To kill Carp or not to kill a Carp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest no one

What is the point of killing a carp in a closed lake where they are the only species in the lake? Most of my carp I release because they come out of closed lakes where the harm no native species. If I catch a carp where a native fish is present I'll kill them and really the only thing I can do is leave them on the bank no really wanting to eat carp when I have a freezer full of king fish. I really see no point in killing carp in lakes. Carp are a awesome fish to fight and I always want a spot where I can come back and keep catching them so that's why I realease the carp I catch back into lakes.

Flooding... Which we've had plenty of recently moved the carp, fertilised eggs on a birds foot... The temptation of a good willed kid moving a live fish to a new location, uncaring foreigners moving fish to suit their own needs...

Because you get floods etc that spill the pests into the surrounding systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I never even considered this and if it wasn't for a recent experience I would have dismissed it as some BS justification.

The girlfriend's parents have a place up at St Albans, infront of their house is a huge lake/dam thing that is packed full of fat carp. The lake is entirely enclosed, not even pipes or stormwater run into it.

It the floods we had the other day, it flooded across 2 paddocks, across the road, through a bamboo infestation and connected to the river.

The water still hasn't fully subsided, but its no longer connected to the river... from what I have been told, you can see the carp swimming in the 2ft of water still remaining in the horse paddock. God knows how many of them made it into the river!

I thought they must be killed, ie it is illegal to return them to the water, being a noxious species.

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...ational-fishers

take note - It is not currently illegal to immediately return captured carp to the waters from which they were taken (defence under section 216 of the Fisheries Management Act). However, carp are a noxious fish in NSW and Industry & Investment NSW encourages recreational fishers to retain and utilise any captured carp rather than returning them live to the water.

Some of the carp fishing comps they catch hundreds of them and it's just not practical to throw em up the bank so the ACT carp fishers lobbied to allow them to be released, a very controversial decision to be sure.

The Singapore carp found in many eastern flowing waters are relatively benign however the German carp in the Murray Darling system are a scourge on the environment and need to be destroyed whenever possible.

The devastating impact they have had on our waterways is enough for me to have no qualms about dispatching them. Heading out west you see huge amounts in areas that would previously have been prime native fisheries but the way they destroy water clarity and mess up ecosystems is staggering. They are a pest, use em for fertilizer they work a treat!

I thought they must be killed, ie it is illegal to return them to the water, being a noxious species.

that was what Ive been told all my life & NOT to be returned to the water even after killing them incase they have eggs that survive

They make great fertiliser & some of the carp comps Ive heard are sponsored by fertilizer companies that own the rights to the fish at the end of the day.

Leather Jackets should have the same rules!

Seamus has basically said what I wanted to say but here I go

My response to all PMs sent to me is : where we fish for carp, native species are not present in the lakes, therefore the carp are released

But if carp caught in creeks which hold natives e.g. Bass, we kill them

I personally have a lot of fun chasing carp and when hooked up to the bigger ones is awesome fun

Even the fish around 45cm put up not a bad fight

I fish for the sport of it with ultra rods (1-2kg), reels (1000 size), and leader (4-6lb)

This makes fishing for them more enjoyable

And like seamus said, we fish for our future to catch more and to know that there are some big numbers of fish where we fish for them

I'm not a fan of 'kill the carp because there a pest'

I understand what they can do to the environment of other species but in the bass creeks we fish, there are high numbers of bass in there so the carp can't do that much if we still get heaps of bass

Some fish that we catch are trophy fish for people on the other side of the world and if you've watched the videos of them with their carp, they really care about that sport

Obviously we don't take care of the fish that well like putting cream where they've been hooked or damaged before but we still do respect the carp

Therefore, I don't kill lake caught carp but in creeks they are killed

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No brainer

KILL EM ALL. They cause too much devestation to our native fish stocks. If they where not around there woulkd be so much more natives and Trout. The guys going out to target them are only doing so as there is not much else to target in those waterways as they have taken over.

Dave

me and my mates are pretty much the only people who fish the lakes we fish so by killing 10 or 20 carp out of a massive lake isn't going to do much and the chance of these lakes flooding into creeks is very low even when we had all this rain it didn't flood. if they were such a problem in lakes why don't fisheries go around netting them all out i can see why they can't do that in rivers and creeks but why not in a lake

If they are the only speecies in the lake ? Why do you think that is? They have taken over and devestated it would be the assumption?

because no other fish have been stocked into the lakes other than carp they were there from the start

because no other fish have been stocked into the lakes other than carp they were there from the start

Im sure Carp where not stocked into this lake so where did they come from? Must have been through a creek ? or something? Which would otherwise have natives? I dont care where it is, if there is carp there and nothing else they have devestated that waterway. wherever they came from our natives would have came in the same way if they had not been demolished by the carp.

