First ever Murray Cod

swano

A rundown on our long awaited New England 5 day cod trip.

Unfortunately a few of the boys couldn't make it,so it was just Stew & me

9 and a bit hours later we reached our destination,There was a couple of lady anglers just leaving "THE COD ARE ON BOYS".(they fished clear water and no rain)

Quickly unpacked and rigged up noting that the water was getting a bit murky from earlier rain upstream.

Just about to walk to the river when the rain started,No worries,wet weather gear on and away we go.

A few hundred casts and a couple of kilometres later,not one strike.Then the rain really started,3 inches of it.

Headed back to the main pool at the Cabin before dark,in the distance I could see Stew skull dragging the smallest cod he'd ever caught,

finally they might be coming on,as I also had a small hit on the spinner bait.But that was it.

Back to the cabin for some tea. Totally soaked to the bone!

After dinner dry clothes and surface lures,again the rain just kept coming,and again nothing,except a thorough drenching.

Woke to rain the next day,and went for a quick fish in front of the cabin.Stew finally cracks it for a decent cod.Then nothing,except rain and a river rising before our eyes and getting dirtier by the minute.

Drove to a new spot and fished it hard for a couple of hours,starting to get depressed,when WHACK my first ever cod.Finally the monkey of my back.

Back to the cabin for lunch and get ready for the arvo session(nanna nap).

Went out again but headed in the other direction for a couple of hard kilometres with only minimal breaks in the rain till we found another fishable spot,it was worth it cause I was on again, another cod,what a beautiful looking fish,no record breaker but I was stoked.

Back to the cabin to eat,drink & dry out again.

It poured down again over night and we woke to a river not far from breaking its banks and the colour of chocolate milk. Phoned the property owners who told us we could still get out another way as the bridge we came in on was under water.Still had 2 days to go,but decided to pull the plug,the fishing was over with still more rain to come.

Although it put an end to my trip,I really enjoyed every minute of it,and the people up there really needed the rain.I think whoever gets to fish there when it all calms down are going to be yelling"THE COD ARE ON BOYS".

Thanks again Stew for a great trip all the tips and some pretty good driving.post-13870-0-56888900-1428312648_thumb.jpg

post-13870-0-45366600-1428312683_thumb.jpg

Didn't have a photo of Stewies fish so here,s anotherpost-13870-0-54897300-1428312711_thumb.jpg

Yeh congrats Deano on your first cod and hopefully we can do it again.

It was a top weekend except for the rain but I got to go 4x4 driving in the new discovery and with rock crawl mode and superior height adjustment we had no problems in the slush,mud and swollen creeks.

Great company as well on the long drive up and back and the Disco never missed a beat.

Catch you at the social for less rain and more fish.

We'll be back

Awesome stuff deano. I know swordy was looking forward to the trip, so at least the two of you got to go! Congrats on your first. I'm still yet to tick that box. Maybe when I'm old and need a nanna nap like you fellas, I might join you! Lol :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest no one

Onya Swano! I think the greatest accomplishment you made over the week was putting up with Stewie for that long!

Onya Swano! I think the greatest accomplishment you made over the week was putting up with Stewie for that long!

Hmmmmmmmm I didn't get to meet your wife Ed or see you again at the tournament

Guest no one

Yeah, I'm under the thumb... [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] but mate... She's worth it!! What other woman lets someone with a 2 month old baby go fishing every weekend without complaining?

Thanks for the comments boys.

Not that hard to put up with stew,I just pretend I'm going deaf and say "AY" "WHAT" :wacko:

Deano

Does that tree have a hole AYYYYY SPEAK UP