Why you should always wear your sunnies

nutsaboutfishing

G'day Raiders,

Just wanted to let you know why you should always be wearing your sunnies outdoors, even if the sun doesn't bother you.

If you're not bothered by the sun, it is still damaging your eyes. Conditions such as pterygium, cataract and macula degeneration are all in part made worse by the sun. The later two are caused by long term sun exposure, so the effect won't show until you're older. As an optometrist I see these conditions every day. Wearing sunnies doesn't mean you won't ever get them, but research shows there's less chance and it won't be as severe

Another reason is physical protection, if a fish spits a hook under tension, flying fish hooks and eyes definitely don't mix.

Also as most of you probably know polarised sunglasses allow us to see beneath the water surface allowing us to see structure and sometimes fish.

When buying sunglasses, the don't have to be expensive to offer good protection. As long as the swing tag says they're Category 2 or 3 (the Australian standards) they should offer sufficient protection. The difference is Cat 2 offer medium sunglare reduction and Cat 3 offer high sunglare reduction. Most sunglasses sold are Cat 3

I wouldn't wear sunnies without these classifications outside has they may be doing more damage to you eyes than not wearing them. Reason is just coz a sunglass is dark doesn't mean it is blocking out UV radiation. This is the radiation that does most damage to the eyes. If you wear sunglasses without UV block , your eye's pupil enlarges (coz it's darker) thereby allowing more UV light in.

The lenses are generally made from plastic, polycarbonate or glass. Plastic lenses are the cheapest. Polycarb are the most impact resistant and lightest, but are also the easiest to scratch. Glass lenses are the most scratch resistant, but are heavier and can smash if dropped.

thanks for reading (if you made it this far)

richard

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I used to buy BlackIce Polarized and UV400 sunglasses from the souvenir shop in Nelson Bay. Cheap one's that don't have a frame on the side and at the bottom of the lens, because I want extra wide view. Unfortunately they don't have them anymore and I've run out of stock. Anyone who knows where to get them, could you please PM me where ( Region Sudney - North )

• 9 months later...

Macular degeneration is the thing to really worry about, and everyone should have some idea of the symptoms. Cataracts can be fixed in 10 mins nowadays which is good, but you wait a year to get them fixed unless you want to pay. Much easier to wear the sunnies, prevention is better than cure!

• Like 1

On the question of whether we should wear sunglasses - it looks like the "eyes" have it!

But seriously, any opinions out there on whether the Cancer Council sunglasses meet these UV standards?

Cheers

Jim

Hey Frag,

I'm pretty sure the Cancer Council sunnies meet UV standards. All you need to do is look at the swing tag, it should say Category 3, this is the Australian Standard

cheers

richard

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this info Richard. I'm always looking for (and buying) polarised sunnies without really understanding what I'm actually buying. With the info you have laid out I now get it. Appreciate you taking the time to share with fellow Fishraiders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I agree that cord is important - that's how I got rid of my previous sunglasses.

I was avid supporter of Cancer Council polarized sunglasses for years until I accidentally compared them  with other relatively cheap polarized sunglasses on a polarization testing mirror  in a prescription store. 

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I am a bit late with my report. I had cataracts removed some years ago. I also have  worn glasses most of my life. I decided to have lenses fitted at the same time. Best decision I ever made. Now have 20/20 vision.  I had  a favourite pair of sunglasses which I didn't want to part with, the doctor advised me to have glass lenses fitted to the frames. I use Tonic Rush sunnies  with glass lenses when I am fishing. I was also advised to take Blackmores Macu- vision plus tablets which helps keeping my eyes healthy.

I hope this report helps somebody.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2015 at 12:08 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

G'day Raiders,

Just wanted to let you know why you should always be wearing your sunnies outdoors, even if the sun doesn't bother you.

If you're not bothered by the sun, it is still damaging your eyes. Conditions such as pterygium, cataract and macula degeneration are all in part made worse by the sun. The later two are caused by long term sun exposure, so the effect won't show until you're older. As an optometrist I see these conditions every day. Wearing sunnies doesn't mean you won't ever get them, but research shows there's less chance and it won't be as severe

Another reason is physical protection, if a fish spits a hook under tension, flying fish hooks and eyes definitely don't mix.

Also as most of you probably know polarised sunglasses allow us to see beneath the water surface allowing us to see structure and sometimes fish.

When buying sunglasses, the don't have to be expensive to offer good protection. As long as the swing tag says they're Category 2 or 3 (the Australian standards) they should offer sufficient protection. The difference is Cat 2 offer medium sunglare reduction and Cat 3 offer high sunglare reduction. Most sunglasses sold are Cat 3

I wouldn't wear sunnies without these classifications outside has they may be doing more damage to you eyes than not wearing them. Reason is just coz a sunglass is dark doesn't mean it is blocking out UV radiation. This is the radiation that does most damage to the eyes. If you wear sunglasses without UV block , your eye's pupil enlarges (coz it's darker) thereby allowing more UV light in.

The lenses are generally made from plastic, polycarbonate or glass. Plastic lenses are the cheapest. Polycarb are the most impact resistant and lightest, but are also the easiest to scratch. Glass lenses are the most scratch resistant, but are heavier and can smash if dropped.

thanks for reading (if you made it this far)

richard

I was reading through thinking it was an ad for sunglasses.. well said mate I'm a true believer in eye protection. Lost my Ray Bans in the water last time I went out immediately bought a decent polarised pair for fishing with the strap.

• 1 month later...

I can definitely back this up. I just bought some sunglasses with an orangey/brown tint and they are really nice. polarised sunnies make so much difference when seeing fish as well. lots of the time it can be the difference between seeing fish in the water and not seeing the fish.

Another important thing is too look after your sunnies. when storing them cases or at least a pouch for them is essential otherwise they get scratched really easily and it sucks to look through them

great article!

Edited by JahmonW
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reminder Richard. I have to admit that lately I have had "sore" eyes after fishing trips. Not sure what might be causing it as I am wearing good quality polarised sunglasses.

And on top of it only few days a vein poped in my right eye - so have the terminator look for few days ( no x-ray vision aquired) 😉

Perhaps I need to pay a visit to an optometrist. 

Cheers  

Gus