What fish species head is that (TUNA)

Adam Chef

Question

Hi everyone, I spotted this yesterday in mortlake (parramata river) swimming neare the park at the end of the hilly street

Does anyone know what spiece is that? Size of the human head

post-19995-0-08438000-1436087250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adam Chef

20 answers to this question

Guest no one

Guys that's not a beak, that's an illusion caused by the water, half the head is out of the water half of it is in causing the head to look like it has a beak!

#science

Guest no one

From what i've seen Baby Dolphins have pronounced snouts, this does not.

Dolphins mouths finish just under the eye, this mouth finishes before the eye. The mouth also turns down like a tunas

This fish has a big eye, Dolphins don't.

Id call Yellowfin. But in my eyes certainly a Tuna!

Other things to consider: Its in the Parra, So its most likely been caught outside and cleaned and disposed off at the ramp, also no visible wounds on the head which id think rules out a shark as when they feed they pretty much try to bite everythingand would have damaged it more.

So unless the local Parramatta community is eating Dolphin id put money on Tuna.

id13835pic1.jpg

Gentleman, after confering with over 10 commercial fishos from FNQ to Eden and Fisheries and after cutting off more tuna heads than i can think off in a past life, it is an extremely young bottlenose dolphin.

Damn that water refraction. It makes ID'ing difficult!

However, if you look closely, there's one thing that gives it away. The striations behind the eye. Compare to the pic below. There's a label covering part of the feature I'm referring to, but I think I;m on the right track here. I'd say a tuna for sure.

81d74b0d7a71f5f5e572e936bc8b3aee.jpeg

Just goes to show that even photos are not the best evidence. Those striations i mentioned, if Taronga Zoo staff are right, and I have no reason to doubt them, must have been the result of decomposition. Still it was fun trying to ID the remains.