Clips/snaps to attach lures?

Conor_B

I have never used a clip to attach a lure to my line but when the bite is hard it seems like a quick and easy way to change up my presentation.

Some people say it could effect the action of a lure but they make them with a rounded end so it seems like it would be similar to a loop knot? Im not sure i would use it for anything other than a hard body.

Does anyone use these or have any thought on this subject?

Thanks guys, Conor

There is a risk they might come open on a good fish but I have never had it happen. They are worth it for the convenince. Pay attention to the stated breaking strain. They also have the advantage of giving some lure retrievers something to latch on to.

Thanks for the replys. I have been primarily targeting bass but now the season's closed I will be chasing bream and flatties and trying for eps. 4-6lb braid and similar fluro leader.

Well then, the smaller snap swivels work or you can use spiral decoys. They have no moving parts and act as a loop knot. Basically you can just twist on and off your lure. They come in different lb classes as well. Pretty expensive. I mainly use them when bass fishing from a yak!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks for the replys. I have been primarily targeting bass but now the season's closed I will be chasing bream and flatties and trying for eps. 4-6lb braid and similar fluro leader.

I've given clips a go plenty of times and I keep going back to tying knots. When chasing Bass, Bream, EP, squid and others you tend to get some abrasion near the lure from snags, bushes, rocks or whatever and even wear and tear from caught fish.

If you keep changing lures and never tie a new knot your line will be weakened for sure.

I like to continually tie a new knot with each lure. It's not a perfect system, sometimes it's needed sometimes it not but it's good insurance.

I use a 6-7 turn half blood knot. It's strong and quick to tie.

Ok well I will have to give them a go and see how i go. Never thought of using them before and never hear any bass fishos talking about them but when they are being fussy I think they might be beneficial. Although I'm probably just being lazy. Thanks for your input guys

Norman speed clip for sure, never lost a lure or jig head using one, except from snags anyway.

Find I catch more fish using them, but that's only because I'm more likely to change up lures more often!

Edited by J0nn0

For what it is worth I have given away using swivels and re-tie a knot with each hard body or soft plastic change. Swivels/snaps are convenient, but I worry about loss of action, weakening of the leader, and the swivel opening with the fish of a lifetime. I have also found that there are a lot of swivels of varying quality on the market and some stores only stock the cheaper varieties.

As Roylo stated making a new knot each time isn’t a perfect system, however with practice it is relatively painless. I use the loop knot for hard bodies and a locked blood knot for soft plastics. Both of these are simple and doesn’t take long to master.

I use 4 rods to minimise the need to constantly change lures. (Small HB, small SP, surface popper, and larger SP.) This system also gives greater flexibility when on the water.

i fish for bass a lot in the warmer times, only time i dont like using clips/snaps is some of my surface lures as it can weigh down the front and upset the "bloop bloop" of the action. but if youre using bibbed lures or sp , i reckon its worth a try , good point by cargo05 still need to retie the snaps on some fresh leader every now and then

I use the better quality squid egg snaps - cheaper ones bend too easily and I have had them come undone, but the better quality ones are strong and stay locked. I have not had anything yet that would come down to the snap being an issue - solid flatties don't bother them, and I just like being able to change jig heads or switch to hardbodies.

I use a loop knot on my non-SP rod when I am doing metals or bigger lures, but I don't like consuming my FC leader everytime I cut one off, so my SP rig stays with a snap.

Yeah if I noticed any weakening of the leader I would obviously change that, but it's good to know some people use these to good effect. I have ordered some owner p15 silent snaps so will give them a go when they arrive. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

• 2 years later...

One well known Barra chaser said that he prefers loop knots as he has seen the clips pop open with some

of his clients using them.He thinks that it happens when they bite, or sometimes, the clip might not have been

done up properly. I guess if you are changing lures every few casts then it would be a pain to swap.

Maybe when you chase Barra, you don't change so oftern, of maybe the reason you don't change as often

is that retying the loop knot is a pain!

37 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

There is no loop knot that is as strong as a Half Blood or Uni knot.   Use a split ring. It holds its round shape under tension better than a loop knot as well which is the reason for using a loop knot. 

Are you saying split ring means loop knot is not required