Offshore 18-5-2015

Just one long range Kingie, caught it about 35 miles out, just inside Heatons. We trolled from the 12 mile all the way to Heatons. From the shelf onwards we saw schools of Sauries chasing tiny little bait fish about every 20 mins but didn’t see anything smashing them up. Warmest water we found was 22 near Heatons and literally nothing on the sounder from the shelf onwards.

It seemed pretty fishy out there but we only managed to get 2 hits all day. We dropped one fish which I am guessing was a small Dollie and got the Kingie. I don’t really follow the moon cycles but people have told me that the fish go off the bite a bit on a new moon, I think Monday was a new moon.

We got the kingie on one of our Red/Black lures with squid inside and a LED light the head to brighten it up on the overcast day.
http://www.scentblazer.com/Products/tabid/292/ProdID/1154/CatID/126/Red__Black_Squid__Small_Smoker_Head.aspx

Anyway, can’t complain J

post-22587-0-07293000-1432040753_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-87037300-1432040771_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

awesome work!! thats one nice kingy!!!

yeah it was a nice fish, maybe 4-5kg, its the furthest out I've ever caught a Kingy. We did get a small kingy last year about 5 miles east of Browns, we didn't notice it was on and it's eyes were popping out of its head when we brought it in

got a Bluefin about an hour later and we shoved the Kingy in its mouth, along with a smoke :)

post-22587-0-24989800-1432050420_thumb.jpg

hahahahaha man thats an epic picture!!!!! im so stealing that!! hahaha hopefully get a couple more fin in the boat before the new boat arrives!!! :P should be around fairly soon!!

be definitely trying for the tuna on my boat. I know for the last month they have been getting YFT in numbers around Merrimbula, we have sold a few lures down there for the tuna, so Sydney could be any day now with the colder currents moving up the coast pretty quickly now, just gotta get out there and give it a go

yeah should be getting close :D weathers looking nice beginning of next week!!

yeah it does, no go for me, my boat is getting its legs rebuilt, will get it back on Wednesday morning I hope. I got one 2nd hand report that one 40kg YFT was caught last week near Heatons cubing,

Boys

going out Tuesday at this stage. Browns first up then see if we can find some yellowfin. Will let you know how we go.

Johno

Ahh that sucks about the legs Pete!! Good luck out there johno!!

yeah good luck on Tuesday conditions look perfect, be keen to hear how you go

mechanic should get the parts today and hopefully the boat is back on the water Wednesday morning, maybe Thursday or sat looks really good, see how I go with work

water temp is still around 22 wide off Sydney

bum

Today current running at 1.7-2 knots at Browns. Tuna still down Sth none today.

bummer, yeah the water is still pretty warm off Sydney, 21-22 ish from the heads all the way out to heatons and beyond. Just guessing but I'd say there would be the odd big YFT tuna out there for sure, but not in numbers yet, they will probably turn-on once those colder breaks which are down near Bermagui at moment move up to Sydney.

Been starting to setup my tuna lures, might not need them for while, probably got more chance of getting dollies or a marlin in the current water temps off Sydney. But who knows just gotta get out there and give it a go.

post-22587-0-63801400-1432651406_thumb.jpg