heads where i only really ever hit seven mile beach for whiting and Jewies (never had any luck) and occassionaly up the river. 3 weeks ago i went up the central coast and went out with my uncle and cousin at the entrance using SP's for the very first time, at first i wasnt catching anything and getting pretty annoyed that my uncle and cousin had, but slowly got the hang of it and caught 3 keeper flatties to my cousins 2 and uncles 1. The very next day i went and bought myself a set up for SP's and since i have had so much time off (recently had a knee reconstruction) i have been sussing out places in the hacking and georges, havent caught much but everytime i go out i love it.

If anyone wants a fishing mate or someone to keep them company that fishes the hacking or georges just send a PM.

Edited by Nashy

hey all, my name is Luke but call me nashy. I'm 22 years old and live in the sutherland shire and for the last few years been doing a PE teaching degree at uni but have take time off this semester to set up a new business with my dad. As a kid i use to fish the Hawkesbury at my grandparents holiday house until my parents got a place at shoalhaven heads where i only really ever hit seven mile beach for whiting and Jewies (never had any luck) and occassionaly up the river. 3 weeks ago i went up the central coast and went out with my uncle and cousin at the entrance using SP's for the very first time, at first i wasnt catching anything and getting pretty annoyed that my uncle and cousin had, but slowly got the hang of it and caught 3 keeper flatties to my cousins 2 and uncles 1. The very next day i went and bought myself a set up for SP's and since i have had so much time off (recently had a knee reconstruction) i have been sussing out places in the hacking and georges, havent caught much but everytime i go out i love it.

If anyone wants a fishing mate or someone to keep them company that fishes the hacking or georges just send a PM.

Welcome to the Site, Luke :biggrin2:

We may be able to help you out on your plastic journey,will keep in touch.

Cheers Stewy

G'day raiders...

My name is Kiro, im 25 and live in glenwood (towards blacktown/hills district) in sydney.

I been fishing most of my life, however i am the only fisho in the family.. so until i got my license, life sucked!

Im married to a beautiful american gal for just over a year now... however this site is causing problems in my marriage lol

Im a social worker, working with behavioural youth.. i have lived in sth africa and throughout asia as a missionary for some time, then moved to NZ working in a behavioural boarding school. Fished NZ alot during my stay there, and the fishing is just phenomenal! Nothing like landing a 17kg kingfish in the bay of islands!

I love my fishing (like the majority of people reading this)... i've recently got into SP's and lures and absolutely love it!! i fish whenever i have the chance...

I recently sold my boat, so now im restricted to landbased... if anyone ever wants some company fishing, boat or land, just flick me a pm!

cheers raiders

kiro

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Alex, I'm 35 and live in the Hornsby area and work in Brookvale. I am married with a 2 year old son and another one on the way in 5 weeks time.

For most of my life I have been a mad fisho stemming from day trips on the Hawkesbury with the oldman many many moons ago. In my 20's I got more adventurous with my fishing and found myself rock hopping a few platforms on the Northern Beaches chasing salmon, kingfish and tunas. However for some unknown reason I stopped my hobby and disappeared from the scene for 8 years. It's only in the last year I have rekindled my obsession for fishing.

Hence coming onto your very friendly and informative website. I've been reading your posts and fishing reports for some time now and it only increases the urges for getting out and wetting a line all the time.

Hopefully sometime soon I too will report great catches...I can only dream. I am heading out to Broken Bay on a mates boat on saturday afternoon so lets hope there's a report on Monday.

So far Jewfish is my nemesis, and currently I remain a Jewie virgin. Over the summer I tried several times at locations like Juno, F&S and Patonga with no luck. After reading many tips from the guru Jewie hunters on the website I thought I was in with a great chance on several occasions, only coming soooo close by hooking up what looked like to be a 6-8kg Jew and losing her around the berley bomb rope. At least I got to see her.

Plan one day is to get myself a boat and explore with the kids. I got my boating licence last weekend.

This is an awesome website and well done to the admin and mod crew for all there hard work in providing a friendly and informative website for people with a common interest.

Great stuff

Alex

Hi Everyone,

My name is Alex, I'm 35 and live in the Hornsby area and work in Brookvale. I am married with a 2 year old son and another one on the way in 5 weeks time.

For most of my life I have been a mad fisho stemming from day trips on the Hawkesbury with the oldman many many moons ago. In my 20's I got more adventurous with my fishing and found myself rock hopping a few platforms on the Northern Beaches chasing salmon, kingfish and tunas. However for some unknown reason I stopped my hobby and disappeared from the scene for 8 years. It's only in the last year I have rekindled my obsession for fishing.

Hence coming onto your very friendly and informative website. I've been reading your posts and fishing reports for some time now and it only increases the urges for getting out and wetting a line all the time.

