Gamers - any out there?

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Was interested to find out that the Swordies are keen gamers. Diablo I think is their poison.

As my profile says my handle comes from the online gaming name I adopted when the internet was invented! (Yes, I am old!).

I am interested to know if there are any other gamers out there in the Raider community and if so, what are you playing?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim I'm really old school have PS1 and 2 chipped. Love the arcade shooting games with the peddle. Time Crisis, Gunfighter, Point Blank, Vampire Nights etc . Have a collection of about 12 different guns some with arcade peddles.

Guest no one

I grew up on video games as it was bonding time with my father, doom, quake, command and conquer... Then I Played Warcraft for 7 years until I decided to call it a day. Was a leader of a European raid force which was a server leading on Horde side, getting all major boss server firsts in Vanilla and the start of TBC. Still have the old YouTube vids with ventrilo cranking in the background to hear our joy at smashing ragnaros for the first time.

Also used to smash CoD when I was younger and my reactions were better.

On top of that I still play FIFA at a very competitive level.

Mostly these days I'm confined to Hearthstone on my mobile as my laptops purely work, I do own an Xbox one which I get a few hours of GTA V or Fifa on now and again.

Looking forward to Bloodbowl on the XBone. Used to love that as a kid.

Guest no one

Currently playing command and conque generals again :P

American laser general? Stick it on hard in skirmish mode and build a hug wall of lasers, then smash them with aurora bombers! Great fun, one of the best games of that generation!

Thank you for the new shoes! I love that line!!

Old Old days: Congo on the first ever production PC - Tandy 1000

Old days: Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, Counter Strike

Oldish days consoles: Atari, Commodore 64, Nintendo, Sega Master system, Neo Geo

Sort of recent: WOW for 7 years in top rating guild as MT, Star Craft 2

Recent: Hearth Stone, Clash of Clans, Street Fighter 2 Zero (have my own arcade machine)

Yes lots of closet gamers around. My family always played cards and board games so it was a natural progression to get into PC and online games.

Before children I had a whole room devoted to computers and game consoles.

My sister and I would start playing Friday and finish Sunday night sometimes. Here are some of the memories!

We had a console (a Dick Smith one I think) that had a big cassette - T circus loading, T circus loading, T circus loading went across the screen for what seemed like hours till we got the ping pong game or circus up. Once I entered all this "code" over a day and my sis and I screamed with delight when my name flashed across the screen.

Later we progressed to real PC's and had to learn dos. I still have an exercise book in my archives with all the commands written down. It was real fun fiddling around with autoexec.bat and config.sys! We started off with some PC games that took forever because you had to type in the commands to get anything happening and you had to use the exact wording eg: USE the gun, OPEN the door, WALK to the path blah blah. If you didn't use the right word your character would just stay there and the game did not progress. Eventually more space was needed so I became expert at installing more RAM and bigger drives. A lot of these games were pre Windows and the mouse. We only had keyboards to interact with anything. There were no clues except game books that you could buy but they were very expensive.

Then came Windows. I remember a friend and I stood in a line overnight to get the first copies. The mouse the colour and graphics opened up a new world. Internet changed the whole thing. We started to interact with others in far away places on message services like ICQ and msn messenger.

The best PC games were the Sierra ones. Who can forget Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, Gold Rush, The Colonels Bequest, Hero's Quest, Conquests of Camelot, Quest for Glory, Ecoquest, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, The Castle of Dr Brain, The Dagger of Amon Ra, and on and on.

There was another very expensive one that offered players a large sum of money if they solved it. Of course we ran out and bought it but it was very hard and almost unsolvable (someone will remember the name?). Prince of Persia, Carmen Sandiego, and Myst were others.

Nintendo was the next thing. Fantastic game playing. Donkey Kong and getting to 103% with all the hidden specials was the best accomplishment :)

Game and Watch hand helds, Super Nintendo, Nintendo DS, Xbox, Playstation, PS1,2,3,4 and WII. Guitar Hero - we even had FR moderator nights a few years back and we used the band, guitars, drum kit, microphones etc

For many years swordie and I were Tournament Directors (TD) and captain of cribbage card teams and we managed online games and players.

