Landing a fish on a Yak

DeanFish

Gents,

New to yak fishing and need a tip.

What do you do with your catch when you get it into the yak? If your 200m from shore and 5 mins into your session and catch one where do you put it? I had to paddle in to shore when I got my second one today. Was a 55cm flatty and carried on (as they do) once In the yak.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest 4myson

A while back i saw an Decent size esky mounted behind the seat . This yak had everything on it including a electric motor for trolling .The only thing it had missing was a set of outriggers !!!

Thanks gents,

I have been running with the small esky behind but have found it awkward getting the catch in (lost one in the motion) and also limited to a fish of about 50cm.

Keeper net it is.

Cheers guys

Only issue with keeper nets could be sharks.

Google precision pak kayak catch bags. Stick in an ice brick, dispatch and bleed the fish on capture and stick it in there. Depending on your hull shape you can have it above or below deck and either bow or stern.

Marty

post-1576-0-42887000-1434332780_thumb.jpg

Some sort of catch bag would be my choice. As Witha has done, use a dry bag if you have one. You could it them with a couple or four wine cask bladders, and with an ice brick, keep your catch nice and cool. Don't use regular ice, though, if your gonna use ice. Use salted ice for saltwater fish, otherwise you may as well let the sharks have them.

There are some fish bags especially made for kayaks. They mounts to the front of the yak and are made of insulated material so you can put ice in there and keep your catch for longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk