50hp making strange noise

martoiscool

Hi raiders,

I have a 2014 Suzuki df50 with around 20hrs on it. The other night when I took it out crabbing I noticed it was making a strange noise. At idle and in the lower revs, it would make a belt slipping/sucking noise from the front of the motor, near where the cowling cover joins the lower half of the motor.

It wasn't all the time, only intermittent and it did it in neutral and whilst in gear. I could get it to go away sometimes when in neutral if I gave it a quick rev, then backed off. But it would come back. Not sure if it does it at higher revs as the sound of the motor kills it out. Also I couldn't get it to do it when on the mufflers, flushing out the motor. Any ideas???

I'm guessing you've had it from new and its still under warrantee?

If so, pop back to your dealer if its convenient for you. As much as

I like fiddling with stuff, if its still new then back to the dealer for me.

I don't have any idea what the issue is either sorry

Yeah still under warranty but not real convenient to head to the dealer. I had it out today running for a good three hours and couldn't get it to make the noise once... Strange..

I'm not that worried, motor still runs fine and did so when making the noise so it couldn't have been anything to major, just curious if anybody else had the same problem.

It was a really cold night when it did it, maybe that had something to do with it, who knows...

• 1 month later...

https://vimeo.com/133922803 I filmed that about a month ago now. It's a bit hard to hear especially with the chop there was at the time but the motor is idling normal and in neutral.

The noise kicks in about 7 seconds into the video. It's like slipping belts on a car. I give it a few revs as this usually makes it disappear. After a few attempts revving it it stops just before the end of the video.

As I said before not convenient to take to dealer due to distance away. Motor still runs fine, does it in neutral and in gear, but not all the time and just pops up randomly.

Does this sound like the solenoid valve?

Since this video I noticed that I wasn't opening up the bleed valve on top of the plastic fuel tank so it wasn't allowing air in and thought maybe it was struggling to suck up the fuel. I doubt it though.

Yeah went in for its service. Everything was fine. As far as I can tell it's a completely random noise, comes and goes when it pleases, cannot replicate it at home on the ear muffs. Might call the dealer and email them a better video next time it does it. It's to far away simply to drive it there and for it to not make the noise!!