Minn Kota electrics

martoiscool

Hi all,

This is a question for all the electrical gurus out there. I've had cause to strip down my riptide ST 55 bowmount after it went for a swim.

I've opened up and cleaned everything and I reckon it's as clean and saltwater free as new. Well when I tested it, everything worked except steering it left and right.

I assumed I must have put the steering box back together wrong, so I pulled it apart and found that the little electric motor was dented slightly and I couldn't spin the shaft. I bent it back into shape and now the shaft spins but still no joy.

I pulled out the multimeter and started testing. Now this is where my question comes in. What strenght of reading should I get when I'm testing the wires to the drive motor and pushing the left or right on the remote?? When I tested my battery I got the usual 12ish Volts on my multimeter show up. When I tested the wires it gets around 4 volts show up.

Does anyone know if this is the correct amount of voltage that should be showing or should it be higher?? This testing was done after the mother board at the wires that connect to the drive motor to make sure it was getting power.

The reason I'm asking is that it's $30 for the little motor from USA. Or I have to buy a new motherboard and motor from BLA at a cost of $580.

If anyone knows what reading I should be getting don't be scared to speak up!!

Yeah I think I may have dented the little steering motor when putting the steering housing back together.

I did some further testing late last night. I hooked up the little motor to a battery I had laying around and it works fine. So I'm thinking that when it was in the drink or when I tried to move it side to side, the motherboard has blown or partly failed, and this is the reason I'm only getting a reading of 4ish volts off the wires after the motherboard.

Sound about right?

It's possible. I don't know for sure but you would think a 12v system would have a 12v volt motor not 4v. You could email the company or importer and ask.

One thing I would check and this is from experience is every electrical connection on the whole unit. Top, bottom and to the board. Make sure they are 100% clean and solid.

I have soldered EVERY CONNECTION on mine to avoid problems. This might be a bit difficult if the unit is old as the solder won't take to older wiring but if you can do it, it will make things a lot more reliable long term.