Hopefully sometime soon I too will report great catches...I can only dream. I am heading out to Broken Bay on a mates boat on saturday afternoon so lets hope there's a report on Monday.

So far Jewfish is my nemesis, and currently I remain a Jewie virgin. Over the summer I tried several times at locations like Juno, F&S and Patonga with no luck. After reading many tips from the guru Jewie hunters on the website I thought I was in with a great chance on several occasions, only coming soooo close by hooking up what looked like to be a 6-8kg Jew and losing her around the berley bomb rope. At least I got to see her.

Plan one day is to get myself a boat and explore with the kids. I got my boating licence last weekend.

This is an awesome website and well done to the admin and mod crew for all there hard work in providing a friendly and informative website for people with a common interest.

Great stuff

Alex

:1welcomeani: Alex and thanks for the kind words.

This Site is all about people just like you who are fair and willing to learn and you will indeed enhance your fishing skills right here @Fishraider.

I eagerly await your next post with a few fish hopefully in the bag,good luck on the weekend.

Tight Lines

Swordfisherman

Hello all just thought i would introduce myself to everyone on the forum my names mark an im from south west sydney and im always looking for someone to go for a fish with so if your from around the campbelltown area and want someone whos keen on fishing to come with ya give me a message anytime

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My name's Tony, 46, married with 3 kids, living at Parramatta. I guess I've been fishing since I was a tike, but never had much success at it, until I turned to the dark side - chasing "nxggxrs", principally at Little Bay and Maroubra, but also off the old Pilots' wharf in Botany Bay. I can remember getting up on cold winter's days, catching the bus out to Little Bay before sunrise, then putting in a couple of hours of hard fishing, before returning home in time to get to school. That's how mad keen I was/am still for them. Along the way I've tried flyfishing - both fresh and saltwater, which I also enjoyed, with long spells away from the sport altogether. Recently I renewed my enthusiasm for tackling "darkies", and bought some new gear (Viva 10fter, Siweida centrepin) to mark the occasion, which I hope to christen in a couple of weeks time down at Jervis Bay. Hoping to hear from other Blackfish nutters out there.

Cheers!

Edited by Homeside

:1welcomeani: to the site Tony. :thumbup:

There are some very dedicated blackie fishos on the site & some great posts on the dark art.

Try the "search" button on the top of the page & I'm sure you'll pick up some great tips & add some of your own.

Cheers,

Grant.

:1welcomeani: to the site Tony. :thumbup:

There are some very dedicated blackie fishos on the site & some great posts on the dark art.

Try the "search" button on the top of the page & I'm sure you'll pick up some great tips & add some of your own.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've already had a bit of a sticky beak before joining up, and must say that I enjoyed reading some of the posts relating to Blackfish immensely.

As far as my technique goes, which I picked up from the old masters who used to fish the infamous "gutter" at Little Bay, is to fish as light as possible where nxggxrs are concerned (8-10 ft rod, 8lb main and 4lb trace - even off the rocks) using the tiniest of bobby corks and suicide pattern hooks, instead of stemmed floats and snecks (presents the cabbage leaf, or rosette, more naturally). The number of strikes, even on the saddest of days, would increase tremendously, and although you'd get busted off more often as a result, this was more than compensated for by all the fish stuffing your gill threader, or keeper net. :biggrin2:

Edited by Homeside

Hello Fishraiders,

Scorpion here AKA Deano. Thanks for the welcome to the site, I look forward to spending some quality time reading the updates. The Scorpion came about as thats what I do most of my fishing from nowdays. I'm an ex Queenslander living in Sydney however I still bleed maroon blood at SOO time. I've been fishing about as long as I can remember mainly from the beaches where I developed a love for catching Taylor mainly Straddie and Fraser Islands. I tried a few of the northern beaches when I arrived in Syd without much success.

Meet the now Mrs Scorpion who hails from Port Stephens. The father in law knew all the good spots loves his fishing and never had the chance to do to much so he and I have spent the last few years exploring the port Stephens area and can pretty much guarantee a feed ( Flathead, Bream or Whitting) anytime we wet a line.

It's time to get a bit more serious so I've geared up for outside and had limited success on the reefs arond Broughton. The goals over the next year or so is to pick all of your brains if you don't mind, catch some reasonable Snapper and would love to catch a Kingie or two.

Mrs Scorpion is due with the first in a couple of weeks which will slow the fishing down a bit but she's pretty good and knows how much I enjoy getting out there.

I firmly believe in 'Happy wife Happy life' and never take more than I'm going to eat

Regards

Scorpion

I think its about time I put some info about my self ..(after like 100+ posts!!) ...

