Quick trip offshore - 26/05/15

Mithras

Hi All.

Did a quick run out yesterday as the conditions seemed favourable.

Launched from Botany and tried to stock up on livebait with no success. As we headed out the bay, the sounder was so thick with bait that in 80 meters of water the sounder was telling me I was in 8 meters. The sounder could not penetrate the baitfish.

We had gannets and Salvin's albatrosses everywhere, diving all around us for hundreds of meters, but there were no bust ups and no big concentration of bait. We trolled all around and got nothing. We did enjoy finding a few dolphins, and watching the gannets speardiving for the bait.

We headed out past the Fad, and all the lines went off. The Dollies were thick and we managed to put in half a dozen legal models into the esky for a feed. You could see massive schools of Dollies under the boat and FAD, and the water temp was 23.9 degrees. Not what I was expecting when the SST charts told me 21 Degrees but happy that I could put a few of one of my favourite eating fish into the bag.

The wind kept us from going any further out then 25 to 30km, so we trolled north and then back in to the heads, picking up a few Mac Tuna just before the heads.

I was lucky enough to win some lures from the Monthly ScentBlazer competition, and made sure I got these out all day. Filled them up with squid.

Tested out my outriggers on my boat and they went well, and the lures that were doing the damage was the Nano Chugger in Pink Mackeral, and Mini Scoop Slant Head in REd/Black squid.

Photos to come (forgot the SD card)

That's unreal 23.9!!!!, yeah the charts are showing 21-22.

Well done, its not like you are gonna catch a marlin or big tuna everytime you head out. I'm stoked to get a few legal dollies any day of week even if that's all we get all day.

Which fad did you get them on?

South Sydney Fad.

Was really weird, went to clean a dollie when I got home and one of them had flesh like soup. you could make a cut behind the head and squeeze out his meat like he was a roll of toothpaste.

Has anyone every seen this? I've been told its a parasite or worm that causes this.

South Sydney Fad.

Was really weird, went to clean a dollie when I got home and one of them had flesh like soup. you could make a cut behind the head and squeeze out his meat like he was a roll of toothpaste.

Has anyone every seen this? I've been told its a parasite or worm that causes this.

I had this last year aswell had a couple auctually!! Never figured out what it was!!