In search of tuna

Went out wide yesterday. Temp break & water temp was positive but unfortunately no tuna for us or the other boat out wide with us. Still the odd fish being caught but no numbers yet. Reports off the longliners further south are very good for fish off Sydney over the next 2 weeks

Cheers

Damo

Heard that a few BF were caught and tagged wide 60 odd miles yesterday & the odd YF. There are a few fish down south off Bermi being caught by rec anglers. It will be interesting to see how much further the cooler water moves this week. I would still be heading south at this point 1500 -2000 off the gong. When you planning to head out?

Cheers

Damo

Hi guys, we headed out yesterday , travelled a little over 100kms out and trolled for hours, then cubed between heatons and browns, unfortunatly we didn't turn a reel.

But that's just fishing I guess.

As damo said, there are plenty of fish in close down south bermi and nowra, my guess is the fish should be thick within 3-4 weeks

Good luck to all who get out there, there is definatly fish out there, just not as thick as we'd like them to be

Hi guys,

A few consistent reports of bluefin 75k's south east of Bermi, and yellowfin in 1000 fathoms off Tuross over the last few days, so they are not far away from hitting Sydney. Good luck.........

Dave

If it's not too complicated a question for a newbie like myself, what makes "good" altimetry scent blazer? I feel like I'm starting to understand currents, water temps / breaks etc, but altimetry is new to me... Always interested in learning more if you have time to explain or steer my in the right direction! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altimetry in marine terms is the measure of the height of water to a fixed point eg a satellite.

Altimetry=Alltitude planes have altimeters to see how high or low they are flying.

Also relates to the measure of high and low pressure. Which is why it helps in fishing.

As in the atmosphere our weather is determined by high or low pressure systems, the same occurs in the oceans we have high and low pressure eddies.

Altimetry measures the heights of these in cm. Highs are upwellings lows are downwellings. High bring nutrient rich water to surface low does opposite. All you need to know is the best fishing is between these highs and lows on their edges. Think thats right lol. I may stand corrected.

If it's not too complicated a question for a newbie like myself, what makes "good" altimetry scent blazer? I feel like I'm starting to understand currents, water temps / breaks etc, but altimetry is new to me... Always interested in learning more if you have time to explain or steer my in the right direction! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altimetry in marine terms is the measure of the height of water to a fixed point eg a satellite.

Altimetry=Alltitude planes have altimeters to see how high or low they are flying.

Also relates to the measure of high and low pressure. Which is why it helps in fishing.

As in the atmosphere our weather is determined by high or low pressure systems, the same occurs in the oceans we have high and low pressure eddies.

Altimetry measures the heights of these in cm. Highs are upwellings lows are downwellings. High bring nutrient rich water to surface low does opposite. All you need to know is the best fishing is between these highs and lows on their edges. Think thats right lol. I may stand corrected.

the way I think of it it's like water running out of the bathtub, in middle of the eddy the water is lower and around the edges its higher, the ocean has heaps of large eddies, where there is a low eddy there has be high eddy next to it because the water has to go somewhere

so where the low eddy transitions into the high eddy is where all the nutrients wash up and that we the food chain starts, krill -> bait fish -> pelagics

in the middle of the high zones are sometimes dead zones because all nutrients are washed out and into the transition and low zones

you often find, current break, temp break and good altimetry are in the same area, normally the altimetry transitions are associated with the current and temp breaks

http://www.ripcharts.com/tutorialAltimetryVideo.aspx

ripcharts has a pretty good tutorial and fishrack has a good one as well

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures