First Marlin 14 march 2015

Simda

Hi All

Ive been hoping to catch my first Marlin for a very long time

Well last Saturday the dream came true. It was a very last minute decision as the conditions were a bit rough so we were not going then in a last minute decision we decided to have a go and hit the water about 10.30

Heading out we wondered if we had made a mistake as the water was very rough but by the time we reached tge peak it started getting better

We put out the spread just before 12 mile the trawled past botany wide FAD and then to Browns for nothing.

My freind felt the water out wide looked interesting but at this rate we would not get there so decisions had to be made, keep working the area we were in or pull in and motor out to Heatons

The decision made was made that if that is where he felt the fish were then that is where we should be fishing

Almost 1 hour later we were resetting the spread just before tide change

A hour and a half later it looked like we may if made the wrong call as now we were a long way from home and still did not turn a reel

At 4.40pm we were discussing the journey back and how long it would take before it got dark. We had about another 5 minutes of fishing before we pulled the lines in

My freind made a joke what happens if we hookup now then 3 minutes later the center rigger line broke then nothing

Could it be a fish?

Moments later the shotgun was hit again then line started coming of slowly, maybe a small tuna?

We started pulling in the lines and may freind told me to take the Rod, soon as i started winding the fish went nuts

This was no tuna, it was a Marlin and not a small one at that

when he realized he was hooked he went balistic. Skipping across the water to the port side then the pressure on the line lot less as the fish was swimming at us

I wound the reel as fast as i could and asked my freind to drive faster so we managed to keep pressure on the fish then he turned again and the line started running of the reel so fast that within seconds we were close to being spooled and the fish was now in the distance on the starboard side going crazy on the surface again

With next to no line left on the reel we had to chase it and after a few minutes we had got back some line but knew if he wanted to we were still in trouble

It then went deep. We circled the fish over 20 times but eventually 51 minutes after it first hooked up we got it boat side

What a fish. 2.2 meters short length estimated 120kg blue marlin

We swam the fish till it was kicking and then released it.

What a amazing feeling to see it swim away

This was a really special experience. I owe a huge Thankyou to frend Duncan whos boat I was on and gave me the opportunity to catch that fish. Also I think that till you catch one you do not understand that we not I caught that fish because if you do not have the backup you have next to no chance on a big fish making it a true team effort

Regret another freind that had been mentoring me was not with us

Sorry for the long story but you only ever get to catch your first Marlin once and wanted to share the experience

DAVID

post-7430-14270491316514_thumb.jpegpost-7430-14270492060654_thumb.pngpost-7430-14270492590027_thumb.jpegpost-7430-14270492728468_thumb.jpeg

:banana::banana::banana:well done david your first is something special and being a blue makes it very special cheers gary

Thanks Gary you know ive spent a lot of hours on and of the water for this fish. sent you a text message that day but guess you missed it. Would have been happy with any Marlin leave alone one this big and blue at that

Oh yeah! Great story and great result. As people say, you'll never forget your first. I don't think it's just about the fish but the journey and effort it takes to get there. Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

So True

Bro!!!! Epic story! Can't wait to get my first!!

Thanks it will happen but you never know when, i lost count of the number of hours and 1000s of kilometers before this fish but if you focus on it then its only a matter of time

Hope its next trip its was worth the wait