To kill Carp or not to kill a Carp

i did some checking it appears that in Victoria you must not return carp to the water alive, but in the case of NSW and the ACT it is recomended that you kill them but this is not mandatory.

Having grown up in inland Victoria catching redfin, carp and trout, it has been well drilled into my brain that under no circumstances do you return a live carp to the water, and rightfully so as it is the law down in Vic. Having said that, what good do they do to our water systems? They aren't naturally part of our waterways so why should they be left there?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billfisher is correct. In Victoria carp cannot legally be returned to the water alive, however, in NSW and ACT it is only strongly encouraged not to do so. (Another case of laws that should be uniform across state/territory boundaries).

Scientifically carp are viewed as undesirable ecological pests in Australian water ways with negative impact on water quality, vegetation, and native fish populations. It is also well documented that they cause damage to riverbanks, loss of aquatic vegetation, increased water turbidity and algal blooms.

I well remember fishing in the 1970s when carp populations exploded. For the first time in my fishing lifetime it was possible to consistently catch over a hundred fish in a day on the Murray River, using nothing more than the humble garden worm. Fishermen of the time cursed the “euros” because amongst other things water clarity diminished proportionally to the increased carp numbers, and it initially became more difficult to catch Murray Cod. To our eternal shame it was excepted practice at the time to toss carp onto the bank and let them rot. Little thought was given to the environmental impact or the stink of the rotting carcases.

Having said that it is also undeniable that some native fish populations in the Murray Darling Basin have increased since the 1970s. There are a lot of factors which have a positive contribution to this welcome outcome. These include, but are not limited to, the benefits and flow on from increased scientific research, increased restocking rates, environmental river flows, increased numbers of fish ladders introduced to waterways, more people adhering to bag and size limits, less irresponsible activities such as netting and the use of springers etc., improved fishing equipment and technology, and the increased popularity of catch and release practices. Although controversial, some fishermen also believe increased native fish populations could also be at least partly attributed to natives adapting to the additional food source that carp numbers have provided.

Having converted to exclusively flicking lures I have not caught a carp for decades, however I would have no hesitation to kill them because of the environmental damage and degradation they cause.

For the record I have eaten carp, cooked by a keen fisherman who immigrated to Australia from Slovakia. I can’t remember the exact process he used to prepare the fish other than it involved soaking the fillets in milk for an extended period to leach the muddy taste, followed by soaking in white wine. He went to a lot of trouble to prepare and cook the fish, however it was still the worst fish dish I have ever tried.

Guest no one

Regardless if this lake only has carp in it flooding will see them move out and destroy another habitat!

Guys can we get something straight here. Where me, Jordan and seamus fish in these lakes for carp, all lakes if they overflow and spill to creeks, the roads will be flooded before they spill into creeks

I went the day all that terrible rain stopped and we went to just about every lake and not one of them was even close so getting near anywhere where it may spill to a creek, in fact they where a tiny bit higher but not much at all, maybe only half a foot to a foot higher

Where u guys might fish for carp might spill to creeks but not where we fish

It might be transferred by birds but there is no way 3 young passionate fisherman can stop that from happening

Killing 5 out of 5000 carp isn't gonna do much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having converted to exclusively flicking lures I have not caught a carp for decades, however I would have no hesitation to kill them because of the environmental damage and degradation they cause.

For the record I have eaten carp, cooked by a keen fisherman who immigrated to Australia from Slovakia. I can’t remember the exact process he used to prepare the fish other than it involved soaking the fillets in milk for an extended period to leach the muddy taste, followed by soaking in white wine. He went to a lot of trouble to prepare and cook the fish, however it was still the worst fish dish I have ever tried.

I lived in China for several years where it is a very common fish on the table, when covered with enough garlic, chilli and God knows what else, the taste can eventually be covered up, but one might as well cook a piece of cardboard as it would taste the same after such treatment.

Oh and not even lures are safe from carp all the time, I actually caught on trolling a yellow dixon spinner in the wimmera river down in Vic about 20 years ago!

Personaly I think this thread has gone full circle. It seems to have been raised to allow opinions to be discussed outside of a fishing report by young Raiders. Only to end up in the same place.

I do understand the passion of trying to stamp out a badly introduced species. I also understand the dislike of killing if not for food .

Is there really any advice being given here or just a chest beating display from people who want to Shout what their opinion is?

I am appreciative that admin and moderators recognise and faciliate a need for members to express differing opinions. But on this occasion I'm struggling to see how this is adding value?

