Jewies off the beach, what am I doing wrong?

smallscott69

So I've just come home from yet another unsuccessful trip and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been targeting Mulloway around the Illawarra beaches for about one and half years now on average once a fortnight. Since day 1 I've made sure only to fish the high tide changes during dusk/night and around the transition of the new/full moon. I've also made sure to only use fresh bait: live yakka, fresh yakka butterflied, slimey fillets, freshly caught squid, fresh tailor and salmon fillets. I've explored most of the Northern beaches and have fished the majority of them up to Austimere. Unfortunately most of the time I leave empty handed. I've even gone out and bought myself an expensive set up specifically to catch Jews... It's sad ain't it.

One thing I noticed tonight is that the majority of the times I'm fishing there's just s#!@t loads of seaweed getting caught on my line which manages to cause tangles and screw my bait up. I've also noticed that a lot of the beaches are quite featureless and shallow. Tonight I walked up and down the entire beach only seeing huge shore dumpers, the white wash was about 30m in length and I couldn't cast anywhere decent without risking my life. I'm really struggling to find the motivation to head out now, can anyone help me hook onto one?

Welcome to Jew fishing mate....

Like you said, you seem to be doing everything right, but there are a couple of things that i would do differently (keep in mind, what i may do, some other jewfisher would not).

1. If theres weed on the beach and its a sturggle, just pack up and call it a night. It drains your morale and your energy and i have never had much luck with weed around.

2. Look for beaches which are not featureless and shallow! or if you do haveto fish these featureless/shallow beaches, go up on end or the other where the beach meets the rocks, there should be a gutter running out to sea (or onto the beach) there, fish that area (i prefer gutter going out to sea myself).

Keep at it! your jewfish awaits! You are well past due for a fish with good bait and your choice of fishing times.

Mate I'm from illawarra I fish for Jews quiet reg if u want some tips fill free to tag alongI'll and by the way I fish for Jews run out tide much more productive, fresh squid not from the shop and Taylor that's what I have found works for me,

I must be doing somthing right this years I've only come back with no Jews 2 twice this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys think about fishing a beach with lighting? Beaches like bulli and austimere are very well lit by the car parks and roads.

I've heard that any sort of light including a head lamp will scare the fish away yet austimere is renown to be a great beach for jewies, it's the most lit up beach in the area

Welcome to the game, I have about the same sory as you! All I can say is in terms of beach fishing in general and hope it is linked to jewfishing. I agree that if theres weed then leave. It is a pain, and not worth dealing with. It arrives during orr after sustained periods of onshore wind and/or heavy swell. And always find some structure, with big areas of shore dump, if thers nothing behind it then its likely to be a big drop off, and might be worth a cast with a bigger sinker (whether jews would sit in such an environment i dont know)? I really dont know but if all else fails, try something new!

Cheers

Mate I would love a dollar for every hour I have chased jews.

If possible, look for a gutter on low tide, they stand out more, so you know where you need to be when you hit the beach. I find my spot during the day, lucky to live and work on the coast, fresh squid caught that day and hit the beach as the sun is going down. I have success fishing when there is minimal tide movement.(smallest rise in the water from low to high) and near a headland if possible.On my local beach I have best success on the change of the tide, to high and the next 2 hours.

Mate if you use FRESH bait, minimal tidal movement in a gutter near headland or rocky area at night you have to be in with more than half a chance ....... and did I mention shitloads of patients/persistence.

Tight Lines

Mate I'm from illawarra I fish for Jews quiet reg if u want some tips fill free to tag alongI'll and by the way I fish for Jews run out tide much more productive, fresh squid not from the shop and Taylor that's what I have found works for me,

I must be doing somthing right this years I've only come back with no Jews 2 twice this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you take me along too? :15:

I have moved to the coast in the last 6 months and have discovered that there is a long learning curve, particularly fishing for jewies. One thing I have learnt is that the regular anglers on the breakwall where I fish have been very helpful. One suggested using 130mm Squidgies Drop Bears, and I have finally broken the jewie drought. Although the only one I have caught was only 50cm it is a start at least. I still have a long way to go, but it has been fun learning the methodology.

Sympathy for you mate. I was the same as you and eventually it got the better of me. I had tried everything mentioned with the help of fellow raiders, still nothing. In the end I had to call it quits as I started to take it personally and way too seriously to the point where it affected my moral on and off the sand. Maybe one day I'll give it another couple of years of my life. I'll never understand how anyone can catch them regularly. My conclusion, There is still a big element of luck involved.