Gamers - any out there?

fragmeister

Guest no one

Haha config.sys to change the graphics for games to run. Man that was a long time ago! 20 years in fact as it was for FIFA 95 on the PC!

What a great read so far! Donna, your post pretty well covered it all. I had no idea you were such a hopeless romantic.

As for me, I started off as most did. At the local arcade or bowling alley with the 20c table and cabinet games. Too many to mention here. Suffice to say, I never top scored for long and I put plenty of coins through the slot.

I progressed from there to an Atari 2600 console. The only cartridge worth loading was Space Shuttle. A mate had an Atari computer and we played Golf and Battle Zone. I actually have a Battle Zone mouse pad on the desk as I type, would you believe.

Then the PC came along and I found Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein, but to name a few DOS games. (I still run a DOS emulator and load F19 Stealth Fighter, my guilty little secret.) As processor power and memory became more available so did the graphics and complexity. I fell in love with first person shooters.

I had just started in the service dept. at Dick Smiths when I was given a copy of Doom on 3.5" floppies. Floppy copies were all the rage back then, and breaking the security on them was not rocket science. We used to stay back after work in Computer Support and play Quake Arena and Urban Terror V1.0. Stand alone games like Geoff Hammonds F1GP just got better with each release. So good was the last version that even the F1 drivers used it as a sim before taking their cars out on the track. Duke Nukem 3d was great also

Fast forward to today and I find myself still playing Diablo II and the Chaos Empire mod, as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstien. And you know what? I've never actually bought any of the games I've played on PC. I tried going on line playing Urban Terror for a while. I kept getting my ass fragged, but I met some interesting people from Europe and the States during that time and still keep in touch with them. None of them fish, though. How sad..

And of course Windows games have improved and while I've grown a bit weary of Minefield and Solitaire, Mahjong takes their place nicely.

I've never been one for consoles after the Atari, but my kids took to Play Stations and Nintendos, as kids did in the late 90's. I've probably forgotten more games than I remember, but that's OK. The occasional trip down memory lane puts a smile on my dial. Thanks for kicking this off, Fragmeister

What a great read so far! Donna, your post pretty well covered it all. I had no idea you were such a hopeless romantic.

As for me, I started off as most did. At the local arcade or bowling alley with the 20c table and cabinet games. Too many to mention here. Suffice to say, I never top scored for long and I put plenty of coins through the slot.

I progressed from there to an Atari 2600 console. The only cartridge worth loading was Space Shuttle. A mate had an Atari computer and we played Golf and Battle Zone. I actually have a Battle Zone mouse pad on the desk as I type, would you believe.

Then the PC came along and I found Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein, but to name a few DOS games. (I still run a DOS emulator and load F19 Stealth Fighter, my guilty little secret.) As processor power and memory became more available so did the graphics and complexity. I fell in love with first person shooters.

I had just started in the service dept. at Dick Smiths when I was given a copy of Doom on 3.5" floppies. Floppy copies were all the rage back then, and breaking the security on them was not rocket science. We used to stay back after work in Computer Support and play Quake Arena and Urban Terror V1.0. Stand alone games like Geoff Hammonds F1GP just got better with each release. So good was the last version that even the F1 drivers used it as a sim before taking their cars out on the track. Duke Nukem 3d was great also

Fast forward to today and I find myself still playing Diablo II and the Chaos Empire mod, as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstien. And you know what? I've never actually bought any of the games I've played on PC. I tried going on line playing Urban Terror for a while. I kept getting my ass fragged, but I met some interesting people from Europe and the States during that time and still keep in touch with them. None of them fish, though. How sad..

And of course Windows games have improved and while I've grown a bit weary of Minefield and Solitaire, Mahjong takes their place nicely.

I've never been one for consoles after the Atari, but my kids took to Play Stations and Nintendos, as kids did in the late 90's. I've probably forgotten more games than I remember, but that's OK. The occasional trip down memory lane puts a smile on my dial. Thanks for kicking this off, Fragmeister

Ahhhh the memories Nursie and somewhere in amongst all that we managed to become RN's and save real lives heh heh. I actually bought my first PC from a patient's relative who was in an IT role in the defence force and got me a "good price". Lots of hours wasted playing games yes.

Has it helped anyone in their lives or careers? I used it all the way through in many ways and last year I became Australia's first registered nurse to gain a new credential in Health Informatics (CHIA). Health Informatics is where the health sciences meet the computer sciences. Specifically I am a Nurse Informatician and analyse clinical workflow to get desired outcomes for patients. Love working with software developers and suggesting how workflows should go, it is a bit like playing games :)

Of course now I use my knowledge to run the control panel of fishraider! I enjoy the challenges that gives me too really.

So fragmeister what is a good game to play these days? Perhaps the younger members will have some ideas?

