Stanwell Park Hump

dogbox

I walked out on my job so this might be the weekend I have to go buy a car cause I have to hand the company car back:(

But if it's Sunday I'll hope to get a car sat and be on the water Sunday, I don't think I can hook the boat on the push bike..

good friends should have tow vehicles!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this post from start to finish. At this stage I'll be going out from Gray's point ramp (plenty of parking if earylish) if my crew aren't available I'll have a spot available in my tinny. Will post in a few days if I'm looking for a crew member.

bruce

Krispy. If the weather turns I'm up for a different weekend but my daughter has a presentation next Sunday mate.

For sure, I 100% understand family comes first. Would be keen for a different weekend as well as you said depending on weather

Stanwell Park Hump

31st May 2015

This is not a Fishraider event all persons are responsible for their own welfare and safety. This is nothing more than a gentleman’s gathering for a day’s fishing. All are welcome.

· Assemble location Hungry Point

· Gathering time 6am (live bait collection can be done at this location)

· Heading off to the hump at 6.30am

· Individual boats responsible for logging on with Marine Rescue channel 16

· Boat to Boat chat channel 77

· No fishing stories will be accepted without pictures so please take some.

Weather from the BOM as of 7am on the 25th May 2015 for the 31/05/15

Sunday 1.00 AM 4.00 AM 7.00 AM 10.00 AM 1.00 PM 4.00 PM 7.00 PM 10.00 PM

Temperature (°C) 12 12 12 14 15 15 15 13

Wind direction WNW W WNW NW NNW NNW NW WNW

Wind speed km/h 13 13 13 11 11 11 9 7

Waves 1m swell SSE 1m 11 seconds

Jibbon Bumbora and underwater rocky out crops along the cliff lines.

Return location is the NW corner of Deeban Spit Malanbar 1.30pm for a chat and recap.

Next Update Friday 29th May

dogbox

Edited by dogbox

Found this post on a charter site with photos dated 17th May 2015

Weather was great and we had a full boat of 8 heading out Port Hacking heads at exactly 6.12am.

Arrived at the HUMP and dropped lines. Apart from a few birds and nice company, there was nothing….. so we quickly moved out deeper into 140 meters of water chasing snapper. We dropped the anchor and within 10sec of hitting the bottom it was on !!

Stanwell Park wide had little current so we decided to throw down some soft plastics which was a great surprise to Craig and his mates as they had never fished without bait before.

By 11.30am we had a full bucket of nice Snapper, Morwong and flathead. We took off around 12.15pm for a quick trip back to Cronulla Ferry Wharf (Port Hacking River).

On the way back back to cronulla we saw some a huge school of dolphins that where playing in out wake having heaps of fun….

Plenty of beers, cheers and fish….. a great day all around.

dogbox

Anchoring in 140m may be a challenge for some ;)

Just as a guide for those who haven't headed out before I did the run with change from 45l of fuel. On an early 8os eventide 2 stroke ( as always I had 50 L spare fuel with me) most of the journey was sub plane speed.

Evening Raiders

i have fished the hump area over the years and I will part of my knowledge in an attempt to help. I think south east of the hump is large gravel beds where the reds graze. I think they move around. We tend to fish 40m - 65m in depth. You dont want the current pushin hard, however you need some push - downhill. You can anchor and berley and this is successful floating baits back down the trail. You just need to judge the weight of the ball sinker. Not to heavy. You can drop a bait straight down on the bottom while floating baits down. Try to set your dropper on this rig three metres off the bottom. Helps to keep the rubbish away. Be patient as once you get fish in the trail you should catch a few. We have sat and worked the baits for 3 - 4 hours before we have had a bite.

You can drift and we are tending to do this. We are using floaters and jigs - shimano bottomship jigs. We use a big sea anchor to slow us right down and deploy jigs and floaters. The jigs are awesome and the reds just nail them on the way down and as you work them on the way up. we just lift them 20m up and then drop them back down. No need to bring them right up - you must have the jig straight up and down. It will not work if the jig is on an angle out the back of the boat. If you drifting look around the gravel beds and look for bait. This time of the year you tend to find plenty of bait. If you find the bait you will find reds in the area.

