fragmeister

Gamers - any out there?

Wasted my youth on gaming (console and arcade). Nintendo PlayStation Xbox owned them all. 6 months into relationship with now wife she threw my Xbox out. Haven’t played since. That was 10 years ago.

a lot more knowledge these days about the negative effects on gaming. Main one is it affects your ability to focus in an academic environment. Pages in a book and a blackboard/whiteboard not enough stimuli to keep a gamer interested (lacks the sounds and images of a game). My son would be a gaming addict like me and I want him to get good grades (unlike me).

On 6/3/2015 at 8:55 PM, spaners said:

I play online chess,does that count.

Me too

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Wasted my youth on gaming (console and arcade). Nintendo PlayStation Xbox owned them all. 6 months into relationship with now wife she threw my Xbox out. Haven’t played since. That was 10 years ago.

a lot more knowledge these days about the negative effects on gaming. Main one is it affects your ability to focus in an academic environment. Pages in a book and a blackboard/whiteboard not enough stimuli to keep a gamer interested (lacks the sounds and images of a game). My son would be a gaming addict like me and I want him to get good grades (unlike me).

Addiction can be bad yes. My interest in gaming and computers in my early teens led me down some great paths. I played all platforms and most games. 

I am a registered nurse as many know. Very early on I was fascinated in how the health sciences could meet with the computer sciences. I started to introduce computers into facilities that I worked at and managed. I wrote some templates for nursing care plans that I sold to other organisations. I was one of the pioneers of computerised medical/clinical records!!

I ended up with a CHIA (Certified Health Informatician Australasia) credential and one of the first RN in Australia and I was in my 50’s! I worked with software developers to ensure that clinical workflows were correct, implemented large scale and trained staff to use. 

Now retired I am still on Exec National committees. We put on an annual conference and we mentor clinicians to deal with digitisation of hospitals and use of My Health Record (very important make sure you have one). 

Enter fishraider somewhere in there. Probably my worst addiction heh heh. Picture me at high level healthcare meetings sitting around boardroom tables with groups of men, many who were younger. Suddenly as an icebreaker someone talks about the weekend and I talk about taking the boat out and “oh look at this fish I caught”. I throw a few fishraider cards on the table and they all want to talk to me!! The knowledge was useful ;)

Online communities are fantastic for people with health issues. I have found many raiders who are isolated and struggling with mental health issues feel very comfortable and love reading other raiders experiences. 

My daughter is a secondary school teacher in UK. She is using completely different educational delivery models than we ever imagined. 

My long winded post was to show that if you get past an addiction scenario it can be used to take you into great careers and life experiences. It is the age of technology!

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, noelm said:

My first computer was a Commodore 64, had lots of games, then moved up to an Amiga, with a "huge" 5mb (I think) hard drive, couldn't believe anyone could possibly need that much storage, I think I had the memory upgrade too, a big 500K maybe? Seems so long ago, but after working in high level IT for near on 25 years I have seen some remarkable changes take place.

We had a commodore 128d, you could start it in 64 mode by holding down a button otherwise the other mode was office stuff.

My favorite game was test drive, drive from point to point and out running the cops, the other favorite was a zombie game where you had to shot the zombies and jump over stuff.

Paperboy was also fun

The joy of loading a game

Load"$8"

"Testdrive"

Run

Run

I hope this dose not get deleted but here it goes, if your on PS4 you can add me if you like.

FullTimeBaldKint

I once completed an epic game on the Amiga, several discs, I think it was called "the secret of monkey island" took ages to finish it, and another one "Rick Dangerous" it was a simple platform game kind of like Indiana Jones in a way.

Just fossicking around seeing if I can find any Quake servers alive and kicking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noelm said:

Just fossicking around seeing if I can find any Quake servers alive and kicking.

I vaguely remember a program that allowed you to independently host your own PC as a server

https://www.gameranger.com/

Then it's a matter of finding other players. Not sure how the program works. I had a look at it a few years back for setting up a Dirt2 server.

See if that works , then advertise yourself on anti social media and get something going.

EDIT. It's not much cost to hire a server these days and remote access it. 

Double EDIT. Have you done a search for quake servers? 

• Like 1

Yeah, I found a few original Quake servers still running, no one playing though, might just mess around and see if someone turns up, Quake was very good in its day, there was about 5 of us that worked together and played regularly, one guy was fantastic, in the end it was us 4 against him, but he still beat us most of the time, the graphics were good considering the gear available.

• Like 1

hey everyone, what a great thread, bought back some fantastic memories, was great to read about others gaming experiences

i started my gaming back in early 80's with a hand held "futuretronics" pacman game. i played that game till i killed the little joystick, got it repaired once and played it untill i killed it again, loved it

my sister had the galaxy invaders 1000 hand held game and my wife still has one of these that works, kids still play it every now and then.

i had nintendo "game and watch" donkey kong and donkey kong II

my mate had a intellivision console and another mate had the old commodore 64 with the 5" floppy disc drive( i think it was 5" , long time ago)

i progressed to nintendo entertainment system (1989) (NES) with  super mario and duck hunt with the nintendo zapper, various other games and this console only just died 2019. ive had the super nintendo, the 64, a PS2, PS3 and PS4. at present, i like the open world games like the GTA series, Fallout 4, Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2, and many others.

• Like 1

I'm back playing Dragon Age. Only 10 year old game.

My wife bought a arcade style gaming console online just before Christmas that runs an emulator and has over 2000 games on. We spent hours playing Tekken, Street Fighter, Ridge Racer, Galaga, Galaxian and heaps more. Had a lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

My wife bought a arcade style gaming console online just before Christmas that runs an emulator and has over 2000 games on. We spent hours playing Tekken, Street Fighter, Ridge Racer, Galaga, Galaxian and heaps more. Had a lot of fun!

ooooooo what is that one Baz?

25 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

ooooooo what is that one Baz?

I believe it’s called Pandora’s Box. It came up in her feed on Facebook but you can find it on EBay. I just searched for “arcade game console”. It plugs straight into the tv via HDMI cable. It’s a lot of fun.

ACB670DC-C525-4C90-AAC3-803F4D8AE87B.jpeg

6676FC0F-ECF1-4ED8-AD81-1B2AB3B0020E.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts