fitzroy falls reservoir

jordy

Hi all used to fish the above and pull a few trout but havent been there for 6 years just wondering if there is anyone with some mail on wether its still worth fishing or have the carp taken over,need a trout fishing fix in a hurry.

Thanks jimmy72 checking google maps now as never fished the Dilly before.

you want to go down wombeyan caves road and fish downstream of goodmans ford, but as 'l-a' said you need a bit of fresh to get them to move out the dam and up into the river. but i was under the advice it needed to be 0.6 steady or falling and anything more was a bit dirty and hard to fish... i could be wrong though. its up around 0.47 - 0.48 for last 4 days, so need a little downpour, a dark/ no moon and cold weather help too i think.

nice part of the world down there especially when the rainbows are running hard, but its been a while since i cracked it, but thats cause i dont get out as much these days - good luck keep us posted on your adventures

grant

Edited by jimmy72

I could be wrong too I was always told 0.9 and falling at jooriland measuring station head down about two three days after it peaks and is on the drop should see fish I have not caught fish there since pee drought and really don't hear much from the dilly these days

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fish the dam in past years and had been quite successfull, but haven't tried it for a few years and went out on Friday for 6 hours and have never seen the dam so dead .

Water levels were high which meant the water was quite shallow from the shore line. Didn't see a single baitfish in the water, which was a common sight when I fished in the past , nor a single rise from a trout. Used every lure I had, hard bodies, tassie devils, celtas, even tried vibes and soft plastics and also had power bait out for not a single hit or touch on the power bait nor lures .

Don't invision returning anytime soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I fished there up until 4-5 years ago and could normally pull a decent Bass (up to 42/43cm) but always had to work for it. Rattling Jackal type lures seemed to work best. Every now and then managed a rainbow (typically 40cm and healthy) but they were very few and far between. The consistent size of the fish and tough fishing had me thinking that the water probably wasn't well stocked - so the fish that were in it did well. Those fish have probably had their day and I doubt there would be any natural recruitment (certainly not for the Bass and unlikely for the trout looking at the quality of the small feeder streams). Best to check with fisheries and the local club to see if there has been any stocking in the last 5 years. There are several highlands streams to fish for trout (other than the Wollondilly) but you need to do the work to find them. That's half the fun so I wont spoil it for you by sharing those spots ;).

• 2 years later...
On 26/08/2015 at 1:22 PM, kyuss said:

I fished there up until 4-5 years ago and could normally pull a decent Bass (up to 42/43cm) but always had to work for it. Rattling Jackal type lures seemed to work best. Every now and then managed a rainbow (typically 40cm and healthy) but they were very few and far between. The consistent size of the fish and tough fishing had me thinking that the water probably wasn't well stocked - so the fish that were in it did well. Those fish have probably had their day and I doubt there would be any natural recruitment (certainly not for the Bass and unlikely for the trout looking at the quality of the small feeder streams). Best to check with fisheries and the local club to see if there has been any stocking in the last 5 years. There are several highlands streams to fish for trout (other than the Wollondilly) but you need to do the work to find them. That's half the fun so I wont spoil it for you by sharing those spots ;).

When you say highlands what area are you refering to mate ?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, New Signing said:

I stopped in there about 3 weeks ago to give the baby a bottle and read a few of the signs. Appears you arent supposed to fish it without approval from some obscure fishing club on the out skirts of sydney. Anyone know anymore about that?

From memory, there are designated areas to fish from shore. Non powered boat fishing is permitted for registered members of that fishing club, who pay an appropriate contribution, I believe.

• 3 months later...
On 9 December 2017 at 11:15 PM, kyuss said:

Southern Highlands - so roughly the area bordered by (the plateau above) Kangaroo Valley, Bundanoon,  Wombeyan Caves, Robertson.

Ok I'm only new to fly fishing for trout and I have done a fair bit of searching for decent waters around Robertson and kangaroo valley especially as I suspected these would be my closest trout streams to my home in Ulladulla , but I have never seen a fish or even a rise in these areas . If you have decent knowledge of the area do you care to message me a stream or two where I might see some action. It's hard trying to learn fly fishing for trout when the closest waters you know are 4 hours away in the snowies !! Cheers

I would give Fitzroy  Falls a miss as I've fished it occasionally since they built it and never caught a thing.   Salty trout, the Mongarlowe River would be the closest decent water . You can check out Bill James guide books  however many of the waters that held trout twenty years ago are barren of fish these days

16 hours ago, cfish said:

I would give Fitzroy  Falls a miss as I've fished it occasionally since they built it and never caught a thing.   Salty trout, the Mongarlowe River would be the closest decent water . You can check out Bill James guide books  however many of the waters that held trout twenty years ago are barren of fish these days

Thanks for the help but mongarlowe suffered beyond return a few years back and only has a small number of fish at its join to the  shoalhaven river. Not really a fishery unfortunately for the area  and myself