Is it illegal to start your boat on your property

mark10187

Hi all,

I'm having issues with a neighbour in regards to me starting my boat during the day he's complained to the local council regarding the smoke that comes from my 2 stroke motor on initial start and what he calls excessive noise has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on what time of day your doing it

The two stroke on your boat falls into the same category as your lawn mower and its against the Environmental Protection Act to start it before 8am on a weekend and 7am on a weekday.

Excessive noise is a bit difficult to prove as it would depend on the dB rating of your motor. But un acceptable noise is a different issue and can also relate to Air conditioning Compressors as well as some of the older type instant hot water systems which make a racket every time they start up.

Their have even been successful cases brought in the NSW Land and Environment Court against people starting excessively noisy trucks, preventing them from being started on residential street prior to 7am which resulted in the truck having to be parked in a near by industrial estate

Edited by Crossfire63

I only ever start it during the middle of the day or before 6pm and this is the first time I've started the boat since February 7th the date of my last fishing trip and before that was for the New Years weekend so I don't start it every week and I don't start it early morning or at night and today I started my motor at 11am to test it before I take it out tomorrow and make sure it runs only ran it for less than 10 -15 mins if that

Shouldn't be a problem then. Sounds like your neighbour is just being a Richard Cranium.

I'm surprised the council has re acted so promptly since you only started the motor today. Normally the Council Compliance Dept takes a couple of weeks to react to any complaint and even then they normally issue a letter of advice of the complaint in writing before they take any action.

Or has your neighbour simply told you that he has lodged a complaint with the council?

The fact that the council hasn't got in touch with you (I presume) would speak volumes. You could flush it at the boat ramp in the interests of harmony. That's what I do due the same problem. Sometimes it's neccessary

for me to flush it at home but making some effort at compromise stopped the complaints.

Shouldn't be a problem then. Sounds like your neighbour is just being a Richard Cranium.

I'm surprised the council has re acted so promptly since you only started the motor today. Normally the Council Compliance Dept takes a couple of weeks to react to any complaint and even then they normally issue a letter of advice of the complaint in writing before they take any action.

Or has your neighbour simply told you that he has lodged a complaint with the council?

he told me he has lodged a complaint and then I had a phone call on my house phone from the council but could of been someone that wasn't the council ringing not sure if that's what they would usually do

i use to start mine every saturday morning after mowing the lawns
let it idle for 5 mins then turn off

id tell him that what your doing is not against the law and within your rights to do

also dont flush at those car wash places the water is damaging to engines and ally boats

why don't you tell speak to him and say that its something that has to be done and its something that will continue to happen, then ask him if there is a particular period of the day between x & y that would be less disruptive to him and that you would try and do it within that period.

Otherwise tell him to get f****

why don't you tell speak to him and say that its something that has to be done and its something that will continue to happen, then ask him if there is a particular period of the day between x & y that would be less disruptive to him and that you would try and do it within that period.

Otherwise tell him to get f****

i like the second option.

snr

I just don't see what the issue is I could really understand if I was starting my boat at rediculous hours or even starting it every weekend but once every month or more shouldn't be such a concern to warrant calling the EPA and the council and it's not like I'm the only one in the street that owns a boat there's at least 5 with in 200 metres of my neighbours house

Sometimes electrical interference from the motor can interfere with TV reception, though i take that wasn't mentioned.

not a single word about it the only complaint was the noise and the smoke that comes out of it on initial start up and the only reason it is really smokey is because I don't start it regularly when it is started regularly it's really good and you barely notice the smoke coming out

Sounds like my Neighbour , as mentioned prior you are quite within your rights, I recently bought a prop muffler & I gotta say they cut tge noise in half, only cost about $15, good investment

Have a look around & see if he complies with council ie is his shed too close to the boundary, 2 can play at that game ! But to be honest you want to try & get on with your neighbours if possible

A close mate works for a council, in sydney area, in this roll(they are the health/environment inspectors usually). By all the stories i hear, the council staff will do the absolute minimum to close the case unless lots of complaints come in. They would love to tell the complainant to grow up. The case would have to proven with sound measurements etc for any formal requests to happen. I wouldn`t stress about it.

They do the minimum for these cases not because they are lazy but are more concerned with the commercial/restuarnts etc and they know people are jerks who want to live in suburbia/city but want country silence.

Edited by Snot

It always amazes me how the do nothing's in our society try to bring us down to their level.

If it was my neighbour and there was a legitimate reason like a shift worker I'd try to accomodate him if I could. But he sounds like a knob to me.

Yep friends keeps getting complaints from neighbours about storing boxs in his own garage made me laught and council guy laugh but you should receive a letter from council prob wanting to inspect otherwise and they'll close the case quite quickly that's Hornsby council I'll call them as well and find. Out regulations

Yep friends keeps getting complaints from neighbours about storing boxs in his own garage made me laught and council guy laugh but you should receive a letter from council prob wanting to inspect otherwise and they'll close the case quite quickly that's Hornsby council I'll call them as well and find. Out regulations

I went on the council website regarding noise pollution and there's nothing there regarding boats so I'm unsure what it would be classified as but during 7am-8pm Monday to Friday there's no noise restrictions so I don't think I should have an issue

The rangers are usually the ones that get sent round.

My father-inlaw is one here in Campbelltown council and his own words on the matter are: as long as you are making reasonable noise with a valid reason within the allowable times I.e not before 7am,the person complaining can go jump.

Flushing your outboard for a few minutes even daily if you like is a valid reason enough.

Now obviously if you start up a motor bike,outboard,car etc and rev the living day lights out of it at all hours like some of the braindead imbreds we have around here,then that's when after the warning periods the rangers give you you'll be fined.

It's best to just ignore the neighbour and keep doing what your doing as long as your just flushing it after use or running it for a few minutes before a trip.

5 minutes of outboard noise during daylight hours on the weekend.

Hmmmmm. If he lived next to me on the weekend it would be

20 minutes of lawn mowing

15 minutes of edging

10 minutes of leaf blowing

On many other week ends...

I get the mulcher going

In comes the chainsaw

Run the portable generator to keep it in good shape

Doing a little decking at the moment to so the circular saw will be on the agenda

Flush the boat motor for good measure.

Send him my way for a weekend mate... he doesn't know how good he has it!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister