Picnic Point Holiday Fun

ambrose607

G'day, Raiders.

Took my 14 y/o daughter out today for a fish at Lambeth Reserve. Arrived there around 9 am and the tide was running out. Expectations were high as on Good Friday she caught 7 different species at Picnic Point. We fished for around 1 hour with one whiting and one tailor,both undersize. Within 10 minutes grandparents with grandkids came from everywhere. The place was so crowded - crossed lines and tangles everywhere. I could see the writing on the wall so we packed everything in the car and went to Picnic Point. When we arrived there, BINGO! The place to ourselves. The tide was on bottom low and nothing was biting. We decided to have a break and eat some lunch (7/11 chicken and lettuce mayo sandwiches are great). After lunch, another family turned up and started fishing using rare steak for bait. He nailed this monster!

post-36174-0-10291900-1429005801_thumb.jpg

The poor bloke had nothing, not even a bucket. His daughter wanted to go to the boat shed to see if they had buckets for sale. I got some cable ties out of my car and we clamped the claws closed. The crab was a male and without a measure it was about 14-15 cm. When the guy left he gave me some small crabs that he had collected from underneath the rocks earlier on at low tide. I put them on a size 6 bait holder hook and landed these 2 beauties. They actually smashed them. I didn't think their mouths could open enough to eat a crab the size of a 50 cent piece.

post-36174-0-51776800-1429005750_thumb.jpg

post-36174-0-92734600-1429005663_thumb.jpg

The first was 31 cm and the second was 28 cm. Both ended up ready for the table.

Thanks

Wayne

Hey amkr, I know you go there quite a bit at those last set of steps there are plenty of small rocks at low tide. The small crabs are all under them . This guy knew what he was doing he sent his two boys down into the mud to catch them obviously done it before as they were wearing gum boots. Keep persisting around the picnic point area as there are some good fish there. I was lucky the guy went home and gave me the half dozen crabs to use other wise i would've gone home with a donut

We get absolutely smashed on fresh prawns, within seconds we've either caught pickers or been baited.

Never tried the crabs though.

is that where those wooden sticks are poking up out of the water? I've tried to have a throw around those a bit to see if theres anything about but didnt have much luck!

Might be worth switching back to some plastics and having a crack! How far out were you casting?