Live bait tank

General Zod

Ok, where to start. I wanted a live bait tank, not a portable one because when I go fishing with the family it’s in the way. I like to put something in then leave it and not have to worry about it after.

I wanted something big, but space and cost was an issue. The bank didn’t approve of the funds (wife) and the boat really didn’t have a lot of space anyway. I was scared a small one wouldn’t be good enough but then I just kept researching, and researching and what I found was as long as I can turn over the water every now and then, the fish should be fine. So I went on that after reading and seeing it. With all this wind and wet weather and coldness I thought it was a good time to do it as well. Bit by bit.

Now I didn’t want a bilge pump hanging off the transom, although there’s nothing wrong with that, I just didn’t like the look of it. (Personal choice I guess).

Thru hull I thought about it and decided not to go that way because there would be consent pressure pushing water thru the hull and even though there would be a shut off valve I just didn’t want that. . (Again personal choice) Maybe later down the track

So I went to boat show rooms and saw how they had thru transom fit outs, it looked neat and effective so did research and thought that’s what I’ll do. Now I didn’t want to drill a hole in the transom but after seeing YouTube and the show room boats I decided what the hell, all it is; is a hole with Sikaflex around the skin fitting, just like the drain plugs in the back of all boats. I just had to come to terms that my boat could take in some, alright a lot of water if I didn’t do it right. But I’m confident with my projects and I’m pretty confident it will work. There’s no secret trick to it, just common sense. (Fingers crossed)

Now I did make some mistakes along the way with other things but it all worked out fine in the end. I should of set everything up before drilling but that’s ok because I made it look like that’s what the holes where meant for anyway.

I see it this way. My mistakes are your gain.

So here is the almost finished product, it’s a 25ltr Johnson live well bait tank from flee bay $90 new and unused from a bloke that had it sitting in the garage for a while, with a new Rule 500 tournament series pump and some flow-rite connections. Still need to add a light.

The goodies from flowrite, (Marine Warehouse in Australia)

1a.jpg

To begin with, where I’m I to put it. Easy choice, ladder gone that’s where. Cut the hole first using the template which came with it.

1.jpg

After drilling and fitting all the skin fittings it can hold 19.5ltrs of water, which is ok for me. But as u get near the finish of this post you’ll see it can hold a lot of live bait

3.png

Fit the live well tank and pre drill holes and extra ones for that extra support. I reckon I shouldn’t have cut any holes in the tank yet, but too late I did. Luckily I brought a drain plug.

2.jpg

I needed to removed the bilge pump outlet and put it on the drive side where I can see it if I need to pump out the water. Before I couldn’t even see if it was pumping out the water. I will use that hole for the over flow for the live bait tank. I needed to file the hole bigger to fit the 28mm skin fitting. The hose from Flow-rite is good but not flexible enough. The one in the pic is more flexible, less strain on the fittings.

4.jpg

5.jpg

New bilge pump out hole with new 19mm elbow skin fitting from Flowrite. I used the old hose as well, still in great condition.

6_1.png

Now the drainage for the LBT (live bait tank) this is where I made the mistake of drilling a hole before I actually had a proper look to line up the drainage out with the outlet. Although the water will still drain out there will be some water left in the hose. Not a big deal, but it’s just that I want it prefect. So

I will use this outlet for the bait board now. I hated turning the bait board around to clean it, and the bloody water and guts which fill down the bottom part. Now by putting a drain there it allows me to clean it easily and acts as a little burley bucket as well after I gut the fish.

8.jpg

Now I need a straight skin fitting as I’m going to let the LBT drain out the back of the boat, thru the transom but above the water line. This was a bit difficult because I couldn’t get my hand inside to tighten the bolt was I had to look around to find something like this (MA-072-QLB Qwik-Lok bulkhead thru-hull) sort of like a reverse skin fitting. I just needed to modify it and cut off one side to make it work the way I needed it. see below

9.png

10.png

to be continued.....

Edited by General Zod