Why you should always wear your sunnies

nutsaboutfishing

Has anybody had an experience with quality prescription polarised sunglasses for fishing?

I am hardly blind and would have no trouble safely functioning all things boating, however would not be able to adequately read the sounder. I would rather not have to swap from sunnies to my normal glasses every time I wanted to see what was happening on the sounder. My current lenses are the latest 'transition' lenses which means I have no need for sunnies in normal circumstances. The lenses go extremely dark when outside in high glare situations, but I'm unaware if they will be up to scratch in a marine setting out on the water.

Not after the cheapest option, more the best option...

Cheers BB 

2 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

Has anybody had an experience with quality prescription polarised sunglasses for fishing?

I am hardly blind and would have no trouble safely functioning all things boating, however would not be able to adequately read the sounder. I would rather not have to swap from sunnies to my normal glasses every time I wanted to see what was happening on the sounder. My current lenses are the latest 'transition' lenses which means I have no need for sunnies in normal circumstances. The lenses go extremely dark when outside in high glare situations, but I'm unaware if they will be up to scratch in a marine setting out on the water.

Cheers BB 

Are the transitions polarized??

That to me is a must for fishing.

You may be able to get the transitions polarized??

Then again polarized lenses aren't good for looking at screens either.

I know it can be annoying changing glasses all the time but I would also not take my $150 reading glasses on the boat for the fear of breaking or losing them.

I just take a cheapish pair of polarized polycarbonate sunnies & a cheap pair of chemist glasses for tying knots etc.

No big loss if either end up in the drink.

Edited by kingie chaser

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Are the transitions polarized??

That to me is a must for fishing.

You may be able to get the transitions polarized??

Then again polarized lenses aren't good for looking at screens either.

I know it can be annoying changing glasses all the time but I would also not take my $150 reading glasses on the boat for the fear of breaking or losing them.

I just take a cheapish pair of polarized polycarbonate sunnies & a cheap pair of chemist glasses for tying knots etc.

Last I checked, Transitions no longer do the polarized option due to warranty issues. Apparently they crack and craze due to the transitioning after a while.

11 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

Cheers BB 

I'm a long time transitions user, but I still keep a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses for fishing and driving. Like Kingie, polarised sunnies are a non-negotiable for me for fishing, but the transitions are just fine for other outdoor activities.

Another option is using clip-ons over your existing non-transitions glasses. Last I checked you can find polarised options. Not as fashionable, but functional, I'd say.

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

$5-10 sunnies leash is probably best insurance money can buy.

Many cheap so called 'polarised' sunnies incl Cancer Council branded ones just reduce the light instead of providing  actual polarisation. It is easy to check on a monitor or a polarising test mirror at most sunnies/optometrist spots.

15 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

Cheers BB 

Are you short sighted or long sighted? I had laser surgery several years ago to correct my distance vision. Now I’m better than 20/20 and it was pleasing to be able to wear whatever sunnies I wanted. But then, old age kicked in and I need to pop glasses on to read. So, when fishing, I use Barz Optics with the little magnifiers in the bottom (mine are +1.5)… best of both worlds.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Are you short sighted or long sighted? I had laser surgery several years ago to correct my distance vision. Now I’m better than 20/20 and it was pleasing to be able to wear whatever sunnies I wanted. But then, old age kicked in and I need to pop glasses on to read. So, when fishing, I use Barz Optics with the little magnifiers in the bottom (mine are +1.5)… best of both worlds.

Never seen those before.

The Floaters & San Juan's look pretty groovy but to much coin for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Last I checked, Transitions no longer do the polarized option due to warranty issues. Apparently they crack and craze due to the transitioning after a while.

I'm a long time transitions user, but I still keep a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses for fishing and driving. Like Kingie, polarised sunnies are a non-negotiable for me for fishing, but the transitions are just fine for other outdoor activities.

Another option is using clip-ons over your existing non-transitions glasses. Last I checked you can find polarised options. Not as fashionable, but functional, I'd say.

I  know my  company no longer does the polarised transitions. But anyhow I think the amount of polarisation in Transitions Xtractive is not as much as a straight polarised lens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bowler Bob said:

Cheers BB 

Hey BB,

Have you considered the polarised clip ons that flip up. They're not the most fashionable but they'd go on top of your normal glasses (I'm assuming they're multifocals), then they'd be not need to swap between glasses then. 

Otherwise you can get a pair of polarised ones just for fishing (as your transitions is good for other situations), but again if they're multifocals that won't be cheap.

If  your going to use your prescription glasses on the water it's  a MUST to clean  them in fresh water when your finished because your glasses probably have an anti-reflection coating that can be a bit fragile.

cheers

Richard

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 1:29 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

I also highly recommend you attach a spec cord to your sunnies, the type that  loops around your neck, coz when you lean overboard to pick up that 1m+ kingy your sunnies can easily slip of into the ocean. Learn from my experience. (the losing the specs bit not the 1m+ kingy)

Richard

i learned the hard way , got  on a hire boat with 4 other blokes  and because i was switching from  sunglasses  to reading glasses   to bait  and rig others lines  i sat on a brand new pair of  sunglasses  ...... never again , i bought   a spec cord  as soon as i got home for my next pair, 

• 1 year later...