Gamers - any out there?

fragmeister

No - auto save ruined the fun! Was it return to castle wolf that you were only allowed 5 saves per level. It made you think, be cautious and strategise instead of today's just run in blindly and die.

I loved the limited manual saves!

I get your point. I liked the limited auto saves because I was too impatient to do it manually!

I best thing that happened to gaming was skipping cut-scenes.

Metal gear solid was the bloody worst. 20 minute cut scene before a boss fight... Get smashed by the boss because you fell asleep during the part where they mentioned how to kill the boss.... Restart before 20 minute cut scene.

Otherwise the game was badass, I miss being a cardboard box.

I best thing that happened to gaming was skipping cut-scenes.

Metal gear solid was the bloody worst. 20 minute cut scene before a boss fight... Get smashed by the boss because you fell asleep during the part where they mentioned how to kill the boss.... Restart before 20 minute cut scene.

Otherwise the game was badass, I miss being a cardboard box.

Cut scenes! Yes they could be frustrating.

There certainly a few frustrating things in games ( and there still are).

I remember some of the early Kings Quest games where you had to click EXACTLY on some obscure part of something or other before it would give you the right option to proceed.

I remember later my kids getting stuck at some part of some combat or platform game that was beyond them and without the benefit of weeks of in game training I had to try and get it past that level for them.

Now that I think of it its probably helping the kids that probably made me appreciate the auto-save feature in games.

Cheers

Jim

All this talk of games fueled a little Quake session last night.

I installed Quake on a server PC I have at home and ran a network game server and launched a little one on one game with

my 15 year old son.

It all came flooding back to me and my experience was more than a match for his quick reflexes... at first.

He quickly learned where all the spawn points were where all the resources and level ups were. He soon saw me drop grenades at spawn points and choke points on the way for opportunistic kills

or jump straight on to a teleporter after him for a "teleporter kill".

He mastered the rail gun after a while and that was where he evened things up... all that quickscoping practice in COD almost instantly made him a master of that most deadly of quake weapons.

When he saw me perform a rocket launcher jump I could hear the WTF! from his bedroom downstairs. ( He only says the WT bit!) LOL

After dozens of unsuccessful tries he eventually figured out the careful combination of aim down & jump and "do not try this without armour and an health power up" that is required.

After a solid session I introduced him to the "Quake done Quick) single player challenge where the task is to finish each level as quickly as possible.

This can only be achieved by running flat out, only shooting enemies you have to and rocket jumping up from 1 level to the next to bypass locked doors.

The record for completing the entire game on Normal Level is less that 12 minutes. Hard to believe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_done_Quick

We just did the first few levels and had a ball trying to beat each others attempts.

A lot of fun was had last night... "that's an awesome game" said my 15 year old.

"nuff said" said his dad.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Guest no one

They have those machines in a bar in Cronulla, go there often and ignore my wife for an hour while she's eating

Guest no one

I used to write levels for the old game called Fishsim, is 20 years old now. Don't even know if it still works!

Hi, my name is Lyn and I'm a gamer.

Well not a serious gamer, I just like to chill out and have fun.

My first console was the old pong game back in the 70's followed by various Atari consoles, commodore 64, Amiga, Nintendo 64, Playstation, NDS, 3D NDS, PC and iPad (not necessarily in that order).

Back in the 80s we had educational and arcade games for our kids and I use to volunteer at their school teaching the kids and teachers how to use them. One game I remember was Where in the World is Carmen Sandigo?

I won my 1st PS2 in a competition and one of my favourite games were Bass fishing and Guitar Hero.

Thanks to my competitive son in law Mark I got a little addicted to guitar hero.

Graduated to PS3, I was never keen on 'shoot 'em up' games but when I was on 'bed rest' one time and had exhausted my dvd collection Mark gave me Black Ops and said 'Just try it. I'm sure you will like it'. Well almost every night we played it online for a year or two. Since then we have been at the midnight release every year to get our copy and play till we dropped. It was funny online when Mark's mates joined our team and he explained I was his 50+ year old mother in law. They thought it was cool that we did that together and complained their Mums never played. I would even beat them sometimes

We still think Black Ops 2 was the best one.

