Sat 13/6/2015 - how did everyone go?

Got out there with a couple of raiders on Saturday. Trolled past the 12 Mile fads for nothing, then fast trolled towards Browns at 12 knots. Just west of Browns we found some sauries scattering on the surface, looked like they were being chased by something.

Decided to have a bottom bash at Browns for a change, did 2 drops, lost 3 rigs and only managed to pull up 2 smallish Gemmies. I am gonna run the sinkers on 30lb on about 4 metres of leader next time, so when we get snagged we don't lose everything. Any tips?

Spent the arvo trolling around the back of Browns and west of it, we hooked 5 stripies.in total, hoping for YFT in amongst them but no such luck, still anytime you get strikes it's always exciting, you never know what's gonna be on the end it. Water temp was around 21.2 around the shelf and around 20.2. around Browns.

Did anyone do any good?

Peter

post-22587-0-80585900-1434271824_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-88197100-1434271841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

I went out Friday night, got to Browns for a bottom drop but the current was doing a couple of knots so kept going wide, got to the 1000 fathom line NE of browns and started cubing. Squid everywhere out there behind the boat then just as it started to get light got a hit but dropped it, then half an hour later an alby, then another then noting. Dragged lures all the way out to heatons and all we got was stripies. We ended up chucking them back we were getting got so many we got sick of catching them. Did 230klms round trip unless my sounder is out the temp was 19 degrees where we got the albies and 19.5 at heatons but apart from that nothing but thats fishing maybe another week possibly 2 there out there but just a touch to wide atm, back out the first chance i get tho.

I went out Friday night, got to Browns for a bottom drop but the current was doing a couple of knots so kept going wide, got to the 1000 fathom line NE of browns and started cubing. Squid everywhere out there behind the boat then just as it started to get light got a hit but dropped it, then half an hour later an alby, then another then noting. Dragged lures all the way out to heatons and all we got was stripies. We ended up chucking them back we were getting got so many we got sick of catching them. Did 230klms round trip unless my sounder is out the temp was 19 degrees where we got the albies and 19.5 at heatons but apart from that nothing but thats fishing maybe another week possibly 2 there out there but just a touch to wide atm, back out the first chance i get tho

mate that's a long trip, bet you where totally buggered by the time you got back, we left at 7am and got back at 7pm and I was stuffed, so I can only imagine

did you catch the squid or just see them? We didn't push that wide maybe 5NM east of Browns, we got 5 stripped tuna out there in a couple of hours, so if you were getting them all way back from Heaton's there literally must be tonnes of them around, There would have to be other types of tuna amongst them, might just run bigger lures from now to keep the stripped tuna off them.

good to hear you got some Albacore out wide, in that case I'm going to start pushing out towards Heaton's on everyone of my trips now (weather permitting). The other tuna types can't be far off then, we have caught Albacore and Yellow and Bluefin on the same day, they all hang out together, must be close now.

You wouldnt believe I didn't have a squid jig on the boat other wise i would have caught stacks of them, the stripies were hiting even 8 inch lures. I should have stayed where i got the albies but wanted to try get close to that break behind heatons.

Anyway thats fishing and that's what drives you, next trip will produce, hope the weathers kind this year thats the biggest factor.

You wouldnt believe I didn't have a squid jig on the boat other wise i would have caught stacks of them, the stripies were hiting even 8 inch lures. I should have stayed where i got the albies but wanted to try get close to that break behind heatons.

Anyway thats fishing and that's what drives you, next trip will produce, hope the weathers kind this year thats the biggest factor

its always the way, I want to try an all nighter pretty soon, i'll remember to take my squid jigs

yeah one of the stripies took one of our 8" lures as well, I'd say there are stacks out there, there must other types of tuna amongst them, I'm gonna run bigger lures next time

I was out on Saturday, on Browns around 9am. 4 drifts for 3 blue eye - more than enough for a feed so ran home at about 10:30. - did not hear any reports and knew the fin were to far out so didn't bother sticking around for a troll.

A slow trip back in to Sydney though. The swell although small was short and sharp.

Peter,

I run 60lb break away - around 4 meters. I find the trick is to watch the depth and ensure you do not have to much line out.

