Couple of catches on spinnerbaits

Went out for a few hours fishing on Saturday arvo. Murrumbidgee water level was fairly low and very little run (current) in the water. Managed to get a yella (41cms) and a trout cod (49cms)post-20708-0-23068800-1430065808_thumb.jpgpost-20708-0-89803900-1430065958_thumb.jpg on spinnerbaits, which were both returned to get a bit bigger. Cheers, Neil

A couple of nice fish there Neil.

Although I fished the Murray for many years I have never had much luck with spinnerbaits. I find that they are a completely different technique to hard bodies and I keep forgetting to lift the rod tip, rather than pausing when I hit structure. I get snagged too easily, and have come to the conclusion that I may as well get them out of the packet and throw them in the water at the base of the first nice snag. LOL. Love flicking hard bodies for natives.

Cargo 05, I've only recently started using lures for native species and there's a lot of emphasis on how the spinnerbaits are used. What I find amazing is that they work -very effectively. I bait fish mostly but this next Summer will see me using the spinnerbaits more regularly. My boat isn't ideal for their use so I go with a mate who has a foot control electric motor and casting decks. I don't get snagged TOO often, but if I do, use one of those long extendable poles to release my lures, and seldom lose any. Cheers, Neil.

G’day Neil

The lure retrievers are a great accessory aren’t they? When fishing structure, which after all is where the fish are, they often retrieve lures to a greater value than their purchase price in one day. I rate them very highly. I dropped mine overboard when fishing Lake Mulwala one day, and purchased a new one the same day.

When fishing the fresh I am a big fan of hard body lures, particularly those manufactured in Wagga, and only go to spinnerbaits when the fishing is slow. I really should fish them more than I do.

John

• 2 weeks later...

That trout cod looks awesome. What an amazing looking fish. Are these a rare capture? Both fish look in top condition and it's good to see.

Well done mate.

Edited by Dave_

Hi Dave. No there's plenty of Trout Cod in the Murrumbidgee (in my area) AND they're very aggressive. Don't think I've ever caught an emaciated fish, and I've caught hundreds, over the years. Cheers, Neil.

That trout cod looks awesome. What an amazing looking fish. Are these a rare capture? Both fish look in top condition and it's good to see.

Well done mate.