If it is not law ( or statute ) then there is no obligation. So crack on fisherman6784 do it the way that feels right for you. Listen to the opinions of others but make up your own mind.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Gianni, Seamus and friends. Your original article, with the pictures of the large Carp which you caught, is a testament to your collective angling skills. You really are exceptionally skilled to catch Carp of that size on the tackle which you use. You present your fishing stories and pictures in a manner which generates a lot of interest from other Fishraiders. Good on you and keep it up! I guess while ever the authorities, that look after fishing regulations, leave an option of humanely dispatching OR releasing Carp...each angler has the prerogative to make a choice. I believe that we anglers need clearer direction from the Regulatory Authorities in NSW. All responsible anglers follow the regulations and recommendations of Fisheries regarding bag and size limits...so what we need is a directive from them that all Carp will be humanely disposed of and not returned to the water. Some members have suggested that killing 1 or 2 or a dozen would make little difference...not the case though. Carp are prolific breeders and survivors, often at the expense of other species, with which they share the water. Personally, I don't like to kill any fish (unless I'm taking it home to eat) but I make an exception with Carp because I believe that native species suffer from the sheer numbers of Carp in our waterways. They share the same food sources after all. On the subject of where Carp are found and whether they share the waters with other species, we need to be aware that flooding is always a possibility. Carp have managed to find their way into most bodies of fresh water, anyway...one way or another. So the message from me is to the regulation makers. GET OFF THE FENCE AND SEND A CLEAR DIRECTIVE TO ALL NSW ANGLERS. You guys have the relevant information to hand...Either Carp are a noxious pest or they're not. If they are, then make it compulsory to "knock 'em on the head".

I didnt realise this post has been made in relation to another post or veiws from these young fisherman. I actually thought it was raised just to have a debate for shits and giggles. So to the young fellas that this is relating to please dont take this as a personal attack. I did think that it was illegal to throw them back until a couple of years ago when I was informed by reading on hear that it wasnt illegal to throw them back. Anyway if this is about you young fishos throwing back Carp and it is not against fisheries regulations you do as you please. Just the same as we are not allowed to bag out fisherman for taking big fat female flatties, or tacking a marlin for a feed, you have the choice. I really wish you woulkd stop throwing them back though.

Admin started this so all your dirty laundry can be aired.

We usually just stop this type of thing but we wanted it all out in the open so it wont happen again.

Regards Admin

Hey I find it amusing. The poor old carp if it tasted better we would love it like the other introduced species like trout and Redfin that taste good. Norwest lake is also full of carp and the kids love catching them. 10lb fish on 6lb line how better to teach the kids about fishing in a safe environment. I was teaching the kids how to kill them humanely and some do gooder gave me heaps in front of the kids. I politely told him to go away. So now we do 50 50 some go back so in the bin.

We humans often "get it wrong". Myxomatosis, cane toads, genetically modified plants and CARP, to mention but a few. Many of these problems need to be resolved, but the solutions come with a cost. It then becomes a political debate...how much money is TOO MUCH to spend versus "how much of a problem is it really?" Only time will tell whether the decisions made today, impact adversely in the future. Let us hope that the "decision makers" get it right...I would hate to think of an environment where there were no Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, Silver Perch, Trout Cod, Bass and the like, for we anglers to enjoy catching...and all because of the introduction of Carp. Here endeth my second sermon...watch this space. he he!

Anyone else want their two bobs worth ??? because if not in NSW you can release or kill the carp you catch and that is a fact and until the government change the law that is how we will do it on Fishraider

Hey I find it amusing. The poor old carp if it tasted better we would love it like the other introduced species like trout and Redfin that taste good. Norwest lake is also full of carp and the kids love catching them. 10lb fish on 6lb line how better to teach the kids about fishing in a safe environment. I was teaching the kids how to kill them humanely and some do gooder gave me heaps in front of the kids. I politely told him to go away. So now we do 50 50 some go back so in the bin.

Norwest Lake now has a no fishing sign. I was there on Tuesday getting ready to have a go when I saw the sign.

So I through my bread in and walked around where I saw another sign that said " Don't throw food in there" too

I was half expecting to see another sign a bit later on that said, stop walking around the lake too!

So now looking for a place near to that to have a go at Carp fishing. Anyone been to Strangers Lake/Creek which is to the West of it?

Edited by antonywardle

Coming from Britain where they are prized C&R only fish I'd find it very hard to kill one due to the respect I have for them!

That's why I wouldn't catch one here, I'd hate to kill one!

BUT Rules are Rules and rules are there for a good reason!

Hey tef1on,

I'm from the UK too, and I kinda feel the same as what you said.

Being brought up in the UK, carp are considered as prized a fish there as a marlin, kingfish or Trout lol, here!

Edited by foolforjesus

Anyone else want their two bobs worth ??? because if not in NSW you can release or kill the carp you catch and that is a fact and until the government change the law that is how we will do it on Fishraider

Exactly! I'll be doing what everybody in my regular fishing environment does and dispatching them. Been an interesting debate, eh and we all reached the same conclusion.