Manly Dam/Manly Lagoon

JimT

I don't know about Manly but with the upper Georges river from Liverpool weir , , milperra,Picnic point areas after heavy rain like we are having the river is full of fresh water eels. Probably come through the storm water pipes that empty into it. They take anything that is offered, Prawns, Pilchards , Sqid must be really hungry

• 1 year later...

You'd be surprised at what has come out of Many Lagoon, not from Manly Dam though. At one stage there were some huge mangrove jacks in there and many sub tropical species of trevally etc have been pulled out over the years. certainly until there was a massive fish kill in there some years ago.

Matt

yeah iv fished the lagoon quite a bit i got busted off there once by something decent which i thought must have been a huge brim so i tied on a new plastic and cast back out to the same spot and got hit again and once again my reel started screeming ended up being a small GT couldnt believe it

1 hour ago, olie said:

yeah iv fished the lagoon quite a bit i got busted off there once by something decent which i thought must have been a huge brim so i tied on a new plastic and cast back out to the same spot and got hit again and once again my reel started screeming ended up being a small GT couldnt believe it

What do you mean by GT here?

On 1 November 2016 at 9:43 PM, olie said:

Im sorry but i find that very hard to beleive

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Im sorry but i find that very hard to beleive

Well you should pop down to the Manly Vale tackle store and look at the photo of the 6 kilo plus GT taken (and unfortunately killed) from the 'goon a few years ago. The GTs there seem to have reduced greatly in number past few years, still a few big eye trevs to 1.5 kilos though. 

54 minutes ago, bombora said:

Well you should pop down to the Manly Vale tackle store and look at the photo of the 6 kilo plus GT taken (and unfortunately killed) from the 'goon a few years ago. The GTs there seem to have reduced greatly in number past few years, still a few big eye trevs to 1.5 kilos though. 

On the assumption that manly lagoon is now polluted and overfished and given that GTs and big eye trevally are both coastal and estuary going fish, then you would assume that either specias would be caught in the areas directly outside manly lagoon ? I fish the area regularly and have never caught, nor ever heard of one being caught in the area, let alone one at 6kg

i still dont buy it

You would be very surprised at what has come out of that lagoon. Big eye trevs & GT's used to be quite common.

I've seen both, & also some huge Jacks. You may not buy it, but I have seen it & know it to be true.

That was quite a few years ago though. Not sure about now, as I haven't fished it in a long time.

This is worth a read.

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/manly-lagoon-a-state-disgrace

I've personally caught estuary perch in there, not many and not big and that was before the massive fish kill some years back when the golf course released something nasty into it. Also caught several small GTs, also before the fish kill. Sub tropical species around Sydney aren't a new thing, spotted mackeral at Bobbin head would be unexpected nevertheless I've caught caught them there, and in the harbour off Dobroyd!

Matt

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

is this photo supposed to be clear and undeniable proof that this fish was caught in manly lagoon ? that photo could have been taken anywhere

Wow, no need to be so rude. If you don't believe a discussion & what other people say & you have absolutely no idea about something then you really should keep your crap to yourself. Thanks for the pic Ollie. Nice little GT, I assume, as you live in Avalon it was taken from the 'goon.

26 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

Wow, no need to be so rude. If you don't believe a discussion & what other people say & you have absolutely no idea about something then you really should keep your crap to yourself. Thanks for the pic Ollie. Nice little GT, I assume, as you live in Avalon it was taken from the 'goon.

Mate having an opinion doesnt make me rude. I fish the area very often and as such DO have an idea of the lagoon. I could beleive that 50-100 years ago there were GTs and big eye trevally in there. But to say that that GTs could still be caught in there now ? With the pollution and filth? Its not the right habitat. Thats just my opinion and one that i am entitled to