Is it illegal to start your boat on your property

mark10187

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stephanb79

How about this you ring the council and find out ur self if you can if they say not a problem well tell him to get f%$k .. what counicl are you in ??? I dont have a problem I start my and let it run for 5mins or so ...

Edited by stephanb79

Unfortunatly you get those type of people, they are just plain un-reasonable.... thats life.

I had the exact same thing happen when I was storing my boat at my parents house, I tried to be the better person and started flushing my boat on the street , I never started it at night,also I even tried to use a bucket but they still complained and have now started complaining about my parents dog too!!! so they basically dont have a life and just take joy in complaining about everything!!! anyway to keep peace I have brought my boat to my place and I have made a silencer for it now and my neighbours here are far more reasonable and the funny thing is I live in a unit go figure lol I was expecting more trouble here!!

Anyway sorry for rambling on but I thought I would share my experience's with you. I have a solution for you since you said that if you start the outboard often it wont smoke too much so make a silencer or buy one and start the boat more often and maybe try to start it when your cutting your lawn to compare the noise of the mower and the outboard.

I made a silencer with a rubber coupling that I found at the hardware for about $10 I think it may be the one used on toliets but its about 80mm diameter and about 150mm in length and has 2 hose clamps on either side, I cut out some foam, the type you get with furniture etc. Wedged it in at the end leaving about half of the silencer empty, covered the end with tape so the foam does not blow out of the silencer and made holes in the foam and tape so there is enough backpressure for the outboard to run correctly and honestly its halved the noise by more then 50%.

If you want me to send you photos of it I can.

Regards,

Nathan

Mate, your neighbour is being a tosser! It's none of his business whether you run you motor or not as long as it is within the timeframes set by the council. If you would like some additional noise, I can send my four kids down for the weekend. That'll sort him out. Your well within your rights to run it all day if you see fit. Sucks to be you, I hate neighbours like that! Hope you sort it out.

Cheers scratchie!!!

If it was me, what I would do is go knock on his door. And say look I'm here to have a chat about the boat etc I'm here to talk man to man is there any way I can accommodate you with parttiular hours you would prefer I flush it out etc, explain it is nessicary to flush the motor etc.

The if he still is hard to deal with and wants to conplain about it etc if say well basically go f yourself I've tried to accommodate you and talk

To man to man but clearly you don't want to.

I've checked and it's within my rights to flush the boat so now you will Have to live

Thanks for the replies guys. Well there has been some more from the neighbour I had a letter from them outlining to me the dangers of exhaust fumes to myself and others and how my actions effect others

Tell him to photo copy a few hundred thousand and give one to every motorist in front of him he sees.

That should keep him busy for a while.

Well my outboard is very noisy and very smokey.

I try not to run it too much at home, and always

at a time of the day when people wouldn't be asleep.

The neighbors haven't ever said anything, but my wife

gets upset because the smoke gets in to the house through

the open windows.

If you can, I'd also try talking to the neighbor. Be prepared to

be disappointed in their response and know you at least had a go

at resolving the complaint.

The fumes can collect poorly ventillated spaces. I move my second boat away from the house as much as I can and close my front door and windows when flushing. Otherwise the fumes will accumilate

under the car port and end up indoors. Perhaps try flushing it out in the street, that might be far away enough?

The fumes can collect poorly ventillated spaces. I move my second boat away from the house as much as I can and close my front door and windows when flushing. Otherwise the fumes will accumilate

under the car port and end up indoors. Perhaps try flushing it out in the street, that might be far away enough?

that's the thing though I start it on my front lawn next to the road which is atleast 20 metres from his house and it only runs smokey for a short time once it's clear it puts out the same amount of exhaust fumes as my mower

Guest no one

I know it's not ideal, but just flush it at a ramp... It's really not worth the arguments over these things. Neighbours no matter how dramatic they wish to be can really ruin your living experience by being dick heads. Whether it's blasting classical music at 6am on Sunday's like mine does or complains about everything you do, leaves rubbish out etc... Best thing you can do is avoid the conflict regardless of fault or legality. Tow it to a ramp and flush it there!

We can't choose our neighbours and they can't choose us. So it is best to be as friendly as possible for both sides of the fence or street. Unfortunately this doesn't work in every situation and with some persons. If you allow them too much, they might grab more in the future. I would say try to communicate in writing and without emotions. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest no one

That's true Steve, I take my own hose and attachment, and drive to a ramp I know has a tap that's close, detour to that after every session!

we Had this problem a few years ago neighbour 2 doors up complained each time our dogs opened there mouths.... very long story but the neighbour had a friend in council.... it seemed he was of work on sickness benefits so we filmed him building a stair case down the side of his property hay presto no more complaints:>.he must of peed of some of the local kids as well as every friday night his garbage was sent down his driveway to crash at the bottom.... what a mess he had to clean up.....KARMA is so sweet... :banana: