A funny thing happened....

DerekD

Hi Raiders,

A funny thing happened a few months ago on the water and now that the weather is so miserable I thought I'd share it and hopefully put a fishing related smile on someone's face.

Was on the kayak heading out for a fish. Stopped past Clifton Gardens on the way out to see if I could catch some fresh bait. Nearby there was an aluminium runabout with about 4 guys on it. One of the guys had some heavy gear with a big bend in it. My first thought was that is one solid kingfish. The guy on the rod was pretty well built and he was lifting the rod and then winding down. Of course I had to stop and watch. He was working the rod pretty hard and the fight took him around the side of the boat to the stern and back again. Another fishing kayak pulled up nearby me to watch this awesome fight. About the same time both of us realised the same thing and made the same comment about not being a lot of head shakes showing at the tip of the rod. I changed my guess from kingfish to some sort of big stingray.

At this point the big guy holding on to the rod was absolutely shattered and had to pass the rod to one of his fishing mates to take over the fight. His mate took a few more minutes to get this mysterious denizen of the deep to the surface and to find out they had hooked and landed their OWN anchor line. Priceless!!!!!

I laughed and laughed and laughed some more.

If laugh but I did exactly the same thing :/

Snapped my brand new graphite rod in the process.... I cut the line at that stage and Was convinced it was a ray until we pulled up the anchor to head home and I found my soft plastic on it :(

Everyone laughed at me

Edited by amkr

baha that is a pearler. I'm sure most of us have hooked our anchor rope a few times but to fight it like a champ for so long, that would have made a great video :)

What bait did he use? Be handy to know if I ever lose another anchor.

Cheers

Paikea

Caught it on a 75mm red squidgie with a paddle tail. Anchors love those with a slow retrieve.

A very very good mate of ours who is also a raider, did the exact same thing at Clifton about 5-6 years back.

But it gets better, wasn't only HIS anchor he dragged up but ANOTHER anchor wrapped up in the chain of his anchor that someone had lost. :mfr_lol::1wallbash: . I wont mention this raider by name, but by gawd it was funny watching him drag up TWO anchors.

Dan

I don't fish off boats but I always bring up something interesting or disappointing.

What about when you get nibbles and bang you're on. You fight and tug and it feels heavy but you notice it doesn't fight much. You think it's a ray or a octopus and then you end up reeling in a huge branch or log with a tiny little bream wrapped around it.

Guest 4myson

Great read mate , really enjoyed it . I've lost a few fish to anchor ropes but never hooked an Anchor . I wonder if he could Qualify for COTM ????