Inshore and offshore flares

vos

My offshore flares have expired, went to BCF to get some new ones and they only had inshore flares. The lady tried to tell me that these are also ok for offshore, but I wasn't going to take her word for it.

So my question is, Is it illegal to be offshore with only inshore flares? I am guessing no, but just checking after what the BCF lady said.

Cheers

I'm fairly sure the offshore kits include parachute flares also. There is a commercial kit as well as the offshore racing kit the Syd to Hobart guys require.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly sure the offshore kits include parachute flares also. There is a commercial kit as well as the offshore racing kit the Syd to Hobart guys require.

You aré correct, the only difference of the offshore is the parachute,

Its a state to state thing , in WA you are required to carry the off shore kit when going wide , in NSW you are only required to carry the inshore flare kit but then need to be equipt with radio and EPIRB.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all, I'm a bit confused,,I've just bought a boat and went to BCF to get the required safety equipment and flares are not on the list for enclosed waters,,there only used in open waters,,I'm in Sydney and intend never to go outside..all that is required is.

Life jacket

Anchor and chain

Bailer /Bucket

Fire Bucket

Fire extinguisher

Paddle

Safety label

Sound signal air horn or whistle

Waterproof torch.

Hey muzza. You have to know exactly where you are fishing because parts of Botany Bay and Sydney harbour are considered open waters. Carrying water and flare kit is a small expense compared to the issue of fines if caught on the wrong side of bear island in Botany Bay. The boating safety book by rms page26-27 spells out the requirements.

I'm confused about enclosed waters meaning inside and open waters meaning outside, what is enclosed waters then??, also the people at BCF after asking them what safety gear I need for inside the bay fishing like the Hawksbury and up to lion island didn't mention anything about inshore flares outside flares etc etc,,doesn't worry me if I have to buy them, but if I don't need to buy them then I won't!!,,,I just want to be compliant... That's all...

It's not as straight forward as it could be as everything has a caveat.

Enclosed waters. Are waters within the heads of a waterway heading to sea. ( except in some places like Sydney harbour where the line is further back due to heavy water movement or reasons known only by the policy makers)

Open waters is outside the heads ( or closer in if noted as above) and includes inshore and off shore.

Think of it as inside the estuary and outside the estuary.

With the exception of radio and epirb. All rules revolve around these classifications. I. E. In or out of the estuary or heads

The next problem is the marine police will use different terminology that doesn't seem to match what the maritime documents state.

I would suggest. Just like ric001 states. If inside heads Get everything on both lists. It's not much extra.

If you go outside the heads get a radio and epirb. A, the police will always pull rank but more importantly....

If you end up in an emergency situation you don't know where you will drift and that is when you will be glad you invested.

Pm. Me if still confused. It is confusing, but long story short over gunn your safety gear. Best case is you have more than you need. Worse case is dead at sea.