To kill Carp or not to kill a Carp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a carp fisherman so my views can be easily dismissed but I don't like the idea of just leaving them on the river bank and possibly for a reason many don't think of but I think a lot of those just left behind become food for feral cats and foxes that are as big if not bigger scourge on native wildlife than the carp is to rivers. Just throwing that out there to start the ball rolling.

Edited by boattart

I'm not a carp fisherman so my views can be easily dismissed but I don't like the idea of just leaving them on the river bank and possibly for a reason many don't think of but I think a lot of those just left behind become food for feral cats and foxes that are as big if not bigger scourge on native wildlife than the carp is to rivers. Just throwing that out there to start the ball rolling.

That's a tame start but thanks anyway.

Come on you lot of PMers here is your chance to whinge about these fish or NOT

well I found a cook book for them and also a youtube on how to

clean them to avoid the muddy taste. I'm keen to have a go.

That said, if its not native then I don't have a problem with

them being killed and disposed of properly. I have a completely opposite with the also

introduced trout so I guess I'm just a contradiction

;-)

I personally don't want to kill anything that I don't have to.

Many years ago when I discovered a Sydney creek full of big carp, keen to catch them but not kill them, I contacted fisheries to get the info on what is legal and not legal.

I was told it is legal to put them back (he did say we prefer you dispatch them and dispose of them at your home), and it is illegal to move them to any other body of water than where you caught it.

So me personally, if I catch a carp, I'll be putting it back.

The few times I would target carp, really wouldn't make a difference to their numbers.

I kill them every chance I get. They are a feral pest and have decimated our native fish. It's a shame they are so destructive and crap to eat because they are an awesome fish to catch. We even used to freeze them then use them as bait in pig traps, pigs love to eat them and the stinky bastards attract animals from a long way away haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents and no I didn't do any other comments or PM'ing lol.

If having less Carp means our natives can survive better then I'm all for knocking them over the head. They are a pest.

I noticed some people were saying they don't want to kill the ones they catch because what difference will one fish make?

It's the exact same reason why you don't take undersized fish. If everyone does it, it makes a big difference.

Guest no one

Coming from Britain where they are prized C&R only fish I'd find it very hard to kill one due to the respect I have for them!

That's why I wouldn't catch one here, I'd hate to kill one!

BUT Rules are Rules and rules are there for a good reason!

Coming from Britain where they are prized C&R only fish I'd find it very hard to kill one due to the respect I have for them!

That's why I wouldn't catch one here, I'd hate to kill one!

BUT Rules are Rules and rules are there for a good reason!

There are no rules only what others think is ok

To me personally i don't care if they are killed or returned to the water. What i can't understand is that they are a noxious fish yet you can buy Koi from an aquarium shop. Go under the Liverpool bridge and throw in a slice of bread it will soon be attacked by colorful carp and feral goldfish obviously someone's pets at one stage until the novelty wore off

They are not a real sport fish. They are merely an oversized gold fish. I would never put a line in my fish tank, that's the equivalent.

They pretty much just spelt the name wrong! CRAP not carp!

What is the point of killing a carp in a closed lake where they are the only species in the lake? Most of my carp I release because they come out of closed lakes where the harm no native species. If I catch a carp where a native fish is present I'll kill them and really the only thing I can do is leave them on the bank no really wanting to eat carp when I have a freezer full of king fish. I really see no point in killing carp in lakes. Carp are a awesome fish to fight and I always want a spot where I can come back and keep catching them so that's why I realease the carp I catch back into lakes.

What is the point of killing a carp in a closed lake where they are the only species in the lake? Most of my carp I release because they come out of closed lakes where the harm no native species. If I catch a carp where a native fish is present I'll kill them and really the only thing I can do is leave them on the bank no really wanting to eat carp when I have a freezer full of king fish. I really see no point in killing carp in lakes. Carp are a awesome fish to fight and I always want a spot where I can come back and keep catching them so that's why I realease the carp I catch back into lakes.

Because you get floods etc that spill the pests into the surrounding systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk