snatcher

StarTrail photography - anyone tried it ?

This is one of my photographic challenges this year. Anyone had any decent results with the technique ?? Have not tried it yet but will try it over on the Mull of Galloway where our static caravan is. The light pollution there is just about zilch :sun:

Looking at stacking 120 x 30 sec exposures into one image. "If" I manage anything half decent will post up the results. There is a new moon on 19 April so if it is a cloudless night will have a go then :sun:

John

This is something that I have also been meaning to try but haven’t got there yet. Can’t you just set your camera to Bulb? I have purchased a Remote Controller so that the camera does not move when using Bulb photography.

This is something that I have also been meaning to try but haven’t got there yet. Can’t you just set your camera to Bulb? I have purchased a Remote Controller so that the camera does not move when using Bulb photography.

I did do a one hour exposure 5 years ago and will post it up now. What I want to do this time is to encorporate some land into the composition. Also if you do a stack of 30 second exposures it is fairly easy to erase any passing aircraft out. It is a fairly active area for aircraft.

Cannot add the image,must have exceeded my image allowance - I think? Do any moderators on here know what the allowance is for adding images ? Cheers

John

Edited by snatcher

Would ber interested to view. The aircraft trails may add an extra bit if interest if you left them.

Interesting stuff :sun:

Here is that one hour star trail I took back in 2010

post-34124-0-92298300-1428396093_thumb.jpg

I could not add the image as I had reached my "global limit" for attachments. I then deleted 5 images from an old UK fishing report which has enabled me to post this image. In future I may revert back to adding images via my photobucket account.

We head off over to our caravan tomorrow for a few weeks so will probably be "off the map" during this time as internet connection is not the best. Plan to do that star trail though so will post up the result when we get back home :sun:

John

G'day John

Will follow with interest. From your report, and profile, I take it you are from the UK.

Regards

John

G'day John

Will follow with interest. From your report, and profile, I take it you are from the UK.

Regards

John

Yep I am a pommie barsteward right enough :sun: Live in Whitley Bay on the north east coast of England. Although having said that we spend most of our summer over in our static caravan on the Mull of Galloway on the south-west tip of Scotland.

Our daughter is living in Frenchs Forest,Sydney and we have had 4 trips over to your great country to see her and our grandsons Joshua and Theo.

Each trip is a 3 month stint and I fish as much as I can when there. I wedged on 23 reports on here on some of my ozzie angling adventures. Looking at coming back again early October for another 3 month trip :sun:

John

Good to be able to catch up with your family. October can be a bit of hit or miss with the weather but generally nice. 3 month trips give plenty of time to see the family and get about a bit as well.

John

Just got back from a 2 week stint at our caravan on the Mull of Galloway. Had a go at shooting a few star trails during the night of the new moon. Here are 2 I have processed so far.

post-34124-0-76494400-1429855486_thumb.jpg

In this one note the meteorite to the left of the headstone.

post-34124-0-53194600-1429855619_thumb.jpg

Still got a few more to process :sun:

John

Beautiful. How long was the exposure?

It was 120 x 30 second exposures,I stacked/blended them all in Photoshop. Have got hold a different/free software star stacking programme which may not be as long winded as Photoshop !!!!

Here is another one.

post-34124-0-39353100-1429889848_thumb.jpg

John

Great photos. I must have a crack in the near future.

Booked our flights now :sun: Head out to oz on 07 Oct for a 3 month trip. Bring it on!!!!

John

Here is my last star trail photo. This one was only 15 minutes long as it started to rain so I packed in then. Did anyone notice I had captured 2 meteorites in my second image ?

post-34124-0-26301000-1430976508_thumb.jpg

John

Astrophotography is one of my hobbys just wish i had more time its very weather dependant plus finding somewhere with little light pollution.

Here a few of my more successful ones.

20 second exposure @F1.4 iso 3200

529568_436758706413414_492327150_n.jpg

Same settings as above.

947075_449083155180969_902510515_n.jpg?o

Same settings again but this one is a 3 shot vertical panoramic.

10394824_675817709174178_188618434255589

My first go at star trails, i added a few wrong frames hence the broken start of the trails. 180 x 20 second exposures

10577200_675817725840843_382899775345396

As above but with a "comet " effect added while stacking.

10583966_677250299030919_109734114037927

And my latest one whilst fishing i made a little fire and sat back to watch the meteors while waiting for the drag to scream.

this one is a blend of 3 x 20 second exposures.

10855051_797217177034230_545481743864158

Keen to see what you guys can capture in the future.

Edited by NWHC

Thanks John, be careful it turns into an addiction!

Clear skies lately but I can't bring myself to brave to cold I'll force myself out next dark though.

No more "star photography for me here in the UK now this year as its now our summer - allegedly !!!! and it never gets dark enough. Also heading out to oz early October for another 3 month trip. :sun:

Will be based at my daughters at Collaroy,will there be much light pollution there ? Also plan to hire a car at some stage and drive up the coast to Byron Bay,is there much light pollution that way ?

Pleased to say as well as keeping a lot of fishing gear in Australia I also keep a photographic tripod there :sun:

John

I would imagine collaroy would not be the best, but plenty of spots between there and byron. Byron may also be good depending on which direction you are shooting.

Little places like seal rocks, mungo brush, diamond head etc would be ideal spots to have a stop over just time it with the moon and you will have some of the darkest skies around.

I would imagine collaroy would not be the best, but plenty of spots between there and byron. Byron may also be good depending on which direction you are shooting.

Little places like seal rocks, mungo brush, diamond head etc would be ideal spots to have a stop over just time it with the moon and you will have some of the darkest skies around.

Will try mate :sun:

John