And Ed yes that is exactly what we used to do didn't we. As Jim says we spent a lot of time reconfiguring things to get more memory (don't forget the TSR's).

Yes. Very familiar with the references Mr Kill Champion

Just with this being a piscatorial site I imagined an aquatic reference. A frag is a small piece of coral generally used for propagation in an aquarium...

What was I thinking????

Why am I now reliving all those damn IRQ errors!!

So fragmeister what is a good game to play these days? Perhaps the younger members will have some ideas?

Well that all depends on your preferences.

Personally, I like survival/ world building games. Minecraft was all the rage in my house as the violence was minimal and the focus was on building.

I played endless amounts of that with the kids.

We still play occasionally but my two youngest are now 15 (boy) and 12) Girl. He plays FIFA and and DayZ which is a kind of Zombie Apocalypse survival game.

I mostly play early release open world / drafting survival games on Steam which are generally cheap ($19.99) trials that are effectively Beta versions. This is a way of developers getting some money to continue developing new concept

games. They are often frustratingly buggy but because a vast community of what constitutes beta testers are continually providing feedback they tent to fix these pretty quickly.

There is a raft of games out there in this genre but the better ones on steam include 7 Days to Die ( for Zombie Lovers) Reign of Kings ( for Medievil Survivalists) Rust and , a few promising ones called Rising World, the Forest and Beasts of Prey. There are other out there that I am still investigating.

Probably the most anticipated new game ( very good marketing) is a game called Ark Survival Evolved. Its an open world, crafting survival cooperative clan based word full of dinosaurs.

Check the in game promo video below. Yes, this is what the game is like but the first release two days ago was plagued with issues, mainly because of the number of people downloading it and trying to access the online servers.

I tested it on the single player version and man is it hungry for system resources.

I am lucky in someways because in my business (software development) I have very high end PC's but on 4k resolution with the all the graphics bells and whistles turned on frame rates in this beta game are too low to play.

Guest no one

Donna – To answer your question: Have they ever helped anyone with their lives or careers?

From my personal experience:

I moved out of home at 16, never went to college or university, worked in dead end jobs. Along came online games, from these in the early Black Hawk Down online days I learnt how to communicate with adults (this is pre call of duty xbox kids culture), we had voice servers where we’d have in depth structure and responsibilities for our clans. For a year I watched and learnt and I always had the ambition to grow and have more of a leading role in it.

Along came World Of Warcraft – as soon as I first logged on I was in love, what a magical experience it was… I made my own guild, had 65 members and many more wanting to join. Managing them all was hard so I learnt to delegate. During the Wipe night runs where we would die 30+ times in one night while trying to kill one boss, wipe nights were frustrating because we they were learning nights where we didn’t expect to win but we expected to get closer and closer. If one person out of the 40 we ran with failed at their job, everyone died. It was a challenge to motivate, listen to 40 different opinions and visualise the end goal.

For 3 years we smashed through content, constantly having battles with real life commitments and managing 65 ego’s and their real life issues. During this time Id be logged on for 9-12 hours a day, addiction wasn’t the word… I lost 15kg in weight and was pretty much a 6’5” bag of bones. In the 3rd year we hit a speed bump, we couldn’t compete with the other top guilds, I was losing members and the new guys just weren’t up to the job. I went through a break up, I watched families fall apart from people who id grown to love, mothers neglecting their kids to play, husbands neglecting their wives who subsequently left them. My own story was one which I really need to write a book about, it was an amazing journey but one that took major tolls on my own life at times. I then left the empire I built and signed up for the top guild in the country, no longer playing with the family we had but with complete randoms. It was great seeing the content my guys couldn’t reach but at the same time there was no satisfaction – I went from a Dragon Slaying leader to basically another pawn in an army… it made me fall out of love with the game. 3 months on I was pretty inactive, I was down… id basically lost my friends, people who we spent a week with in Copenhagen for a guild meet up. Looking at their next meet up pics which I wasn’t part of killed me. I moved back to try and repair the damage I had done but the council decision was not to let me back in due to they wanted to lead and knew I couldn’t come back and sit on the sides.

Although the story of addiction, personal harm through malnutrition and the financial hardship I put on myself I still look back at this as a massive stepping stone in my career and life! I learnt how to manage 65 people at one time, learnt how to direct in stressful situations, how to manage people one to one and group to group, how to be compassionate and most of all – the grass is never greener. I took these skills into a Planning trade where 6 years ago I started at the bottom. In 6 years I am now the Head of Planning for Australia’s most successful and most profitable menswear retailer. I use the skills I learnt in Warcraft every day. So while all my mates went to College and Uni and I was the waster sat playing games I was learning too. Now im at the top of my game at 30 years old and my friends while are successful too, still have $100,000 education loans to pay off.