My two daughters of course are also avid gamers ;)

Nowadays Stewy and I are happy to get into a few local co-op games and Diablo is perfect for that. We have steering wheels and stuff for the car games too. One must have the home theatre sound system to get all the sound effects. There are other raiders that play, I know Dalucius (Lyn) will post in this thread too :)

Thanks for the memories fragmeister and yes we are old too :)

I haven't found time to play games since unreal tournament.

My first games was guess the dice roll on a Sinclair zx80 which took me hours to type in basic.

I did the usual castle frankienstien. doom. Max pain.

But where do you people find time to do any of that stuff these days with jobs. Kids. Dogs and fishing???????

Oh and Donna. I still use DOS daily :)

Edited by NaClH2OK9

I haven't found time to play games since unreal tournament.

My first games was guess the dice roll on a Sinclair zx80 which took me hours to type in basic.

I did the usual castle frankienstien. doom. Max pain.

But where do you people find time to do any of that stuff these days with jobs. Kids. Dogs and fishing???????

Oh and Donna. I still use DOS daily :)

"C:/DOS C:/DOS/RUN RUN/DOS/RUN

I started on Telesports in the 70s. All the games were PONG versions.

I remember those games that took ages to load off cassette tape. Like asteroids.

Currently HAWX and COD.

The hackers are taking the fun out of Call Of Duty.

Ahhh... that all brings back memories.

I must admit Doom was the one that had the biggest impact on me especially when those 3D cards came out.

I spent endless hours in Doom level editors making custom textures and complete games packages for my mates.

Of course the command and conquer series was also pretty engaging.

Now I quite like the open world crafting/ survival games you find on steam.

Great way to spend a few hours ( if you can get the time that is)

Cheers

Jim

"C:/DOS C:/DOS/RUN RUN/DOS/RUN

I started on Telesports in the 70s. All the games were PONG versions.

I remember those games that took ages to load off cassette tape. Like asteroids.

Currently HAWX and COD.

The hackers are taking the fun out of Call Of Duty.

oh yes! I remember that.

I used to work as an apprentice at Kriesler Electronics who were the first TV manufacturer to introduce games into their TV's

24 games like pong, worms, memory and a very rudimentary tetris

Many a lunch break was spent trying to beat the top score.

Hey... and what about Galaga? Do you remember that one!

Hi Donna,

Autoexec.bat and config.sys LOL! I'd almost forgotten about that.

What a pain that was reconfiguring those so it would run a new program hungry for all the memory it could get or incompatible with your sound card.

They were the days (Not!)

Cheers

Jim

Jim. I always imagined your handle was due to you growing coral!!

LOL, no mate.

As you may well know Frags are kills in Doom/Quake

Before doom it was Wolfenstein so there is the german connection.

So Frags are kills

Meister is German for Champion

Fragmeister = Kill Champion

'nuff said ( points for spotting the Doom reference)

Edited by fragmeister

Always been a gamer, started off with spending early school holidays with my dad at work, he was in IT and rigged me up a crappy pc with quake and doom on it, pretty much downhill from there haha. Played counterstrike and war craft 3 heavily, heavily into diablo 2 then fell down the world of war craft rabbit hole. Many fun memories of playing with mates, and good mates made. Always seem to go back for a bit whenever a new expansion comes out.

Got into battlefield pretty strong too, and Diablo 3 was my poison for a while as well.

Recently got an Xbox one with the mrs and been having a ball going through the Master Chief edition, also with many memories of playing with mates.

These days....fishing has taken over my free time haha.

Does 5 dragons and king of the Nile count? Haven't mastered them but spent a shit load trying too! :)

Never could Crack Where's the Gold....and more chilli still gives me grief [emoji14]

oh yes! I remember that.

I used to work as an apprentice at Kriesler Electronics who were the first TV manufacturer to introduce games into their TV's

24 games like pong, worms, memory and a very rudimentary tetris

Many a lunch break was spent trying to beat the top score.

Hey... and what about Galaga? Do you remember that one!

Galaga and Phoenix were personal favourites.

I found Galaga on in flight entertainment a couple of years ago.

Can't remember the carrier, couldn't sleep, but smashed it.