Jewfish

fishhed

• 1 month later...

I personally haven't done much jewfishing in the lower hawkesbury. I've found though using locally sourced bait is the way to go. If you are going with baits maybe give live/fresh mullet or herring a go. Can't go wrong with squid either. I've only managed to catch a few small specimens <50cm the times I have tried going back 5years or so so i'm no expert. Much harder now me thinks. Often in the warmer months you will get a lot of the smaller models coming through. Because you're fishing from a yak you can probably afford to fish a lot lighter. Maybe anywhere between 10-20pb mainline to 40pb leader to snelled hooks (2/0 - 6/0 depending on the size of your baits). I tend to fish on the lighter side, just be careful though when you go to set the hooks, your drag is set right I've snapped my line before doing this doh! If you decide to go to a tri swivel, you can make a loop in the line that goes to your sinker it lets you swap out sinker sizes much easier particularly if you are wanting to change to a lot of different spots with the tide.

Hope that helps

Joe