Gamers - any out there?

fragmeister

5.5k, about the same cost as my tinnie lol

I managed to convince the missus, as these machines are not a depreciating asset.

I have a street fighter arcade I purchased over 10 years ago for around $300, pretty sure its worth around the 1k mark now.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

What a great pinnie. I worked for a short while at an establishment that imported them and other family entertainment machines. Parts are relatively cheap, but you should know that. The main thing is the maintenance. Oh, and of course, playing them!

Talking about pinball machines, I've been looking for pinball games to run on Windows 7. Plenty of emulators, but the best PC pinball game was Balls of Steel, I reckon. The only problem was that it was written in 1995 and support for it stopped in 1998. And, like many PC pinball games of that era, doesn't like to run on a 64 bit OS. Pinball games weren't easy to gain acceptance because the physical attributes of the real thing was hard to transpose to software. But a few companies managed it.

And Stewy and Donna, had anyone mentioned Rise of The Triad? I'm currently playing the 2013 release. Not bad. They've managed to keep the same quality of gameplay and the graphics are now brought up to date.

Talking about pinball machines, I've been looking for pinball games to run on Windows 7. Plenty of emulators, but the best PC pinball game was Balls of Steel, I reckon. The only problem was that it was written in 1995 and support for it stopped in 1998. And, like many PC pinball games of that era, doesn't like to run on a 64 bit OS. Pinball games weren't easy to gain acceptance because the physical attributes of the real thing was hard to transpose to software. But a few companies managed it.

And Stewy and Donna, had anyone mentioned Rise of The Triad? I'm currently playing the 2013 release. Not bad. They've managed to keep the same quality of gameplay and the graphics are now brought up to date.

I don't believe they have Nursie

• 4 years later...

Proud owner of 2 ZX Spectrums here.

Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Half-Life during school/uni days.

Then DIRT on G27 wheel etc after 10-12 hour office work "shifts".

Most recently only multiplayer tanks on a mobile on a couch.

Fishing is a better choice.

• Like 1

Ah the days of playing the original Quake, loved that game, especially the really simple map, I think it was called "House of Chithon" or something like that, we had our own Quake server setup and a few computers to play each other, my screen name was "nasty Noel" 

• Like 1

I don't think you were ever a kid if you didn't annoy the hell out of your mum for 20c so you could go down to the corner shop & either play the pinnie or the table space invaders, galaxian, pacman, astoroids, frogger(reminds me of a Seinfeld episode😁), donkey kong, moon patrol...……………………..the list goes on & on.

I wouldn't stop playing until my name was on the top of the points list.

Hang on I just spent all my pocket money to :blink: 😂

Then comes the Atari, Nintendo game boy, 64, xbox, PS.

Now its PS4 pro.

Once a gamer, always a gamer I recon 🤘

Ah the memory that games bring back. I played PACMAN when it first came out. I wasn't very good at it so that sort of started and ended my relationship with "Games". Quite happy being an old fart and a philistine. Whatever floats ur boat, I reckon. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

its cheap enough to build an arcade cab these days, theres plans, use MDF, maker anything from a bartop to a full standing one, theres plenty pre loaded game boards as well from arcade stuff, anything from 99 to 999 games loaded. Buy the joysticks, buttons, power supplies, all available online and fairly straight forward to put together.

Theres a Australian group on Facebook, Retro arcade builders, that have a deal going with a chinese supplier, and guys there will cut up a cabinet or pass you plans to do your own. Use LCD tv as screen, even get a line generator (crt screen display look) if you wish to make it look more authentic on screen, and off you go.

Oh my that looks insane @motiondave next level stuff

My first computer was a Commodore 64, had lots of games, then moved up to an Amiga, with a "huge" 5mb (I think) hard drive, couldn't believe anyone could possibly need that much storage, I think I had the memory upgrade too, a big 500K maybe? Seems so long ago, but after working in high level IT for near on 25 years I have seen some remarkable changes take place.

Guest Guest123456789

Wasted my youth on gaming (console and arcade). Nintendo PlayStation Xbox owned them all. 6 months into relationship with now wife she threw my Xbox out. Haven’t played since. That was 10 years ago.

a lot more knowledge these days about the negative effects on gaming. Main one is it affects your ability to focus in an academic environment. Pages in a book and a blackboard/whiteboard not enough stimuli to keep a gamer interested (lacks the sounds and images of a game). My son would be a gaming addict like me and I want him to get good grades (unlike me).

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Wasted my youth on gaming (console and arcade). Nintendo PlayStation Xbox owned them all. 6 months into relationship with now wife she threw my Xbox out. Haven’t played since. That was 10 years ago.

a lot more knowledge these days about the negative effects on gaming. Main one is it affects your ability to focus in an academic environment. Pages in a book and a blackboard/whiteboard not enough stimuli to keep a gamer interested (lacks the sounds and images of a game). My son would be a gaming addict like me and I want him to get good grades (unlike me).

Addiction can be bad yes. My interest in gaming and computers in my early teens led me down some great paths. I played all platforms and most games. 

I am a registered nurse as many know. Very early on I was fascinated in how the health sciences could meet with the computer sciences. I started to introduce computers into facilities that I worked at and managed. I wrote some templates for nursing care plans that I sold to other organisations. I was one of the pioneers of computerised medical/clinical records!!

I ended up with a CHIA (Certified Health Informatician Australasia) credential and one of the first RN in Australia and I was in my 50’s! I worked with software developers to ensure that clinical workflows were correct, implemented large scale and trained staff to use. 

Now retired I am still on Exec National committees. We put on an annual conference and we mentor clinicians to deal with digitisation of hospitals and use of My Health Record (very important make sure you have one). 

Enter fishraider somewhere in there. Probably my worst addiction heh heh. Picture me at high level healthcare meetings sitting around boardroom tables with groups of men, many who were younger. Suddenly as an icebreaker someone talks about the weekend and I talk about taking the boat out and “oh look at this fish I caught”. I throw a few fishraider cards on the table and they all want to talk to me!! The knowledge was useful ;)

Online communities are fantastic for people with health issues. I have found many raiders who are isolated and struggling with mental health issues feel very comfortable and love reading other raiders experiences. 

My daughter is a secondary school teacher in UK. She is using completely different educational delivery models than we ever imagined. 

My long winded post was to show that if you get past an addiction scenario it can be used to take you into great careers and life experiences. It is the age of technology!

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, noelm said:

My first computer was a Commodore 64, had lots of games, then moved up to an Amiga, with a "huge" 5mb (I think) hard drive, couldn't believe anyone could possibly need that much storage, I think I had the memory upgrade too, a big 500K maybe? Seems so long ago, but after working in high level IT for near on 25 years I have seen some remarkable changes take place.

We had a commodore 128d, you could start it in 64 mode by holding down a button otherwise the other mode was office stuff.

My favorite game was test drive, drive from point to point and out running the cops, the other favorite was a zombie game where you had to shot the zombies and jump over stuff.

Paperboy was also fun

The joy of loading a game

Load"$8"

"Testdrive"

Run

Run