snatcher

"oil painting effect"

Being happily retired I always have some photographic project on the go. At the moment I am seeing if "oil painting effect" can add anything to some of my images. All images will not lend themselves kindly to this technique I am sure !!!!

Here are 2 images of Dunrobin Castle,the first the original and the second with "oil painting effect". What do you think ? Critique more than welcome :sun:

post-34124-0-70314600-1427233718_thumb.jpg

post-34124-0-47512600-1427233765_thumb.jpg

John

Edited by snatcher

Guest no one

The main focus point - being the castle looks the same in both pics, but the scenery in the 2nd pic looks like a computer game, personally I'd need to see more examples before making a call on which is better

I like the second one. Its more interesting and I feel I'm falling in to

it or it is moving.

I think that the focus moves from the castle to the plant in the second one

is your sig supposed to say God or is is it really od ?

Edited by antonywardle

I like the second one. Its more interesting and I feel I'm falling in to

it or it is moving.

I think that the focus moves from the castle to the plant in the second one

is your sig supposed to say God or is is it really od ?

"Geordiepix Photography" - A Geordie is someone from Tyneside in the north east of England :sun:

John

It's a nice effect but I think the colours are too bright and lines too hard. Looks like it should be on a biscuit tin lid. Perhaps a softer pic would suit better.

Here is another one of my images I have just applied the "oil painting effect" to. Its a shot I took in Sydneys Chinese Gardens. I have purposely tweaked this one quite a bit to make it more oil painting than photo. Do you think this technique has its place in photography ? It may cost you a few $1000 for an oil painting but you can tweak a photo for nothing. Once it is behind a glass frame I bet it will fool a lot of folk :sun: It is just another usefull tool to have it your digital armoury I feel. On a personal note I try and get all the parameters correct on camera before I take the shot,the vast majority of my photos are virtually untouched in photoshop apart from my watermarks.

post-34124-0-97583700-1427360310_thumb.jpg

post-34124-0-40553800-1427360362_thumb.jpg

John

John. You've done exactly what I suggested But. Sorry it's not for me. It looks too artifical.

IMHO it does not enhance the amazing photos you create.

BTW. I've got a copy of the pic you sent me in our Hall. I'm just waiting on a 3 X 2 canvas print being delivered. Looking forward to your trip so I can buy you some thank you beers.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

the effect seems to me to be too much...can you scale down the amount of "effect" maybe

Jim...

John. You've done exactly what I suggested But. Sorry it's not for me. It looks too artifical.

IMHO it does not enhance the amazing photos you create.

BTW. I've got a copy of the pic you sent me in our Hall. I'm just waiting on a 3 X 2 canvas print being delivered. Looking forward to your trip so I can buy you some thank you beers.

You will have to take a photo of the canvas print in situ when its sorted mate :sun: Also the beers sound like a plan :28:

Jim I have watered the picture down and tried to post it on here but got an error message - "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attatchments" ???

Do you get a daily/weekly allowance for disk space ? Does anyone know ?

Cheers

John