The last couple of years we haven't played very often as he became a dad and my eyes get very sore so I don't enjoy it as much (I'm getting too old for this stuff). We've only had a few games in the last couple of months. Hackers and cheats have made it no so enjoyable.

Other games Mark and I enjoy are Zelda and Destiny.

My husband Geoff and daughter Amy are not gamers but occasionally we play Wii games together.

I got PS4 last Christmas totally disappointed with the changes they have made to it. Can't play 3D blue ray, won't play music or movies off usb stick, not user friendly like PS3 and you have to pay to play online.

Mark has a great collection of consoles and games he won't part with. Some of them are very hard to find these days.

Now I Like to play apps on the iPad.

I'd much rather be out fishing than playing.

Edited by Dalucius

This thread sure brings back some memories.

I think I started on the same ping pong game as Donna when I was a kid.

That progressed to the original stand up Space Invader machines back in 77-78,

& of course, pinball machines.

So many games since then. All the old arcade classics. Then ps1 & 2, Xbox's, Wii,

& PC games. all good fun.

Faves probable need for speed, Tiger Woods golf, any thing fishing of course, Prince of Persia, all

the Halo's, Call of Duty & so on. Just too many to speak of.

In saying that I never spent hours & hours playing. Only when I was sick & stuck at home.

I've turned full circle now. When the wife left I turned one of the biggest rooms into a man cave, as you do.

The pinball is in there, an old 10c pokie machine & my pride & joy. It's an original Taito stand up Space Invader machine. It even has

Japanese instructions on it. I've attached a few pics for the oldies like me to enjoy. I'm sure they will bring

back plenty of memories.

My kids, in fact most kids, struggle to play these. The controls are slow & they only fire one bullet at a time.

You can't fire another bullet until the one you have shot hits something or is off the screen.

37 years since I first played it & still love it!

Cheers,

Grant.

post-639-0-05115000-1434093424_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-33900100-1434093478_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jewhunter

Yep, you bet I knew it would fit!

It reminds me of sneaking under the fence of the Drummoyne scout hall,

nicking an armful of empty bottles & racing up to the local milkbar to cash

them in for a couple of 20c pieces. Then on the bike & down to Birkenhead Point

when it first opened. The record store there had the only machine within cooee.

Back then you could actually fish off the marina there. Boy did we used to clean up!!

Birkenhead Pt was also the site of the Sydney fishing museum & also the original maritime musuem.

No wonder I spent all my spare time there....

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Grant,

Now you've got reminiscing!

The Milkbar! LOL

I accidentally said that to one of my teenagers a few weeks ago and they thought it was the funniest think they ever heard!

They figured it must be like a pub when milkmaids served milk from the tap to young folk on bar stools.

I used to raise money for the arcade machines by collecting golf balls and welling them to the golfers. We got a dollar for a good ball and it was easy to get

$20 bucks in balls on a Monday morning before school.

And The snooker room! Lots of my misspent youths stuff there Ambrose. The full size tables really improved the pub pool skills though!

In my day, those snooker rooms had the Bally machines where you had to line the balls up in a sequence of holes and you could win real money if you did. Never really took my fancy but

some guys sat on them for hours.

Cheers

Jim

Hi, my name is Lyn and I'm a gamer.

Well not a serious gamer, I just like to chill out and have fun.

My first console was the old pong game back in the 70's followed by various Atari consoles, commodore 64, Amiga, Nintendo 64, Playstation, NDS, 3D NDS, PC and iPad (not necessarily in that order).

Back in the 80s we had educational and arcade games for our kids and I use to volunteer at their school teaching the kids and teachers how to use them. One game I remember was Where in the World is Carmen Sandigo?

