Is it illegal to start your boat on your property

mark10187

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok here is the lowdown on noise.i live on 5 acers near campbelltown and yes you are alowed to do most things. just like city folk,there is a law that can end up with the police taking what ever is making the niose.

firstly you have to be reported 3 times in 28days then the police give you a noise abatment notice if you do it again within the 28days they come and take what ever is making the noise. the bloke next door dosent like motorbikes evey time i ride mine down the back i get a visit from the police.

best thing is after 28days it all starts again,yes ne gets the shits when i start my boat but as its up the front of the property he dosent ring the cops

YES YOU CAN GET BUSTED IF YOU FLUSH YOR OUTBOARD EVERY WEEKEND

i have two coppers in the family and they have told me all this and it is confirmed on the internet

the council will come and do a sound check but ringing the police is done that day they have to come out he seams happy then

cheers

I am fortunate to have my boat kept in the industrial estate. Although I don't think my neighbours would complain as we are in the hills and there is always lawn mowers going off anyway.

See if you can find an industrial site or make friends with the regular servo. I used to go to my servo and run my motor there for a few minutes.

Just a quick update guys the neighbour next door to the one that complained spoke to me about council contacting him regarding the noise and excessive smoke from my boat motor and he told council exactly as I have been saying that I don't start it weekly and that the last time he remembered me starting it was months ago and that the smoke has never been an issue to him. But the most interesting part he told me is that he has had nothing but problems with him as well complaining to council about his boat and other problems and that also he has complained to council about the neighbour behind him so it looks like it's not just me this guy is just a serial pest to everyone

I had a neighbour like that once. Always complained about my dogs barking. So at great expense I put the dogs in a kennel for two weeks and the drop kick lodged another complaint with the Council. When the letter turned up I returned it to the Council with a copy of the receipt from the kennel along with a letter explaining that I now considered these complaints to be harassment and should they continue I would seek information to identify the complainant under the Freedom of Information Act and would sew both he and the Council for harassment and vexatious litigation.

Never heard another thing

Hi Bustoff, he hasn't got a (legal) leg to stand on, but if you feel like trying to reason with this person it may be that they work shifts and can't sleep or may have a child or somebody ill who needs daytime sleep. If they don't present you with a legitimate reason then you are doing nothing wrong and shouldn't concern yourself too much. Try to meet them half way (initially) and if they persist in being difficult, point out that you are doing nothing illegal and they will have to get used to it happening, occasionally. Good luck mate, Neil.

dont take neils advise you noise dose not have to be put up with

i am in the same boat with my bikes but the guy next door rings the cops they have to come out

google noise laws in nsw you will be supprised what can happen

all the propertys around me all have some sort of motor bike but he just complains about mine so i get the cops the other people in the area get to ride their bikes all day boat bike its all noise

noise abatement orders can now be done through the police and with stupid advise given here you can lose yor boat taken by the cops and you have to go to court to get it back

just because it your house or 5 acers in my case you cant do what you like the goody two shoes make sure of that

jim

I vote we have a BBQ and boat cleaning / engine servicing day at your place, we can all flush our engines and stand around comparing the different running motors.

I'll marinate some goat and put it in the Char Broiler. He hasn't seen smoke......... yet

I'll marinate some goat and put it in the Char Broiler. He hasn't seen smoke......... yet

I don't own a boat at present, But I do have a wipper snipper, blower vac, chain saw, and 2 dirt bikes.

Will I be on the guest list? The goat sounds good!

I'm with you MV, I too am lucky to have great neighbours and the one next to where my boat is parked is also a fisho so I get no complaints either.

Sorry to hear others are having real issues, my only suggestion is to keep them onside if you can - sling them a fish or three if you have a good day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

FYI. I've just posted my design for a low cost DIY outboard exhaust silencer/muffler in the Workshop forum which may be of interest and help. By my iPhone Apps measurements my 200HP EFI two stroke now flushes at 80dB - noise of an Average Car.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=77270

Edited by zmk1962