Future report syd harbour Sunday 14

mikei000

Hey fishos, heading out Sydney harbour tomorrow (with report to come) looking for our first kingie! Been chasing them for way too long now and I reckon the hoodoo has gotta be broken soon. I have fresh caught squid frozen last week and plenty of lures and micro jigs. Was thinking of attacking either north head or making a move south and trolling/casting all the cliff edges and around. If anyone has some helpfull tips it would be much appreciated and would definitely make for some good reading for yourselves tomorrow! A monster kingie would be a bonus but I'd be just as happy with a rat. Cheers raiders- mick

Hi Mike I'm no expert on kings but one thing I can tell you is that I find baiting/casting a lot more effective for kings. Ie. don't allocate too much time for trolling if your target species is kings.

Just a tip :)

Ah cool, I've tried a lot of trawling and only ever seen them follow the bait never hooked on thanks

Yeah same here I anticipate the catch of a 15 kg LBG soon I reckon I'll go the 29/06/2015, I'll drop a few lines when it's done ;):)

Ok I was only joking it's actually a funny "report" that demonstrates how pump you are, loving it!

For starters, you are trying to break the drought at the worst possible time of the year, not quite, July and August will be worst :) Yep, winter sucks when you're fishing near the shore. It doesn't mean there are no fish, but plenty plenty less.

Segundo: frozen squid >>>>> NO NO NO Once again, that doesn't mean you won't catch one but your chances are 90% inferior using a frozen, especially if you fishing near shore.

Better of keeping 5 days in the fridge than freezing. After 5 days, it really starts to be shit but from 1 to 4 days, top.

Hope that helps for next time, kingfish offshore, any clown can do, they would eat a sinker with a hook, kingfish near shore requires a lot more skills, kingfish from shore is THE challenge.

Good luck for next time, I'd wait to score the fish before writing report, there are a lot more fails than wins at that game ;)

So as promised here is the report! Got out to the ramp before light and headed out just as the sun was coming up. Headed straight for the wedding cakes, after a few rebaits going missing and minimal hits we changed approach and threw out some soft plastics which just got demolished post-34714-14342744183215_thumb.jpg ( I'm guessing leather jackets?) We decided to stop waisting bait and headed out to south head and anchored up. After half an hour and only a piddily wrasse we thought we would try the artificial reef. As we got to the reef and threw our lines down the weather man lied to us and the wind picked up. It only took one wave to almost come over the front (bow rider) and we called it quits for the calmer waters in the harbour.

At that point we just wanted to catch a couple of fish so we thought we would chase some flatties. First cast and whack felt a pretty good weight and then the line started peeling off my 14lb light rod. With a good fight under the belt landed a just shy of 50 dusky which I was stoked with which we also called dinner. post-34714-14342750971711_thumb.jpg ( the hair proves it was a bit windy) With a few other flatties caught but not much worth mentioning we tried some other spots and then called it a day. Cooked up some beer batter and had a awesome feed with some squid caught last week post-34714-14342751808882_thumb.jpgpost-34714-14342751906523_thumb.jpgpost-34714-14342752038901_thumb.jpg.. Gave the dog some too and she wouldn't leave me alone after that post-34714-14342752272429_thumb.jpg. Anyway not too much too report but hope it was something worth reading, always good to be out there. Cheers mick