So to answer your question Donna – have game’s ever helped anyone in their career and life? Yes… I wouldn’t be anywhere close to where I am today without 7 years in total of killing dragons. I mahy not be a real warrior who carries a big axe, but I am a warrior who has to battle daily to ensure young Australian men look good!

Hi Jim I'm really old school have PS1 and 2 chipped. Love the arcade shooting games with the peddle. Time Crisis, Gunfighter, Point Blank, Vampire Nights etc . Have a collection of about 12 different guns some with arcade peddles.

You think that is old school do you??

post-2301-0-22442900-1433378803_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-31802100-1433378810_thumb.jpg

Who recognises this?

American Ninja was the best thing on this! Only problem, well if your family had to drag you out for the day, you couldn't really hit pause or start where you took off. You had to start again. Sometimes I would just leave it on all day so I don't lose the stage I was up to!

post-2301-0-04686300-1433378976_thumb.jpg

Edited by locodave

Ed thanks for sharing that with us. There is that downside to gaming isn't it.

Addiction to anything is destructive. We have to do everything in moderation and that is the key!

locodave oh my THAT is some collection man. Yes we used to leave our games on pause for days too and I remember someone accidentally kicked the console of Super Nintendo game and sent it back to zero percent progress.

Who recognises this?

American Ninja was the best thing on this! Only problem, well if your family had to drag you out for the day, you couldn't really hit pause or start where you took off. You had to start again. Sometimes I would just leave it on all day so I don't lose the stage I was up to!

Sure do, locodave ...Commodore 64 with a tape drive. Woo Hoo!

I remember typing the entire star trek game written in basic... took me two weeks to type and debug.

Got a Floppy drive eventually - hi tech and very costly for the time.

Edited by fragmeister

Lol. I remember upgrading to the c64 after the vic20 after Sinclair zx81. After the Sinclair zx80

1k of Ram in those days and nasty membrane keyboards.

I remember my Gran saying "the silly cone chip will be the future"

Interesting story Ed.

I can relate to the addiction. But interestingly, most people I see who are at the top of their game have addictive personalities at least to some degree. Addictive personalities are often perfectionists, they want to be as good as they can be, don't like failure, they don't give up and they tend to view adversity as part of what made them what they are.

Seems to me you're probably in that category.

It has its down side of course and in my case I think what saved me a little was my age when computers came in. I was 32 when I bought a Commodore 64 from the US the week it was released. I had two young children and some pretty significant commitments. My wife worked nights so I had plenty of time to perfect my gaming skills after I put the kids to bed but there were some solid barriers to me getting in too deep. Had I been younger and single without significant commitments then it would have been another story.

Certainly my wife saw me as an addict. She even caught the bug with the Kings Quest series!

No harm done.. it taught me a lot about computers and was the springboard to starting my own software business.

Its all good .... (now where are those 18 install floppies for Kings Quest 3? I'm going to kick that Minotaur's ass!)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

You think that is old school do you??

Just saw that collection Dave,

That's a cracker... I take my hat off to you but I think maybe you should join the TOCGA (Tragic Outdated Console Gamers Anonymous)

LOL ... only kidding mate ! that is a visual feast of memorabilia ... LOVE IT!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

What a great topic. I played Commodore 64, Rags to Riches. It was a frustrating game because there was no save facility and therefore to make progress required sessions of many hours without any hope of starting again where you left off. I found it addictive but my wife hated the music (the theme in the first movement of Mozart's Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Viola in E flat major.) I had hoped that there would be a modern version of this game, but I have never come across one.

What a great topic. I played Commodore 64, Rags to Riches. It was a frustrating game because there was no save facility and therefore to make progress required sessions of many hours without any hope of starting again where you left off. I found it addictive but my wife hated the music (the theme in the first movement of Mozart's Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Viola in E flat major.) I had hoped that there would be a modern version of this game, but I have never come across one.

Auto save.... God's gift to gamers!

Edited by fragmeister

Nice idea for a thread!

As a kid video games were always a novelty for us- something we only got to play round my cousins' house til my aunt persuaded my mum to buy my brother and I a Mega Drive. Favourite games have always been Fifa, Final Fantasy, then later the Left4Dead series on the Xbox 360.

Guest no one

Auto save.... God's gift to gamers!

No - auto save ruined the fun! Was it return to castle wolf that you were only allowed 5 saves per level. It made you think, be cautious and strategise instead of today's just run in blindly and die.

I loved the limited manual saves!

Just saw that collection Dave,

That's a cracker... I take my hat off to you but I think maybe you should join the TOCGA (Tragic Outdated Console Gamers Anonymous)

LOL ... only kidding mate ! that is a visual feast of memorabilia ... LOVE IT!

Cheers

Jim

Just for clarity the big collection is from 16bitghost from Texas

Edited by NaClH2OK9