Brisbane To Sydney

batfishing

Hi Guys,

A few weeks back I went up to Mooloolaba to check out a 36 Luhrs with a mate, which he has subsequently settled. We will be bringing it back down over Easter, starting Tuesday for two, Wednesday for me due to business commitments.

We intend to take 5-7 days dependant on the fish and the weather window.

So will hopefully keep you updated with a few fish tales and pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well interesting start, Monday I sent 2 rod tubes and a pallet of gear up. Well Tuesday, one tube arrived, Wednesday another tube arrived. The pallet......Umh it's omewhere, but not here, and TNT don't know where!

Which means we have rods, no reels, no lures, I have no clothes, and the list keeps going!

So a trip to Kmart this morning, underpants, shorts and shirts. A web sales site, found a Penn International 50 setup for sale 5km from where I was so grabbed that. Ian, who's boat we are bringing back, went to the local tackle store, organised a Finnor 50 setup. When I got to the boat we discussed this, mad a call to the tackle store and organised a penn 850 spin outfit.....the guy at the store believe it or not, spooled both reels and delivered the outfits to us at 6.30pm on Thursday evening before Easter!

The guy at the marina was working on the aircon on the boat until 5pm...and then cam back down at 6 to give us a few skirt lures!

Safety wise, we have set up two ditch bags, with a brand new GME GPS water activated EPIRB, handheld VHF floating and submergeable as backup to the fitted unit. Both ditch bags are in the Flybridge with the life jackets.

All systems have been serviced and checked and we are ready to head off tomorrow.

You can buy empty Ditch Bags.

What's in ours is v sheet, air horn, flares, 1 current set, and the last expired set, whistle, submergeable floating VHF handheld, GPS water activated EPIRB.

It is sitting up in the bridge with the life jackets.

Today we set off at 7am, there was a good swell running across the Mooloolaba River Bar, and the into a sloppy 2-3M swell, which we tougher out to the Bribie Channel, where it settled down, and we put lines out.

We had one good hit, which I had on for a while but unfortunately dropped about 15m out from the boat. After that nothing.

Headed to the tangalooma wrecks where we have enjoyed the afternoon, relaxing.

Today's trip.

Interesting day, had breakfast to find out we had totally flat batteries, and could not start an engine!

Then discovered that with the generator running the batteries are not receiving any charge.

Discovered the 3 outlet charger had 3 blown fuses! So bush mechanics, Perry did a marvellous job of bending some picture hangers into the same shape, and they worked.

So we boiled a pan of water on the stove tap, sat back and enjoyed it, and by that time, we had enough in the batteries to start the engines.

We then did a run to Newport, tied up outsidemy brother and sister in laws new residence. Many thanks to my young nephew, who had ran out and picked us up a deep cycle battery for the anchor winch.

Also his girlfriend, who dropped us at the local shopping Center whilst she picked My older nephew up from the train station. So whilst Ian and Perry went in to top up a few supplies and more importantly a few small metal lures and plastics.

I went to Repco and bought a few necessary bits and pieces and cringed at the price of everything I picked up!

Then I played Pawn Stars and walked next door into the Cash Convertors, managed to pick up a battery charger.

Then straight back to the boat and straight out. I had tried calling two marine chandlers for a winch solenoid. But no luck.

After we stopped tonight, a Gerry rig on the winch electrics, we now have a working winch. Also removed the picture hangers in the charger and replaced with new fuses.

Will try, so far I seem to have spent more time in the engine and other rooms than i intended to.

Did manage a spotted mackerel today which kindly donated itself to sashimi and fillets.

Buying stuff I sell ! $3.50 for 5 fuses! We sell 100 for around $16. Insulation tape, crimps, don't even start me!

The TV etc on this boat are USA, so we can't get any channels. Anyway the previous owner had left an Ifish DVD on board for us, which we quickly realised was all the adds from the first couple of years!

So whilst I was playing pawn kings today, they were selling DVDs 5 for $10, so I bought 10.

