What wheel bearings?

NaClH2OK9

Raiders.

I've an older boat on an even older trailer.

I've spent some money doing the boat up but to be honest with only 500m to my boat ramp have not paid any attention to the trailer which looks pretty sad.

Ive had a friend round tonight who advised that the rust was not a structural concern but I should probably change the wheel bearings.

Trouble is I have no idea who make the hubs! I've limited time out of work to do this before the entrance social (which I wasn't expecting to take my boat to)

Is it possible to guess from my stud pattern?

The trailer make on the rego is jawar

26ab924e6c19d86262e2964f02acff39.jpg

Sorry guys I'm not skilled with trailers. Could this just be a standard Ford or Holden pattern or do I need to pull the hubs to find out?

Edit - typo

Edited by NaClH2OK9

G'day Salty, safest way is to spend 10 mins taking the wheel off and checking the number on the outer bearing...then get two complete sets and whack them on. Could save you big time in the future. Good luck.

If you need a bearing/wheel puller they are not expensive any more, I paid $19.98 in a discount tool shop in Bayswater Vic for a 6" 150mm unit.

The writing is a bit small in the picture, I said mine at $19.98 looks the same as this Kinchrome but seeing you may only use it once it's good enough, if it breaks they should give you a new one.

post-36252-0-29796700-1430777849_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rud

don't know if it will be easy for you,

but in the past, I've taken the hub off

and then taken it to a shop and compared

the stud patterns with theirs to find out what

hub I had. From there I could buy the bearings

I now know I've got ford hubs. I've just got a new trailer

and I'll have to do it again to see if I can figure it out,

although the guy i got it from said they'd just put in holden bearings

mate I am from SHadow trailer repairs and could have a look for you if you like I will be in sydney untill thursday arvo.. on the other hand you can meassure the axle if you cant read the numbers on the bearings.. most likelythey will either be standard ford or holden, but there is ony a couple of millimeters diffrence between the 2

Guest 4myson

Holden bearing kit , make sure you get one with the marine seal (comes in 2 pieces) . Hope this helps .....

· Here's some info that may help.

Axle length is measured from tip to tip of bare Axle

Specifications

39mm Round Axles - 750kg maximum operating weight. Runs LM (Holden) bearings.

40mm Square Axles - 1000kg maximum operating weight. Runs LM (Holden) bearings.

45mm Square Axles - 1400kg maximum operating weight. Runs SL (Ford) bearings.

________________________________________________________________________________

Bearings

Bearings are used to match the type of axle you have NOT the type of stud pattern you have. Eg. If you have Ford wheels, but your axle is Holden, then you need hubs with a Ford stud pattern and Holden bearings.

LM (Holden bearings) suit 39mm Round & 40 mm Square Axles

· Outer (small) bearings # LM 11910 - Cup

# LM 11949 - Bearing

· Inner (large) bearings # LM 67010 - Cup

# LM 67048 - Bearing

SL "Slimline" (Ford bearings) suit 45mm Square Axles

· Outer (small) bearings # L 12710 - Cup

# L 12749 - Bearing

· Inner (large) bearings # L 68110 - Cup

# L 68149 - Bearing

The best way to work out what bearings you need is to measure the flat part of your axle stub where the bearings sit.

________________________________________________________________________________

Stud Patterns / PCD

(for all hubs / hubdrums / hubdiscs)

Stud patterns are worked out using the PCD measurement. This is the distance from one side of the stud circle to the other (see picture below). Many wheels from different makes and models have the same PCD, ie. even though a stud pattern is referred to as 'Ford', it also matches Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota etc.

Ford - 1/2" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 114.3mm - 68mm from stud to stud

Holden HT / Early Holden - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 108mm - 65mm from stud to stud

Holden HQ - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 120.6mm - 72mm from stud to stud

Commodore - 7/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD 120mm - 72mm from stud to stud

Gemini - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 100mm - not available in braked kits

Toyota - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 114.3mm - not available in braked kits

Mini - 7/16" UNF studs - 4 Studs - PCD 101.6mm - 5 1/2" hub - not available in braked kits

Landcruiser 80 series - 1/2" UNF studs - 6 Studs - PCD 139.7mm - 70mm between studs

Landcruiser 100 series - 9/16" UNF studs - 5 Studs - PCD

Chrome Mag & Lug Nuts

Available sizes:

Lug Nuts - 1/2", 7/16", 12 x 1.25mm

Mag Nuts - 1/2", 7/16", 12 x 1.25mm, 12mm x 1.5mm

Why use bearing buddies with your hubs?

Because water enters your grease & bearings under normal conditions, and without bearing buddies, air pockets are created within the hub, and get hot and expand.

As you drive down the boat ramp, the bearings enter the cold water. The air and grease inside the hubs shrinks and sucks in water. The problem with this is that the water then contaminates the grease, turning it into a hard, gritty, muddy muck. This will DESTROY your bearings.

And no one wants to be stuck on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, wishing they had Bearing Buddies.

When using bearing buddies, drive to the boat ramp, pump grease into the bearing buddies until it expels grease out the rear seal. It is spring loaded so it keeps a positive pressure and is solid with grease inside your hub, which in turn helps to stop water entering.

Bearings will still need maintenance, but just not as often, the savings you get back from bearing buddies, in grease and labour, will pay for itself in one sevice.

Cheers.

in the old days I had a system on my boat trailer called seabears or similar (too many days out on the boat) witch used a different seal on the back with a hose connected to a one litre bottle filled with automatic transmission fluid. so each time the trailer was submerged the temp difference in the hub would such oil into the hub not water. the bearings lasted the hole time I owned the boat which was in the water at least two to three times a week for about ten years. I sold that boat over twenty years ago ( time flies) hope this helps I don't know if they are still on the market or if anyone has herd of them

Cheers

DavidA

just to make one thing very clear...... It doesnt matter what stud patteren youhave the bearing can be either ford or holden.. you need to measure or have someone look at them to be sure... there are serial numbers on the bearings if they are still readable. Fab1 has given you the correct measurments to have a look at

Thanks Sean. I picked up from Bigneil that I was risking it not checking the numbers.

I was just hoping someone may know the trailer brand or if Ford. Holden had differences eg 4/5 stud. So I could have got the parts before getting greasey on the side of the road then putting it all away whilst I go shopping.

I would have got you to look but I just don't have time mid week.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I'll tackle it on Saturday and see how I go.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Fab is correct, I had a scenario like this on my last trailer:

If you have Ford wheels, but your axle is Holden, then you need hubs with a Ford stud pattern and Holden bearings

Fab, don't tell me you know all these measurements off the top of your head?!

Fab is correct, I had a scenario like this on my last trailer:

If you have Ford wheels, but your axle is Holden, then you need hubs with a Ford stud pattern and Holden bearings

Fab, don't tell me you know all these measurements off the top of your head?!

Some,not all.But in this day and age it's not hard to find the info required with the advent of the net and service bulletins.

hello all .. 1st post for me :D ... fitter by trade and just browsing the forums cause i recently got my 1st little boat and want some tips on painting it but ... for your bearing issue .. take the little cap off the centre of your axle and clear grease away if you can read the number write them down and go to any bearing supplier and theyll sort you out with same or equivalent bearing ... if you cant read them take the bearing to a supplier and same again ... if you have vernier caliper .. od of axle and id of wheel hub and thinckness of bearing ... hope this helps