Cox's

shred

Has anyone been fishing the cox's lately?

Went down near ganbenang recently and didn't even see a fish all day. thought I saw a rise and it was a water rat. Lol

Has anyone been downstream further ? Was thinking about going for a long bushwalk soon for the run from gamba.

Cheers

Edited by shred

Oh june long weekend. Of course.

What a joke. Can't believe trout an introduced species gets a complete closed season and u can target native bass that are breeding in big schools.

Guess I'm going for a walk below little river

Edited by shred

Oh june long weekend. Of course.

What a joke. Can't believe trout an introduced species gets a complete closed season and u can target native bass that are breeding in big schools.

Guess I'm going for a walk below little river

I'm pretty sure bass has a closed season as well.

From the dpi site......

Australian Bass and Estuary Perch

Legal length: Only 1 over 35cm.

Bag limit: 2 in total*, 4 in possession.

Closure: Zero bag limit for Australian Bass and Estuary Perch in rivers and estuaries from 1 May to 31 August each year. Any Australian Bass or Estuary Perch caught during this period must be immediately returned to the

water unharmed.

You can legally target bass you just can't keep em, as it says above. 99% of my fishing is for bass I go twice a week, so I definately know the rules for that one. I do know the rules for trout I just didn't realise it was already that time of the year. You can't even fish a stream that has trout in it when they are spawning, It'd be nice if the natives got given the same respect.. . It just seems weird. Oh well

Edited by shred

There are parts of the Cowmung I think that can be fished in the closed season for trout, but it's a pretty fair hike to get to it. It's interesting that you can fish catch and release for bass but not trout during the winter. Perhaps the bass are more hardy and less likely to die once returned to the water compared to trout?

it will be time soon for some long walks to get some legal river trout. i almost went this weekend

agreed it seems strange to protect a non native but i guess it's all about the $$ i.e the closed season is to protect the investment in stocking the trout and additionally fishing streams for trout usually means walking in the shallow parts of the river and walking there will assist to kill the eggs and reduce what natural recruitment there is... the ability to target bass and have a catch and release policy doesn't seem right to me though

It isn't right, but unfortunately the bass/EPs spawn in the same areas as people legitimately target bream, flathead and jew which makes it next to impossible to police. It would be good if we encouraged fishermen to leave them alone during the closed season.

Matt

There are parts of the Cowmung I think that can be fished in the closed season for trout, but it's a pretty fair hike to get to it. It's interesting that you can fish catch and release for bass but not trout during the winter. Perhaps the bass are more hardy and less likely to die once returned to the water compared to trout?

There are streams in Victoria where people can fish for natives or redfin but have to release any trout caught in the closed season, I'm not sure how well that system works but its certainly possible to run things that way.

NSW Fisheries were looking at opening some of the current trout streams during winter but it seems to have been put into the too hard basket for the moment, winter fishing is a very divisive issue amongst trout fishers.

Charles

Road the six foot track on Sunday from megalong to the Coxs for a look, plenty of water didn't see any fish, I wonder how far the trout make it up the river to spawn.Been trying to figure out which way is the quickest to get to little river keen to get down there as well

Road the six foot track on Sunday from megalong to the Coxs for a look, plenty of water didn't see any fish, I wonder how far the trout make it up the river to spawn.Been trying to figure out which way is the quickest to get to little river keen to get down there as well

Can't say I've done any good in Little River,you can drive right across it on the road to Gibraltar Rocks if you have a 4WD,should be able to find a few vids on Youtube , people used to drive to the end of Black Range Rd and walk down to the Cox maybe the locals have moved out but it was a risky area to leave your car.

can be a risky area full stop, stay on the rivers and main tracks cant really call police or an ambulance down there, but on the other hand its a beautiful part of the world, its a tough walk but can be rewarding

• 1 month later...

Has anybody been down to the Cox (below Jenolan) or any of the tributaries this winter? I went in a couple of years ago and the winter fishing was good (not as good as I've seen it but still worth the walk). Reports have been fairly negative over the last couple of years despite decent rain. Worth checking out again??

• 2 weeks later...

hey how you going guys just wondefing where i can fish for bass in the coxs river im from sydney so want to make a worthwhile trip there

can anyone give me advice where to catch bass and somewhere i can put in my gps so i know where to go etc

also just what rigs are best etc.

thanks much appreciated if someone could give me some pointers