IE north of the mountain we start at 430 meters and it comes upto ~380m. So we make adjustments to the amount of line out while we are drifting. Helps minimise snags.I run 80lb mainline so I do not get to much of a belly in the line.

Ben

post-7600-0-17412600-1434331431_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-10801300-1434331441_thumb.jpg

post-7600-0-50648400-1434331449_thumb.jpg

I was out on Saturday, on Browns around 9am. 4 drifts for 3 blue eye - more than enough for a feed so ran home at about 10:30. - did not hear any reports and knew the fin were to far out so didn't bother sticking around for a troll.

A slow trip back in to Sydney though. The swell although small was short and sharp.

Peter,

I run 60lb break away - around 4 meters. I find the trick is to watch the depth and ensure you do not have to much line out.

IE north of the mountain we start at 430 meters and it comes upto ~380m. So we make adjustments to the amount of line out while we are drifting. Helps minimise snags.I run 80lb mainline so I do not get to much of a belly in the line.

Ben

they are nice fish

that's what I was gonna try, about 3-4m on 30lb or 50LB to the sinker, also I was using those big thick circles, I am gonna use a slightly smaller size and a thinner gauge, did 3 drops actually on one of the drops we didn't loose the gear but 3 hooks came up empty and on the other hooks the baits were half eaten with no fish, a long way to get picked off

we use the same reels as you, the diawas with 80lb, they are pretty good for a smaller reel, its got just enough line got for browns

thanks for the intel,

Tuna out wide, I have got a confirmed report now that 5 BFT (100kg each) and one YFT was caught about 80nm out. I'll try to get the facebook link.

Still a long way out, I don' have the range to do a 80nm trip there and back, plus if the wind came up I'd be punching it back at 10knots, take 8hrs, F THAT !!!!!!!! :)

Tuna out wide, I have got a confirmed report now that 5 BFT (100kg each) and one YFT was caught about 80nm out. I'll try to get the facebook link.

Still a long way out, I don' have the range to do a 80nm trip there and back, plus if the wind came up I'd be punching it back at 10knots, take 8hrs, F THAT !!!!!!!! :)

I'd be keen if we got 3 or 4 boats together lol

Thanks madracket.. My unit is a lowrance hds7 touch gen2. I don't think it supports chirp :(

Think I'll have to get a 1kw.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated !

Edited by VViCKiD

Do you know if they where taken by longlines or recs ?

Do you know if they where taken by longlines or recs ?

recs, 80nm out on a 40 footer. 40 plus boat with a couple of big diesels 80nm would not be such a stretch, it would do 30knt so it would take around 2.5hrs running to get there. Burn a lot of fuel though.

Heatons is the range I am comfortable with my current boat, Go Heatons :)

post-22587-0-71471500-1434431500_thumb.jpg

I'd be keen if we got 3 or 4 boats together lol

do you mean we head out 80miles with a group of 3-4 to boats. that's actually a good idea, make it lot safer and cover more ground. like tuna cowboys :)

I still wouldn't have the range, I'll have to wait until they come in a bit closer, I could probably push 60nm out but that would be pulling up at Heaton's and trolling from there onwards, I need to go slow down to conserve fuel I'd burn too much at 20knts plus.

Cheers mate !

recs, 80nm out on a 40 footer. 40 plus boat with a couple of big diesels 80nm would not be such a stretch, it would do 30knt so it would take around 2.5hrs running to get there. Burn a lot of fuel though.

Heatons is the range I am comfortable with my current boat, Go Heatons :)

do you mean we head out 80miles with a group of 3-4 to boats. that's actually a good idea, make it lot safer and cover more ground. like tuna cowboys :)

I still wouldn't have the range, I'll have to wait until they come in a bit closer, I could probably push 60nm out but that would be pulling up at Heaton's and trolling from there onwards, I need to go slow down to conserve fuel I'd burn too much at 20knts plus.

Yes, thats what i was suggesting, however realisticaly the weather would have to be perfect to cover such distance in reasonable time and to make the voyage safe. By the time such a window comes about hopefully the water has pushed closer yet and its not such a stretch. Come on tuna!