On top of the hump you tend to catch lots of species rather than the quality. It should fish well now until november. We do look for clean blue water rather than dirty water.

If you read some of my past posts about the hump this may help,

all the best next weekend

Anchoring in 140m may be a challenge for some ;)

Just as a guide for those who haven't headed out before I did the run with change from 45l of fuel. On an early 8os eventide 2 stroke ( as always I had 50 L spare fuel with me) most of the journey was sub plane speed.

140m youve got to be kidding me, I have a 10m rule on my boat - if the sounder says more then 10m the anchor stays in its well!

Thanks piratin

Thanks, sound just what ill be doing hunting in SE corner. I'm planning to pick up some squid at hungry head drive pass Wattamolla for a few bonito head for the SE corner of the hump.

I also got a tip that in 30m of water off sth Garie headland we should be able to bag out on Flathead. Another tip was a reef in 40m +- off the rock fall off Sth little Marley

In regards to the weather i use three independent providers that predict weather all are forecasting waves and swell under 1m W -NW winds. Only one is predicting winds up to 20kph

IMOS was showing that the ECC and a southerly east coast current are merging between JB and Sydney so hopefully we should have a low current speed.

And yes find the bait school u find the fish, look for the arches under the bait school.

Cant wait

dogbox

Edited by dogbox

I have no problem in putting down my anchor in 40m of water.

I happy to entertain the thought of a string of boats off :banana: one anchor, thats worth a photo :sun:

Dogbox

Edited by dogbox

Guest no one

Gonna be going on Saturday fellas, currently the weathers good and to be honest, just going to be a better day for me! I'll let you know how I go

Stanwell Park Hump

31st May 2015

This is not a Fishraider event all persons are responsible for their own welfare and safety. This is nothing more than a gentleman’s gathering for a day’s fishing. All are welcome.

· Assemble location Hungry Point

· Gathering time 6am (live bait collection can be done at this location)

· Heading off to the hump at 6.30am

· Individual boats responsible for logging on with Marine Rescue channel 16

· Boat to Boat chat channel 77

· No fishing stories will be accepted without pictures so please take some.

Weather as of 4.45 am on the 30th May 2015 for the 31/05/15; see attached

Jibbon Bumbora and underwater rocky out crops along the cliff lines.

Return location is the NW corner of Deeban Spit Malanbar 1.30pm for a chat and recap.

Next Update; see you on the water at Hungry Point

dogbox

post-19822-0-36174300-1432927087_thumb.png

Well we had a great day There was only 2 of us on my boat myself & Kevin (fishraider - Brudus) as we left Botany Bay the seas were letting us know they were there and the spray was freezing! by 6:30 we were at Jibbon the wind had calmed down seas had backed off & the weather continued to improve from there.

With nothing to brag about we did get a smorgasbord of fish but anything legal was only just legal though we did get a snapper & that was the game plan 31cm but it was still a snapper

all in all we had a great day out in excellent conditions and some good fun!

All Thanks to DogBox for puting the plan in action.

Thanks for sharing Brett. Sounds as challenging as I found last weekend.

Not all down to you Brett but how many others made it out.. Any other catchers. Was main bar a party after? Cmon boys share!!!!

It's not for everyone but Ed organised a fad convoy months ago which was an average output on the day BUT the team outing has stood the test of time. Raiders public forum is great but we all now pm each other and text when we know brothers are out on water.

Cmon guys. Let's hear the story or was it a disappointing show?

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Guest no one

593 messages in our group now... It's fun making new friends on the water!

Good on you guys for organising and going! Hope it all went well!

I was out on Saturday, whatever seabreeze and willy weather said for the morning, couldn't be more wrong. Managed to do 10knots the whole way down.

Found our spot in 75-80m of water, 1 snapper on the drift, could see them on the sounder, so we threw out the anchor and floated baits down. Over the next 2 hours we boated 7 snapper between 45 & 55cm.