Day out with Scratchie

garfield28

Hi Raiders,

Just a big shout out to Scratchie for coming along with the young bloke and I yesterday to give us some tips and tricks on fishing and also boating.

Although it wasn't as productive early as Jeff had hopped we had a great day out in the water on a cracking day in beautiful Port Stehpens. We saw so many whales both close by and in the distance which was an awesome sight, and a first for the young bloke and I.

We started trolling around one of the islands with not much luck as there was no sight of any bait fish showing up on the sounder, but we went around a few times and the scene was absolutely beautiful the water was so crystal clear we could see the bottom in 20 meters of water, the view was exceptional! Next we moved onto one of Scratchies spots which was being occupied by another boat so we anchored up not too far away and didn't take long to start catching fish. We caught a mixed bag of small and just undersized fish, and also lost a few big ones. I had a monster that clean snapped me off on 50lb braid!!

We finished off trolling and caught a heap of Bonito. It was the first time we had ever caught this great fighting fish and they were thick and plentiful, we didn't have to move too far before we'd hook up again and again. I caught one which Scratchie said was as big a Bonito he had seen (should have had my pic taken with it but didn't), it put up a great fight and was really fun to catch. Jeff set the young bloke up a rig on some light gear and he said the Bonito on that rod felt like the biggest fish he had ever caught, he was extremely happy talking about it on the trip home :D

Anyhow myself and the young fella had a great afternoon out on the water learning some new techniques and catching some species we hadn't before along with some awesome Whale watching. Thanks for the afternoon Jeff was awesome and would love to do it again with you when you are free.

Cheers

Geoff

It was a great arvo on the water!

The story goes...... I contacted Garfield28 as I knew he was sort of local and new to the forum and seemed very keen to get out. With the beautiful weather this weekend and with many other commitments, there was only a small window of 4hrs Saturday arvo that I could make.

So with Geoff and his son Ryan we headed off from shoal bay. As they said they had never trolled before I thought it might be a good way to start and then we'll anchor up for an hour or two and try and find some snapper. As Geoff said, the first hour trolling was crap, no bait, cold water and no takers. So with my spot already taken we anchored up and set out the burley!

We caught a fair few fish and many different species. I dropped probably 2 good fish, on unweighted pillies down the trail and Geoff got snapped on 50lb wow!

With light fading and commitments calling I thought bugger it, once last troll. Within seconds the boys were on single, double, single, doubled whilst clearing the other line. In actual fact, they landed 6 bonito in 5 minutes! Then I thought one last fish before we decide to go again and tied the rapala on some silly string and we gave it to the young fella. On again in seconds and it was great watching Ryan try to get this thing to the boat. He did really well and with that end the trip! Not a bad 4 session, with all fish released.

Sorry I didn't help clean the boat but I had to fly! It was great to meet you and your son. I hope I helped you with a thing or two and until next time!

Tight lines!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest 4myson

Well done Geoff & good on ya for taking your kid out . Thank god for people like Scratchie who don't mind spending time with fellow Fishraiders & showing them how it's done. Good on ya Scratchie !!!

Thanks everyone, yeah it was a top day in good company.

Thanks heaps again Scratchie, never mind the cleaning mate I knew you had commitments and really appreciated your time and the gear you brought to make a great outing for us. Was great to meet you mate, a gentleman and a scholar!

Can't wait till we can do it again.

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by garfield28

Guest no one

Careful of that really large no fishing zone at Broughton! I hear they give out ridiculously huge fines for trolling 25 meters inside the huge zone!

[emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

Careful of that really large no fishing zone at Broughton! I hear they give out ridiculously huge fines for trolling 25 meters inside the huge zone!

[emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

It's ok mate, I'm a local. I've seen quite a few idiots get caught there, even after all the warnings! Lol :)

I'm all seriousness, a fisherman died there on Saturday when we were out. No life jacket, very sad.

Really? Did he sink?

Two got thrown out by a rogue wave and one didn't make it. I can't work out how as the conditions were very good. They must have been fishing a bommy! Im hearing there boat is wedged on the rocks up there.

No worries Geoff. Next time we'll go up to broughton island. Some great fishing up there and there should be a snapper or two about.

Talk soon!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Look forward to it mate.

It's ok mate, I'm a local. I've seen quite a few idiots get caught there, even after all the warnings! Lol :)

I'm all seriousness, a fisherman died there on Saturday when we were out. No life jacket, very sad.

That is sad mate, and like you say the conditions were good so makes you wonder what went wrong.

I found a link on the accident. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-killed-after-wave-flips-boat-off-port-stephens-20150628-gi076b.html

Edited by garfield28