My name is Ritchie and im 30 years old..I was born in Sri Lanka and migrated here many many many moons ago (or..in other words, i was a quite young lad when my parents decided to migrate! haha) .. My dad was the man behind my fishing addiction..even though me and my dad havent fished much in Oz, we used to lurk in the tropic marshes in Sri Lanka hunting for mangrove jacks, occassional barra and few other spiecies,ever since i was like 5!

Now that I am a father my self for a mighty lil boy (almost 1month old!! YAY!), i just cant wait to teach him what ive learnt from my dad!

I live in Western Sydney (Glenwood/Parklea area) with my beautiful wife and son and working for THE bank as an IT Business Analyst..Ive used to fish almost every weekend (Landbased) but since Seth's arrival that habit has been shelved! but its all good, i'd still find time to wet a line and bring a feed home!

I fish land based and dying to buy a boat!! I will, soon as my boy turns 3!!! cant waitttt!!!

Here on Fishraider ive learnt almost everything about fishing !! (things have changed since 1980's when I first started fishing! haha) and met some awsome "walking fishing databases"...and HATS OFF to the admins making/keeping this site on the top of ALL other fisho forums..!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers!!

• 1 month later...

After joining fishraider over a year ago, I have learnt more in that time (and only just starting) about fishing than I had in my previous 36 years so I thought it is about time I should start to contribute to the forum.

My name is Jason my nickname is Welster I am 37 and live in Holsworthy. I have a wife who usually lets me out and 2 girls 6 and 4. I am a builder mainly doing extensions and renovations to peoples homes.

We share a 5.2m Quintrex bowrider between myself and 2 mates which works out great. I have fished since I was young and my parents also had a boat when I was younger. It was not until I joined this site that I have started to try to improve my fishing results which were generally somewhere between poor and dismal. They have improved but have a long way to go.

We generally fish the Bay and Port Hacking occasionally. In the last year we have started taking the kids on trips to catch nippers and poddy mullet, the kids seem to enjoy these quick trips more than fishing. In the last week we have also started learning jow to catch squid.

Over the last year we have made improvements to our boat including stereo installation, dual battery set up and a custom removable live bait tank. A Berley bucket to be the next addition. It is great to be able to look up how fellow raiders have set up their boats as we try to keep our boat a dual purpose as possible.

This website is great and has provided me we heaps of entertainment over the last year and is well run which is a credit to the administrators.

• 1 month later...

Hey Raiders,

My name is Jack, I am 17 (18 in Sept) and i have been fishing since i could walk :D

My Grandma used to take me down to the end of her wharf and try to catch small bream, pinkys and whiting. After I grew up a little I would go on charter boats and day long fishing trips with my father and caught anything from Kingfish to Flattys to Gropers.

As soon as i turned 15 i began bass fishing and this is where my love truly lies.

I fish the McClay River in Kempsey, NSW and have competed in many tournaments throughout the years. Last season I managed to win the Under 18s Shimano McClay River Invitational with an over-all score of 2130! My biggest bass being 510mm, second being 470mm... I came 3rd over-all against the opens. Over 100 competitors and 3 pro teams entered.

After winning the competition I received my current rod (My other rod is a peice of !@#$) which i am using for my estuary fishing.

I have fished the Reefs of Western Australia, coming up with the biggest Red and spangled Emperor i have ever seen. I have fished Montague Island for Kingfish and the Hawksbury for everything under the sun! (haven't quite got there yet! one day pete :D)

Along with winning the Bass tournament, my fondest memory of fishing was when I was about 14 I went fishing with my dad and his mates on a hire boat. We were fishing in a massive lake down south (Near Narooma) and we were catching everything from bream to flattys all day. My dad decided that instead of fishing for bream and flattys he would set up a monster rig and fish for the 'King of the lake' as he put it. All day he caught nothing using a triple 8/0 gang hook with a big yellowtail on it. Night fall came and we were about to head home when dad couldn't pull his line in... it was stuck. He pulled on it a few times and BANG he was on. 45 minutes later and it was pitch black when the fish got to the surface... I thought it was a bronze whaler at first... it wasn't... it was a flathead.

We gaffed the monster flatty and it took 2 guys to pull her in. She was going nuts and after trying to put it in a towel we though it we to dangerous to try and pick it up again so we had to kill it... but with what! We ended up having to pull up the anchor and knock it on the head... 3 times!!!!!!!!!!! :1yikes:

Once we got home we measured it against me as we had nothing to weigh it with or measure it with... It was the length of me, and I was 4 foot 8 inches at the time… so it was roughly 140cm.

We cut the fish into steaks and it feed all of us! Even though I didn’t catch it, it was a day ill never forget.

I don’t own a boat but I will look into getting one after Uni so I can fish more regularly. I live in Newport on the Northern Beaches.

I can't get enough of fishing and every chance I get to go, Im there!

Cya round

Jack a.k.a Bass Master