Lake Cathie, laurieton, jewies, bream and flathead

brecko90

Hi everyone,

Went up to play some golf round the mid north coast area on the 27/4/15 and was meant to play for 8 day, and was going to try and sneak some fishing in, well after all the rain we had i only manages 3 rounds of golf, the rest being cancelled and some good fishing in between storms.

I started by taking the yak up the lake, it was on fire with flatties and whiting, flatties on sp's and whiting on yabbies not much size to them for the most part but still fun catching them and letting them go. One night down at the bridge in lake cathie for any of you who know it, i was flicking a 2.5 inch berkly prawn around in a dark green colour and got a couple of nice flatties going 63 and 45 for the table.

After the rain the water colour was a nice brown over at the laurieton break wall and with a solid swell still rolling it i thought i would have a crack at a few jewies around the wash and on the turn of the tide when the 2 water colors meet. After a slow start with nothing the first afternoon on bait, i went and brought a nice big hard body (perpetrator 160) and some berkly nemesis sp's in blue pepper at 6.5inch with the big tail. I threw the perpetrator 160 around finally hooking up to a schoolie about 60 cms which i quickly released, swapped over to the sp and after about 10 casts on a slow retrieve hooked up and landed my 1st jewie going just on 80cm struggled to get it up the break wall as i only had a little net so after getting a bit wet i had her in the net and up the wall, as i had a bit of a crowd i got one nice guy to snap a photo for me with this being my first jewie on plastics something ive wanted to get for a long time. So after a few photos i was back to my ledge, a while went by then i got smashed out of know where bringing up a nice 77cm model, i couldn't get the smile off my face, its such a rush getting that hook up and 1st run on the sp especially as i only had 20 pound braid and 30 pound leader on. By this stage no one else on the break wall had had a hook up so my spot was getting a little crowded, so i called it and went to clean the fish.

I was able to find the jewfish's "jewels" as well which was pretty cool, so its a good way to start off my collection.

The next morning was my last day there so headed back to the wall to try for a few more and to my surprise i hooked up again but was shocked to see a decent bream on the end 6.5 inch soft plastic that was all for the morning session as i went back to where i was staying for a morning jewfish feed and started to back for the drive home.

so all in all it was a pretty good trip, a shame the golf was cancelled but i got a pb bream on sp's and my first jewie on plastics and hard bodies so needless to say im pretty happy.

Here are a few photos of the highlights

post-19790-0-61789100-1431405222_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-42836500-1431407215_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-59327300-1431407234_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-18929800-1431407371_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-49423300-1431407406_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-20268100-1431407446_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-84140700-1431407472_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-37459900-1431407505_thumb.jpgpost-19790-0-17462400-1431407536_thumb.jpg

Great work there. If I'm not mistaken, the photo of your yak is at Cathie? I'm pretty sure that's the same spot I got my PB whiting of 45cm.

Well done on the jewfish. Never got one on a hard body but they can't resist those nemisis.

Awesome :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what are the "jewels"?

The jewel or otolith is ear bone of the jewfish, I'm lead to believe it gives the fish it's balance, and if they didn't have them they couldn't swin, They are found in the top of the vertebrae if you can crack it open.

Great work there. If I'm not mistaken, the photo of your yak is at Cathie? I'm pretty sure that's the same spot I got my PB whiting of 45cm.

Well done on the jewfish. Never got one on a hard body but they can't resist those nemisis.

Awesome :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guilty, I was about half way between the front of the lake and the Perch hole. Such a lovely area

I remember that spot as I was faced with wind, banked myself to re-tie my leader, took me ten minutes, then when cutting the tag I snipped my main line. Grrrrrr. Great spot to yak!

Also the flats on the right hand side as you head up stream are great for sight casting bream. :)

Awesome mate! Fished the area growing up a fair bit it's a great part of the world! Textbook jewies mate right conditions right place, right result!

Love Cathai and Laurie ton need to get back up there more :)

congrats mate. nice flatties and Jews. catching them has to be better than a few rounds of golf[emoji106] have seen some huge jewies pulled in off that brake wall on hard bodies after rain. top catch[emoji476]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk