Fresh v Frozen Pillys

ambrose607

Hi Raiders

Strolling through the local fish market today

I noticed that they sell fresh pilchards they

also sell packaged frozen one's as well.

I want to try some cubes in the Georges next

week. Is there a difference between the two

are the frozen one's brined ? will they stay on

the hook better or are the fresh one's too

mushy. Never used them before so any advice

will be appreciated

Snap frozen pillys are best, they are packaged and frozen minutes after capture and when they de frost theyre pretty fresh. The ones in the market have usually been out for 2-3days and turn to mush

Unless your're using for burley always go fresh if there is an option. Last time in the supermarket they had some so I grabbed a couple of kilo and salted them. Frozen pillie is an acceptable last resort in My opinion.

Fish markets sell food grade produce, Fresh or frozen.

Bait and tackle shops and servos don't sell food grade product.

You can buy them fresh at the markets and salt them, but you pay more.

Pilchards have a soft flesh, and if they go thru frozen thaw, frozen thaw, they become mush.

From the tackle shop In small bag portions the fish should all be separate. It's harder to judge blocks.

I buy frozen and salt them.

Always WA Pilchards, avoid Australian Pilchard labels, they are crappy herring.

Cant find 'fresh' pillies anywhere, i have seen yakkas for sail in bankstown. Where can you get some fresh pillies?

You can catch them in the hacking ;) everytime ive thrown one out live it gets smashed within a few minutes

Many places sell fresh pillie but tbh pillie are not the bee all or end all. There are so many baits.

Frozen pillie may be the easiest purchase for fishing but rarely the best bait.

I take 1/2 DOZ baits on a session ( unless just trolling) mullet. Prawns. Bonito. Squid. Chicken gut. Live bait. Gar fish. Plastics. On and on. All depends on where you are and what your after.

My time is too valuable and I spend roo much money getting out there to sit with a packet of servo pillies.

Hit you fish monger. See what's on offer. Get out and keep throw away fish as bait for next time. Learn salting. Get a van pac.

Lots of options.

Krispy. Share your secret on catching live ones

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Krispy. Share your secret on catching live ones

When you see them pop up on the surface, it looks like little raindrops moving across the surface, cast a tiny metal lure, i mean the smallest one you can find, i use 1.5g but anything upto 7g works ok. Cast into the school and they generally hit the lure, theyre aggressive little buggers. Even retrieving or jigging a bait jig between them works very well at times.

I bring tons of different bait when im out too! chicken breast, thigh, heart, beef, prawns, squid, pillies, anything i can get my hand on. Just found a few salting recipes, so i'm giving them a go! Excited to learn how to find beach worms and such to have a beach sesh in the holidays. :D

Are there any recipes or "How To's" for salting bait in these forums. Tried a search, but came up empty handed. Probably be good to place in the Articles section.

Update: I found the following salting recipes. See how they go.

This recipe below for salting pilchards can be found on the ‘net. The original author was not referenced. I assume this would work best on fresh pilchards, but may also be good for frozen pilchards thawed for the first time.

If any Raiders can modify or improve on this, based on experience, all comments would be welcome.

• Defrost the pilchards and place them between several thick sheets of newspaper to take off the excess water.
  • Spread them out on fresh newspaper again, cover them liberally with coarse swimming pool salt (or cooking salt) and mix it through them thoroughly.
  • After FIFTEEN MINUTES, shake all the excess salt off (not all) then salt and again press them between thick sheets of newspaper to rid them of any more moisture.
  • After THIRTY MINUTES, lay them in the right size/shape zippy bags, add ONE TEASPOON of olive oil to each bag, give them a shake and then put them in the crisper section of the fridge, NOT THE FREEZER!
  • Don't put too many in each bag, just a layer or two at most or a half a dozen per bag.
  • After a week, drain off any accumulated water from the bag and they will last three months and give you a firm, tough and natural looking bait.
  • Apparently if you do exactly the same with blood worms, they will easily for six months.
  • Can be stored in the fridge. Freezing is not necessary.

I also found a great article on salting pilly’s for the 4WD camper. You’ll find it at http://hotbite.com.au/how-to-salt-bait/

Donna, Stewie, could the above be pinned for ready reference?

Edited by GreyNurse

On the issue of bait i guess its what your fishing for, the location and what the fish are eating at that spot.

For me i gave the frozen bait away a few years ago and started salting my bait fresh from the local fish market. Salt is a natural way to preserve food. i have some mullet in brine as i speck no need to freeze and it will be ready when i next go out. No smell until you open it.

I currently use salted sea mullet/ slimy mackerel and have had good results. i always put the frames of the bait i'm using in the burly masher when fishing with these baits. Bonito also make great bait as well sorry for those who eat it.

Any bait fish swimming around where your fishing should be the bait you try and use inc prawns if your lucky to have some in your part of the river system.

When I'm out in the boat i throw a layer of cooking salt over the bait table and this seems to help the bait if you have bought it and its soft, stiffen up and preserve it. i also throw over a old wet tea towel.

Dogbox