Yep, the f...." IFISH DVD was obviously multi region. We have spent 2 hours trying to hack the Bose system with no luck so far!

Ok, I cannot upload photos off the iPad, tapatalk refuses, switching to browser mode won't do it either. Aaaargh.

Weather, beautiful,

yes Tapatalk is a real problem isn't it

You should be able to do from Safari though - I just did from my iphone and ipad air

Well we spent a very relaxing night off Russell Island, awoke to a beautiful morning.

Started the generator up, and had breakfast. Lifted the Anchor using the winch, the Gerry rigging worked well, just needed the bedroom hatch open, so Perry could yell at me buried under the bed operating the battery master switch. The procedure worked much better when we actually opened the hatch!

We then did the run down to Surfers, which with a few 6kn zones, there is no choice except for it to be leisurely. Pulled up at the fuel wharf, guy asked us how much we were putting in, then said it clicks off at 670L, so we will need to reset and I'll give you 6c a litre off.

Whilst doing this we saw a police vessel with a maritime officer come up alongside and start photographing the vessel..........there was no rego numbers on the boat!

So this started fairly uncomfortable. I will try and keep the explanation short....Queensland Boat, no address in Queensland so Ian could not transfer the rego. Tried to transfer it to NSW rego, but RMS need to sight the boat as anew rego, and a boat code has to be affixed. Qld rego papers mean nothing.

And we copped some of those take no prisoners officers...whilst we are discussing the rego, I'm filling the boat, the fuel hose clicks off, and I'm chatting with Perry about how much fuel we put in. And the nice policeman says and 2L in the Gold Coast seaway!

As the hose clicked off, the overflow breather dumped a litre out. So the photographed that as well!

Then they wanted to see all the safety gear, so life jackets (brand new) and the two ditch bags. They looked at the Brand New GPS Water Activated EPIRB. Where's the rego sticker? Huh, what rego sticker, well ANSA send out rego stickers you have to place on them, well it was only registered last week!

Luckily Ian had his IPad with us, with an email acknowledging the online registration. They then settled Down a bit, told us you should actually carry a copy of that letter to verify the registration, and that there is a delay with ANSA getting the labels out!

They then left, the maritime guy needed a new notebook, honestly he filled his pages, and a camera as he had no room left on it!

We headed out and tried a fish, first time we have ever been to a FAD and been the only boat on it and anywhere near it......probably because there was no fish.

So we decided to get some miles under our belt as it was only 1.30pm. So the run South started good, a nice long rolling swell but after about 30 mins, something happened..........the wind picked up, the waves stood up, and it became a hard wet run, we decided to run into Ballina. A little bit after Cape Byron, it improved a bit.

As we got off the bar crossing at Ballina, we radio'd in to inform them our intention to enter. And asked for advice on crossing.

Just stay clear of the southern wall, and try and pick it, it looks good then it stands up, there's no timing to the sets.

What type of boat are you in?

A 36' Flybridge

Oh ok, just hit it

It was an interesting crossing, to say the least! But the boat handled it like a dream.

So this morning we had a leisurely start, arrived at the bar at 7am, which meant we at least were a couple of hours into the incoming tide. A study of the bar showed no waves breaking this time, just long rollers up to 3m, so it was a comfortable quick run out.

Sea conditions once out were excellent, so we marked three fishing FADs on the way and headed to the first one. We saw quite a few turtles today and a lot of dolphin. Bird life though was definitely on strike for the day though.

We managed a few small Mahi Mahi and two keepers, which again provided a great evening meal.

Sea conditions were kind enough, that I was able to prepare some fresh smoked ham and egg sandwiches for lunch.

We pulled into Coffs Harbour at around 4pm, and for the first time moored up in a Marina for the night.

interesting comment Steve, I actually asked yesterday if we could go through to Melbourne!

I was contemplating at the end of this trip I will have covered Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays to Sydney, in two separate trips now. I was actually thinking the idea of fully circumnavigating Australia, could be a good bucket list goal

• 2 weeks later...