I won my 1st PS2 in a competition and one of my favourite games were Bass fishing and Guitar Hero.

Thanks to my competitive son in law Mark I got a little addicted to guitar hero.

Graduated to PS3, I was never keen on 'shoot 'em up' games but when I was on 'bed rest' one time and had exhausted my dvd collection Mark gave me Black Ops and said 'Just try it. I'm sure you will like it'. Well almost every night we played it online for a year or two. Since then we have been at the midnight release every year to get our copy and play till we dropped. It was funny online when Mark's mates joined our team and he explained I was his 50+ year old mother in law. They thought it was cool that we did that together and complained their Mums never played. I would even beat them sometimes

We still think Black Ops 2 was the best one.

The last couple of years we haven't played very often as he became a dad and my eyes get very sore so I don't enjoy it as much (I'm getting too old for this stuff). We've only had a few games in the last couple of months. Hackers and cheats have made it no so enjoyable.

Other games Mark and I enjoy are Zelda and Destiny.

My husband Geoff and daughter Amy are not gamers but occasionally we play Wii games together.

I got PS4 last Christmas totally disappointed with the changes they have made to it. Can't play 3D blue ray, won't play music or movies off usb stick, not user friendly like PS3 and you have to pay to play online.

Mark has a great collection of consoles and games he won't part with. Some of them are very hard to find these days.

Now I Like to play apps on the iPad.

I'd much rather be out fishing than playing.

Hi Lyn,

I love Guitar Heros, I got so addicted to it, that I went out and bought a real electric guitar and amp, thinking I could produce the same music. I paid for 10 lessons, went to the first lesson and gave up after that lol everyone laughs when I tell them that story!

Hi Lyn,

I love Guitar Heros, I got so addicted to it, that I went out and bought a real electric guitar and amp, thinking I could produce the same music. I paid for 10 lessons, went to the first lesson and gave up after that lol everyone laughs when I tell them that story!

Haha.

'If something is hard, it means its not worth doing' ... Homer Simpson.

Edited by Ryder

Wow! Just stumbled on this post and had a great read of everyone's experiences. I never knew about Donna's gaming background but then I can see how it goes well with running the Fishraider Forum. Congrats on the RN/IT thing too Donna. Thanks too for tef1on's personal story on how gaming has helped him professionally.

As a father of two teenage boys into their gaming, it helps me keep things in perspective when I see them spend 'too much time' on their games instead of their studies. In fact I enjoy watching them play Destiny on the XBox console and marvel at the rich graphics of the current games. I see them play with virtual 'friends' from all over the world and see also how easily 'friends' can be easily added or dropped from their 'friends' list and wonder if its a good or a bad thing.

In any case, I know the future is going to be quite different for them. I'm now helping them with their first PC build as they want to make the leap into the PC gaming arena ...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks Pete I can't believe your boys are that "old". I remember meeting them when they were so young at our socials. Glad they will always have those fishraider memories when they are older.

I just saw an article on TV about how robots will take over millions of jobs. It will be important for all young people to be on the edge of all this technology so they can get the jobs that we have not even thought of yet. They will need to know about how it all works and the history of how PC's were built and how it all evolved. Their time with gaming is helping in some ways.

Technology is used in healthcare in many ways now and all clinicians have to know how to engage with it. My youngest daughter is just finishing a Ba Nursing and I marvel at the submission of the assignments/essays. It is done electronically online via a portal and it is checked and rated for any plagiarism. If over a certain percentage it is rejected. She also tells me about placements in various public hospitals and community environments that use electronic clinical records (my area of interest of course). She now prefers this one to that one. She was horrified to go to one placement and write on paper records!

This thread has been very interesting so far - thanks Jim for posting it up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add. When I was 11, I went to Peru. Mother's background. Being a poor country not many kids could afford Nintendo's, so what they had there was basically a room full of Nintendo's for hire. So similar to an internet cafe, just full of Nintendo's and kids playing.