Wally's Wharf Dolans Bay - Construction?

SCOTTYB

Hi Raiders,

My brother and I were thinking of trying for some squid off the wharf, although he mentioned that he thought there was some sort of works being carried out on the boat ramp, or the wharf itself.

Wondering if any raiders have been there recently, and can confirm what the status of the boat ramp and wharf are?

Don't want to hike out and find there is no access, or the area has been churned/dredged due to construction.

Cheers,

I haven't been down there for a couple of weeks, but when last there, there didn't seem to be any work being done. I looked up w.w.w. to see what was scheduled by way of works and the only thing I could find was the possible installation of a public sewage pump-out facility. That's what Gagafush may be eluding to.

Most of the squidding is done "after hours", if you like. It can get pretty busy some nights, especially when the long polers turn up to catch yellowtail for bait, so between 5 and 7pm should be a good time to turn up. They're all a pretty good bunch though, and will make as much room as they can for you. Just be nice and don't muscle in.

Having said all that, the squidding ain't what it used to be at Wally's since they built the pontoon. Mainly because they did away with the street light that used to be at the end of the wharf. You can still catch them, but you have to work hard.

Thanks GreyNurse - we made it over there last night. We did catch one large squid, while a couple of others were doing great pulling in slimy mackerel. No sign of any work either, so must have been completed. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...