Im sure Carp where not stocked into this lake so where did they come from? Must have been through a creek ? or something? Which would otherwise have natives? I dont care where it is, if there is carp there and nothing else they have devestated that waterway. wherever they came from our natives would have came in the same way if they had not been demolished by the carp.

not my fault they got in now they are the only fish in the lake and provide me fun so i won't be killing them in there. if they are such a massive threat to native species in other systems why don't they net the whole lake it, its not like its private and it wouldn't be that hard rather than relying on some kids that love catching them to wipe them out

Im not sure mate, but, Believe it or not as much as some people whinge about fisheries policies and rules. Fisheries have some very smart environmental scientists, marine bioligists and the like to scientifically research issues. They are doing a great job with Size limits and bag limits and our ocean fish are coming back in a big way. They recommend to not let them back in the waterways for a reason.

I use to hear stories from my Pop and still from my father about the smallest of inland creeks and waterways full of fish rarley seen these days, Macqaurie Perch, Silver perch in abudance and I know Trout are introduced themselves but them to thriving in our waterways living alongside our natives though not wiping them out.

Carp and also Redfin should be put in the same category have done a good job of destroying many inland waterways and it is very dissapointing when I go out to waterways and dams that my dad would take our family to years ago to catch Trout, yellowbelly, Cod, Silver perch. Now we go out there and all we see is mass schools of carp in the shallows destroying banks and breeding like nothing else, Cant catch anything else but carp. Sounds just like the lake you have been fishing actually, nothing but stinking old filthly carp

Edited by Dfishin

Im not sure mate, but, Believe it or not as much as some people whinge about fisheries policies and rules. Fisheries have some very smart environmental scientists, marine bioligists and the like to scientifically research issues. They are doibg a great job with Size limits and bag limits and our ocean fish are coming back in a big way. They recommend to not let them back in the waterways for a reason.

I use to hear stories from my Pop and still from my father about the smallest of inland creeks and waterways full of fish rarley seen these days, Macqaurie Perch, Silver perch in abudance and I know Trout are introduced themselves but them to thriving in our waterways living alongside our natives though not wiping them out.

Carp and also Redfin should be put in the same category have done a good job of destroying many inland waterways and it is very dissapointing when I go out to wterways and dams that my dad would take our family to years ago to catch Trout, yellowbelly, Cod, Silver perch. Now we go out there and all we see is mass schools of carp in the shallows destroying banks and breeding like nothing else, Cant catch anything else but carp. Sounds just like the lake you have been fishing actually, nothing but stinking old filthly carp

Sure there a pest mate but these lakes where stocked with the carp, my mate looked it up and unless we have a month of hard rain, these lakes won't overflow and spill to the creeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In regards to the why don't they net them fisheries actually has a couple of projects in which they are trying to approach it just the same as they did with the rabbits with targeted viruses etc. and the lakes wouldn't of been stocked with carp they would of swam in through a flood. This seems to me to be a bigger issue than some kids enjoying catching them considering the damage they do to the Eco system.

In regards to the why don't they net them fisheries actually has a couple of projects in which they are trying to approach it just the same as they did with the rabbits with targeted viruses etc. and the lakes wouldn't of been stocked with carp they would of swam in through a flood. This seems to me to be a bigger issue than some kids enjoying catching them considering the damage they do to the Eco system.

i don't care if they net them all up i can always chase other fish. not every lake is right next to a creek imo there are plenty of spots where they are completely locked in and not gonna do any harm to anything. i don't believe every carp came in from a flood some might come from birds yes but i believe some have been let go as gold fish or accidentally stocked

Without carp I'm sure these lakes u fish would bounce back with native fish. The fact is carp are a man made disaster for Australian Eco systems just like the cane toad.

Without carp I'm sure these lakes u fish would bounce back with native fish. The fact is carp are a man made disaster for Australian Eco systems just like the cane toad.

i agree i just cant see wipeing out every carp in Sydney happening anytime soon

I agree but if they do get a virus like they did for rabbits then hopefully it might eventually be achievable I'd love to see the creeks and rivers back where I grew up returned to the prime fishing my late grandfather told me about.