Trout hoodoo finally broken

FINALLY broke my trout hoodoo on the Motueka river in NZ, since December last year I have not been able to entice one single trout for five months due to really hot temperatures, low level river flows and bloody tourists. Finally we got good rain which has flushed the river out nicely and the drop in temperature really set the breeding hormones in the trout as they are currently smashing everthying in the water and due to the rain heaps of bugs, nymphs etc have been flushed into the river. I have never seen birds working the river.

However it was mothers day and itching to get out in the wild as I have been looking after the kids all weekend. My four year old did not want to sleep on Sunday lunchtime so I said I will take her off your hands for one or two hours, so gum boots on, lure on and both of us were ready for a trout fish, This is my four year olds first trout trip as she has already mastered fishing off the saltwater jetty.

As we got to the river is was still a bit high, which is good and plenty of birds working the water, not seagulls but small white birds with long thin beaks.

My daughter said daddy over here, so I obliged and casted, after five casts bang Im on, shaking due to the long dry spell I played the fish nicely to the edge and then my hands. For the next five minutes my daughter and I were dancing and singing, my hoodoo finally broken and I found my new lucky fishing buddy. After that my daughter pointed to another spot and said there will be fish there. So I tried and on my last cast bang Im on, I pass the rod the daughter and she fights like it a champion, never seen a four year old run down a side of a river so fast trying to catch up to the fish. A couple of minutes later she had her first brown trout. Took me over 30 years to catch my first and took my daughter 40 minutes. Now she is fully hooked and Im a very happy and proud dad.

Both fish were 40cm.

post-19357-0-04395600-1431298144_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-29889100-1431298156_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-62173800-1431298184_thumb.jpg